Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A/C drawing too much current

I have a GD 22MLE with a GE A/C Model ARC15AACBL2. I also have a Hughes Watchdog 30a surge protector with auto shutoff, it is hard wired. The rig was new in April 2021. We have used it on previous trips and the A/C and Hughes seemed to play well together. In addition, I have a 2021 Ford F150 Powerboost with the built in 7.2kW generator. It also has worked fine with the A/C and the Hughes. However, in prepping for a future trip I plugged in the rig to the truck to get some A/C going to make it more pleasant while packing up. The A/C keeps popping the Hughes auto shutoff when it tries to start. I had my wife monitor the generator meters in the truck and when the A/C comes on it maxes out the truck to the full 3600 watts on that leg of the generator and then the Hughes pops off the circuit. The truck still runs everything else fine in the rig, the Hughes is happy plugged into the truck, green lights all around, I can run the microwave no problem for example, etc.

I have tried starting the fan on low first, letting that initial motor surge level out (it draws about 250watts on low) and then starting the A/C, still no luck.

I'm at a loss where to start, thoughts on what to check out on the A/C unit? I'd consider a softstart capacitor but things have worked in the past so I'd rather not do that. The breaker for the A/C unit is a 20amp breaker but it doesn't pop at all during this process. I don't know if that is because the Hughes is more sensitive or because it is some kind of delay circuit breaker. The breaker looks like the others in the rig with the exception of being 20amps. Regardless the breaker doesn't pop.

Any help is appreciated? I'm a moderate DIY guy so if there is something I can check with my ohm meter let me know. TIA.
    Dave & Debbie
    ----------------------
    2021 Ford F150 Lariat PowerBoost Supercrew 4x4 with 7.2kW generator
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A clamp-on meter will tell you what the compressor is actually drawing. Eliminate one variable at a time. Start by removing the autoformer, then try to run the AC on generator, then on just straight shore power. Do one item at a time. If you take out all the variable at once and the AC runs correctly, you won't know what it was causing the problem.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Turn off your converter/battery charger and try it again (breaker). Also the frig.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was having a similar situation. I believe the Watchdog that you have has a Bluetooth App that will show you amps, volts and power used. You can find out what is going on by turning everything A/C powered off and then get then connect the trailer to the generator. Individually add load, refrigerator, convertor, electric water heater and A/C monitoring the app. In my trailer it added up to 30A pretty easily, had to strip off A/C loads. Wife wanted to dry her hair at the same.
    Last edited by quiglenj; 09-28-2021 at 07:59 AM.
    2020 Imagine 2500RL
    ProPride P3
    2021 F250 6.7L PSD

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did you figure out your issue? I also have the GE AC and installed the microstart with Bluetooth. Makes a big difference. I'd put one on again without hesitation.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)