User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

28G Momentum Suspension Upgrade Surprise

Since buying our 28G and considering this our last trailer purchase, I have slowly been making upgrades. Recently I upgraded the suspension using the “Dexter Heavy Duty Equalizer kit with Wet Bolts”. I am happy with the kit; the installation was not difficult and the cost was reasonable. As I pulled the original components off, I was shocked and surprised to find the condition of the original brass bushings. All bushings had wear to the point of no material left. The rear bushings wear was excessive. One bushing came out in multiple small pieces and the other bushing had worn to the point that one side was disintegrated.
    I have put on about 6K miles since the purchase, add another 3500 miles for shipment from Indiana to Washington State and round up to say 10K miles. The amount of wear in the bushings is substantial for the mileage in my opinion.
    Curious to see if others have found this type of wear?
    Due to the excessive wear, I would encourage others to make the upgrade to wet bolts.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210626_150330135_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210626_150326721_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210626_150322232_HDR.jpg  
    Scott O.
    2018 Ram 2500 Big Horn Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Lots of people have reported the same over the years. I replaced my springs, equalizer and wet bolts on my Momentum after 1 year. They had nylon bushings, but were surprisingly in good condition.

On a side note, I would get some rust reformer and spray it all over your frame, springs and probably axles. Looks like you have a lot of surface rust, best to address it before it's a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On a side note, I would get some rust reformer and spray it all over your frame, springs and probably axles. Looks like you have a lot of surface rust, best to address it before it's a problem.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the tip and I agree, that is one of the items on my list this fall
    Scott O.
    2019 28G Momentum

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Identical photos to my suspension upgrade last week! We have a (new to us) 2019 2930RL. Miles on it are two trips from Minnesota to Phoenix. I installed a Morryde shackle \ wet bolt kit for our Dexter 7k axles. My bushings were identical to yours, although 2 of them were totally gone with nothing left for me to remove from the springs. While I was in there I greased wheel bearings and found 2 leaking grease seals that also ruined the brake assemblies.

I'm now in the process of installing the Roadmaster shock absorber kit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    Identical photos to my suspension upgrade last week! We have a (new to us) 2019 2930RL. Miles on it are two trips from Minnesota to Phoenix. I installed a Morryde shackle \ wet bolt kit for our Dexter 7k axles. My bushings were identical to yours, although 2 of them were totally gone with nothing left for me to remove from the springs. While I was in there I greased wheel bearings and found 2 leaking grease seals that also ruined the brake assemblies.

I'm now in the process of installing the Roadmaster shock absorber kit.
    The next weekend after the suspension upgrade, I tackled the bearings, found all 4 wheels had blown seals (guessing my fault due to not following the correct process when adding grease via the zerks). After cleaning everything up and testing the brakes all work well. I did replace the bearings and races on one wheel due to slight discoloration on the bearing. I am sure it would have been fine but no reason not the change them once everything was torn down.

Next Spring, the to do list includes either shock absorbers like you are doing (let us know how it goes) or Sumosprings. Also, I have been looking into upgrading to disc brakes and am toying with upgraded axles as well.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_20210704_140256161_HDR.jpg   IMG_20210704_140252421.jpg  
    Scott O.
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Common because the spring eyes are not perfectly round. The bronze bushings are regular maintenance items.

I think on a Momentum, you'd much prefer the Roadmaster shocks. They are great!

Can of Eastwood rust converter will be a much easier way to go.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming down the home stretch with the Roadmaster shock kit. Its a well designed kit that's not bad to install. I found it easier to take the wheels off when drilling the frame holes. I also did a locknut on the upper mount bolts (see photo). Sorry for the shade / sun in the photo. Was the best I could do at the time.

This completes my suspension work for now. In my opinion upgrading shackles, wet bolts, and new bushings along with the shock kit are relatively low cost upgrades that are well worth the money and time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3168F014-0EF9-46E4-AA5A-9D8D7C7C1D7E.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	36851
    Last edited by roegs01; 09-25-2021 at 08:12 PM.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    Common because the spring eyes are not perfectly round. The bronze bushings are regular maintenance items.

I think on a Momentum, you'd much prefer the Roadmaster shocks. They are great!

Can of Eastwood rust converter will be a much easier way to go.
    Thanks for the tip on the Eastwood rust converter! Hoping to have a few other weekends rain free to work on the frame. Since my hunting and camping area is in the middle of the Schneider springs fire in Eastern WA, I may have a lot more time on my hands to get a few projects done. Thanks again.
    Scott O.
    2019 28G Momentum

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by roegs01 View Post
    Coming down the home stretch with the Roadmaster shock kit. Its a well designed kit that's not bad to install. I found it easier to take the wheels off when drilling the frame holes. I also did a locknut on the upper mount bolts (see photo). Sorry for the shade / sun in the photo. Was the best I could do at the time.

This completes my suspension work for now. In my opinion upgrading shackles, wet bolts, and new bushings along with the shock kit are relatively low cost upgrades that are well worth the money and time.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3168F014-0EF9-46E4-AA5A-9D8D7C7C1D7E.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	36851
    Looks great. When I did my initial research on the shock kit, I was also thinking of the lock nut route, so glad to see it worked for you. Any issues drilling into the I beam frame? I always worry if introducing new holes will promote cracking. Thanks for following up with info.
    Scott O.
    2019 28G Momentum

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bcv1218 View Post
    Any issues drilling into the I beam frame? I always worry if introducing new holes will promote cracking. Thanks for following up with info.
    I was a little concerned at first with drilling holes in the frame, but after getting underneath and looking around, these are basically a few more holes similar to the bolts holding the coroplast in place along the frame. The frame itself is relatively soft and drilled very easy. After drilling, you drive in the 3/8" self tapping bolts and then lock nuts on top of that (when possible to install). I thought about purchasing a 90* drill adapter but in the end I found that long drill bits worked well for the holes.
    2019 Solitude S-Class 2930RL
    2021 RAM 3500 SRW CC Short Box HO Cummins Rear Air Suspension