User Tag List

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sanity Check on Lithium Battery + Inverter/Charger + Generator + Battery Monitor Set

We just picked up our used 29RS yesterday and are now plotting our energy package. First off, we are going to replace the 8 cu ft, 2-way Dometic fridge with a 10.1 cu ft residential Magic Chef (297 annual kwH per the yellow sticker). Other than that, we have no extraordinary energy draws. If we are somewhere where we know we will be needing AC, then will plan on paying for a space with shore power. We usually RV for about 30 to 70 nights per year. We tend to move around a lot, with most all of our stops being one, two or three nights. So we are trying to build an energy package that will let us spend two or possibly three nights away from shore power without requiring too much (if any) generator usage. After a boondock stay of one, two or three nights, we would plan to get back to shore power to get a full recharge of the battery bank.

We have no plans to add solar at the moment. Our 2017 29RS only has the prewire port under the nose of the fifth wheel with no prewire to the roof. If we had the roof prewire, I would consider adding a panel or two up there. I don't really like the idea of messing around with suitcase solar plugged into the port under the nose.

Given that, the current thinking is:

(2) 200 amp Ampere Time lithium batteries (400 total amp battery bank)
    Victron Multiplus 3000 120 amp charger
    Victron Smart Shunt 500 amp

Total Amazon cart for these items including tax is $3161.

Honda 2000 or 2200, used from craigslist -- $500 - $750

So for under $4,000, I think we should be set up well for two nights on just the battery bank assuming no AC usage. If we want to stretch for a third night, then would we likely need to run the Honda for a few hours to get us through to shore power on the following day. I think this set up would allow to add an extra 200 amp battery in the future if we find we are wanting more extended boondocking stays.

My questions:

Does our package make sense in relation to the way we typically camp?

Are the pieces of the package matched up fairly well with no overkill?

How much is a guesstimate for install cost for the Amazon cart items? I am not sure I would get it right if I did it myself. If a bunch of you were going to tell me how easy it is, then I might take it on myself.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It really depends on how much you use appliances and the heater blower as to how long 400 ah would last. I think it would get you thru 2 cold nights, but maybe not 3.
    If you are going to boondock most of the time I wouldn't change out the propane frig. If you need more space get one of those 12 volt coolers and you can use it in the truck as well. We have one that also is a freezer.
    I would go with a larger generator so I could run one AC unit while charging the batteries. I also would go with a new generator unless you can somehow verify history and usage.
    You are also going to want a DC to DC charger so you can charge from the truck while driving.
    I changed out my converter, put together battery cells, and wired in a few other things. You need to know your way around behind that wall in the basement. Something will happen that you need to get in there.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    We just picked up our used 29RS yesterday and are now plotting our energy package. First off, we are going to replace the 8 cu ft, 2-way Dometic fridge with a 10.1 cu ft residential Magic Chef (297 annual kwH per the yellow sticker). Other than that, we have no extraordinary energy draws. If we are somewhere where we know we will be needing AC, then will plan on paying for a space with shore power. We usually RV for about 30 to 70 nights per year. We tend to move around a lot, with most all of our stops being one, two or three nights. So we are trying to build an energy package that will let us spend two or possibly three nights away from shore power without requiring too much (if any) generator usage. After a boondock stay of one, two or three nights, we would plan to get back to shore power to get a full recharge of the battery bank.

We have no plans to add solar at the moment. Our 2017 29RS only has the prewire port under the nose of the fifth wheel with no prewire to the roof. If we had the roof prewire, I would consider adding a panel or two up there. I don't really like the idea of messing around with suitcase solar plugged into the port under the nose.

Given that, the current thinking is:

(2) 200 amp Ampere Time lithium batteries (400 total amp battery bank)
    Victron Multiplus 3000 120 amp charger
    Victron Smart Shunt 500 amp

Total Amazon cart for these items including tax is $3161.

Honda 2000 or 2200, used from craigslist -- $500 - $750

So for under $4,000, I think we should be set up well for two nights on just the battery bank assuming no AC usage. If we want to stretch for a third night, then would we likely need to run the Honda for a few hours to get us through to shore power on the following day. I think this set up would allow to add an extra 200 amp battery in the future if we find we are wanting more extended boondocking stays.

My questions:

Does our package make sense in relation to the way we typically camp?

Are the pieces of the package matched up fairly well with no overkill?

How much is a guesstimate for install cost for the Amazon cart items? I am not sure I would get it right if I did it myself. If a bunch of you were going to tell me how easy it is, then I might take it on myself.
    The short answer is yes, I do think your proposed system is a good match for your stated boondocking requirements. I like the fact that you are willing to add an extra battery if you fall short of your two to three day goal.

My only question is: do you camp anywhere where you might need to run the furnace overnight? I ask because with your proposed setup, I think you would only get one night of furnace operation when you consider the additional electrical draw from your residential fridge.

Once you get your system installed, you can test it by camping at a site with hookups but do not hookup to shore power. Camp like you would if you were boondocking. After I installed my system, we spent a month in a campground about an hour away from our house (this way we could spend time with the family during the holidays). We did not use Shore power for any 12v systems (charger was turned off) and we tested the battery to full empty (also, the nights were cold so the furnace was running). Based on this test, we decided we needed an additional battery (500 ah) because the furnace used so much energy each night.

One change I would make to your equipment list is with the Inverter/Charger; Victron now has a new 3000 Watt Inverter that energizes both legs of your coach (I think they call it the x2 ?) This would prove to be very handy to have all outlets in your coach on the Inverter (If you have a 50 amp coach).

As far as installation goes; the installation is fairly simple, as long as you are comfortable with both AC and DC wiring.

PS: your list of parts did not include any switches or fuses, I recommend going with the Blue Sea switches (had off-brand fail on me and Blue Sea is simply the best I found).

PPS: not having pre-wiring for Solar is not any reason to stay away from Solar (Solar is Awesome). If you do consider Solar, in the future, I would recommend you consider a real system (1200 Watts plus) because "A couple of panels with a 600 ah battery bank would give you very disappointing results. I further recommend you consider Residential Solar panels in the ~325 Watt range because of the excellent Price per watt ( at $0.64 cents per watt, four 325 Watt panels [1,300 Watts] would only cost ~ $800 that is almost the same as you are going to pay for your generator).

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SolarPoweredRV View Post
    The short answer is yes, I do think your proposed system is a good match for your stated boondocking requirements. I like the fact that you are willing to add an extra battery if you fall short of your two to three day goal.

My only question is: do you camp anywhere where you might need to run the furnace overnight? I ask because with your proposed setup, I think you would only get one night of furnace operation when you consider the additional electrical draw from your residential fridge.

Once you get your system installed, you can test it by camping at a site with hookups but do not hookup to shore power. Camp like you would if you were boondocking. After I installed my system, we spent a month in a campground about an hour away from our house (this way we could spend time with the family during the holidays). We did not use Shore power for any 12v systems (charger was turned off) and we tested the battery to full empty (also, the nights were cold so the furnace was running). Based on this test, we decided we needed an additional battery (500 ah) because the furnace used so much energy each night.

One change I would make to your equipment list is with the Inverter/Charger; Victron now has a new 3000 Watt Inverter that energizes both legs of your coach (I think they call it the x2 ?) This would prove to be very handy to have all outlets in your coach on the Inverter (If you have a 50 amp coach).

As far as installation goes; the installation is fairly simple, as long as you are comfortable with both AC and DC wiring.

PS: your list of parts did not include any switches or fuses, I recommend going with the Blue Sea switches (had off-brand fail on me and Blue Sea is simply the best I found).

PPS: not having pre-wiring for Solar is not any reason to stay away from Solar (Solar is Awesome). If you do consider Solar, in the future, I would recommend you consider a real system (1200 Watts plus) because "A couple of panels with a 600 ah battery bank would give you very disappointing results. I further recommend you consider Residential Solar panels in the ~325 Watt range because of the excellent Price per watt ( at $0.64 cents per watt, four 325 Watt panels [1,300 Watts] would only cost ~ $800 that is almost the same as you are going to pay for your generator).

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.
    Thanks for the great feedback. We do have a 50 amp coach and would benefit from the version of the Victron that you noted. So I will look for that online. I did not price in any switches or fuses because of ignorance. I will have to find a good youtube to get further down the learning curve if I am going to attempt a self install.

We are more oriented to warm camping that cold camping. We both grew up in the Phoenix area and are heat adapted. We hardly ever ran the furnace in our prior fifth wheel. If things were a bit chilly, we would run a little electric cube heater or the fireplace heater. I am not sure how the electric draw of those cube heaters compares to the draw from the coach's furnace. So we are not going to do much planning around cold camping as we typically don't target that experience.

We have nothing against solar. If we had the roof prewire like the newer model years, then we would likely add at least one panel up to the capacity of whatever the stock wire gauge would support. But a DIY solar install from the roof is more than I want to bite off. And I have not found any local solar installer yet in the Phoenix area that I felt offered a good value. As you know, the total cost for solar is more than just the panels. The panels are very affordable. But adding in the install labor, controller and various other bits and pieces starts to add up.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the great feedback. We do have a 50 amp coach and would benefit from the version of the Victron that you noted. So I will look for that online. I did not price in any switches or fuses because of ignorance. I will have to find a good youtube to get further down the learning curve if I am going to attempt a self install.

We are more oriented to warm camping that cold camping. We both grew up in the Phoenix area and are heat adapted. We hardly ever ran the furnace in our prior fifth wheel. If things were a bit chilly, we would run a little electric cube heater or the fireplace heater. I am not sure how the electric draw of those cube heaters compares to the draw from the coach's furnace. So we are not going to do much planning around cold camping as we typically don't target that experience.

We have nothing against solar. If we had the roof prewire like the newer model years, then we would likely add at least one panel up to the capacity of whatever the stock wire gauge would support. But a DIY solar install from the roof is more than I want to bite off. And I have not found any local solar installer yet in the Phoenix area that I felt offered a good value. As you know, the total cost for solar is more than just the panels. The panels are very affordable. But adding in the install labor, controller and various other bits and pieces starts to add up.
    The cube heaters, and fireplaces draw 1500 watts. That is a 125 amp hit on the batteries. The furnace is generally in the 20-30 amp range.... IOW, your idea will not serve you well.
    Use the furnace.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    The cube heaters, and fireplaces draw 1500 watts. That is a 125 amp hit on the batteries. The furnace is generally in the 20-30 amp range.... IOW, your idea will not serve you well.
    Use the furnace.
    Good to know on the heat sources. Confirms that in order to battery bank boondock in relative comfort (absent significant solar) for a couple of days one needs fair weather where neither AC nor heat are needed. Of course, running a generator for hours on end is an option, but that is not something we desire to listen to for more than a few hours here and there.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good to know on the heat sources. Confirms that in order to battery bank boondock in relative comfort (absent significant solar) for a couple of days one needs fair weather where neither AC nor heat are needed. Of course, running a generator for hours on end is an option, but that is not something we desire to listen to for more than a few hours here and there.
    With a 600 ah battery bank, using your furnace overnight is very, very, doable.

Depending on how much energy your Residential refrigerator uses, you may need to run your generator for a couple of hours each day to recharge your batteries, but nothing like hours on end (with Lithium batteries). I would guess that using the furnace might cut off one day of Boondocking without a Generator.

Even living in Florida we have camped during some very cold nights without any problems. Additionally, when we visited Arizona we needed to run the furnace at night, the Desert gets cold at night.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK