User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22
  1. #1
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    3rd planet from the sun
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Exclamation Check your metal valve stems!

    Check your valve stems! Let me explain. I had pulled out of a campsite and moved my GD 351M to another site about a mile away. Got out of the truck and heard air escaping from a tire on the trailer. I thought I had a puncture and watched as the tire quickly deflated. I removed the tire and inspected it and could find no puncture. I began re-inflating it and pouring water over it to find the hole. I found the leak at the valve stem. The nut had come loose. I tightened the nut and re-inflated the tire and it was fine. 2019 Grand Design 351M, Westlake ST 235/80R16 G rated tires (which have performed flawlessly over the thousands of miles I've put on them). TST 507 TPMS with flow through sensors designed for metal valve stems (which I hadn't turned on because I was moving such a short distance IDIOT!). Argggh. Those shortcuts will cost you! Anyway, thanks if you've read this far and please check those valve stems. I suppose the sensors could have contributed to the issue. 3 out of the 4 tires had loose valve stem nuts. I place the blame solely on myself. I never thought to check them. I always check lug torque, tire pressure and tire condition before each trip and during travel. Just never thought about the valve stems.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6136.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	36608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46599DA6-19CB-4EFD-99A5-1F3F8B16FFC9.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	36603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F816EC5-6953-4564-A0C6-809BBE11A6C3.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	36606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C1057A9-7989-4212-95A3-E556609DCA83.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	36605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6159.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	36607

  2. #2
    Seasoned Camper DECelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bethany Beach, DE
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Check your valve stems! Let me explain. I had pulled out of a campsite and moved my GD 351M to another site about a mile away. Got out of the truck and heard air escaping from a tire on the trailer. I thought I had a puncture and watched as the tire quickly deflated. I removed the tire and inspected it and could find no puncture. I began re-inflating it and pouring water over it to find the hole. I found the leak at the valve stem. The nut had come loose. I tightened the nut and re-inflated the tire and it was fine. 2019 Grand Design 351M, Westlake ST 235/80R16 G rated tires (which have performed flawlessly over the thousands of miles I've put on them). TST 507 TPMS with flow through sensors designed for metal valve stems (which I hadn't turned on because I was moving such a short distance IDIOT!). Argggh. Those shortcuts will cost you! Anyway, thanks if you've read this far and please check those valve stems. I suppose the sensors could have contributed to the issue. 3 out of the 4 tires had loose valve stem nuts. I place the blame solely on myself. I never thought to check them. I always check lug torque, tire pressure and tire condition before each trip and during travel. Just never thought about the valve stems.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6136.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	36608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46599DA6-19CB-4EFD-99A5-1F3F8B16FFC9.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	36603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F816EC5-6953-4564-A0C6-809BBE11A6C3.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	36606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C1057A9-7989-4212-95A3-E556609DCA83.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	36605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6159.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	36607
    Somewhere a long time ago I actually saw a torque spec for these...but you are right, they loosen and leak. A good solution is to add a second nut as a lock nut. I've always suspected this as a cause for many tire failures.


    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

  3. #3
    Big Traveler Calbar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2018
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,477
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Check your valve stems! Let me explain. I had pulled out of a campsite and moved my GD 351M to another site about a mile away. Got out of the truck and heard air escaping from a tire on the trailer. I thought I had a puncture and watched as the tire quickly deflated. I removed the tire and inspected it and could find no puncture. I began re-inflating it and pouring water over it to find the hole. I found the leak at the valve stem. The nut had come loose. I tightened the nut and re-inflated the tire and it was fine. 2019 Grand Design 351M, Westlake ST 235/80R16 G rated tires (which have performed flawlessly over the thousands of miles I've put on them). TST 507 TPMS with flow through sensors designed for metal valve stems (which I hadn't turned on because I was moving such a short distance IDIOT!). Argggh. Those shortcuts will cost you! Anyway, thanks if you've read this far and please check those valve stems. I suppose the sensors could have contributed to the issue. 3 out of the 4 tires had loose valve stem nuts. I place the blame solely on myself. I never thought to check them. I always check lug torque, tire pressure and tire condition before each trip and during travel. Just never thought about the valve stems.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6136.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	36608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46599DA6-19CB-4EFD-99A5-1F3F8B16FFC9.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	36603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F816EC5-6953-4564-A0C6-809BBE11A6C3.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	36606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C1057A9-7989-4212-95A3-E556609DCA83.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	36605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6159.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	36607
    Thanks for the heads up. I just had metal stems put on when I bought new tires. One more thing to add to the list of things to check each trip or several times during the trip.

    Anyone know what the torque spec is or the thread size so I can get 4 nuts and lock them?

    Rob
    Rob & Barb
    2022 Solitude 378MBS
    2022 RAM 3500 SRW HO Aisin 4x4
    Waterloo, Ontario, Canada

  4. #4
    Setting Up Camp
    Join Date
    Jun 2020
    Location
    Versailles, KY
    Posts
    33
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    Check your valve stems! Let me explain. I had pulled out of a campsite and moved my GD 351M to another site about a mile away. Got out of the truck and heard air escaping from a tire on the trailer. I thought I had a puncture and watched as the tire quickly deflated. I removed the tire and inspected it and could find no puncture. I began re-inflating it and pouring water over it to find the hole. I found the leak at the valve stem. The nut had come loose. I tightened the nut and re-inflated the tire and it was fine. 2019 Grand Design 351M, Westlake ST 235/80R16 G rated tires (which have performed flawlessly over the thousands of miles I've put on them). TST 507 TPMS with flow through sensors designed for metal valve stems (which I hadn't turned on because I was moving such a short distance IDIOT!). Argggh. Those shortcuts will cost you! Anyway, thanks if you've read this far and please check those valve stems. I suppose the sensors could have contributed to the issue. 3 out of the 4 tires had loose valve stem nuts. I place the blame solely on myself. I never thought to check them. I always check lug torque, tire pressure and tire condition before each trip and during travel. Just never thought about the valve stems.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6136.jpg 
Views:	67 
Size:	1.88 MB 
ID:	36608Click image for larger version. 

Name:	46599DA6-19CB-4EFD-99A5-1F3F8B16FFC9.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	104.1 KB 
ID:	36603Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5F816EC5-6953-4564-A0C6-809BBE11A6C3.jpeg 
Views:	61 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	36606Click image for larger version. 

Name:	0C1057A9-7989-4212-95A3-E556609DCA83.jpeg 
Views:	58 
Size:	1.74 MB 
ID:	36605Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6159.jpeg 
Views:	82 
Size:	1.87 MB 
ID:	36607
    Good info NoGrey; thanks for the heads up. Had an issue myself with loose lug nuts recently and getting pretty anal about tires and wheels!
    Dave Gaines
    Kentucky Gentleman Farmer
    1997 F-350 Quad Cab
    2020 Grand Design 315RLTS

  5. #5
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    3rd planet from the sun
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am as well. Lug nuts, tire pressure, tpms alarms, now valve stems, along with a myriad of other things an old fart like me needs to remember!

  6. #6
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    3rd planet from the sun
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by KY Gentleman Farmer View Post
    Good info NoGrey; thanks for the heads up. Had an issue myself with loose lug nuts recently and getting pretty anal about tires and wheels!
    As am I! Just hoping to help.

  7. #7
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    3rd planet from the sun
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	241000415_10224826261419431_8696930989485864847_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	36629Click image for larger version. 

Name:	241000415_10224826261419431_8696930989485864847_n.jpg 
Views:	150 
Size:	104.8 KB 
ID:	36629 So, it turns out that I have the wrong size (from the manufacturer). I'm going to change them out asap.

  8. #8
    King Pin
    Join Date
    Jul 2021
    Location
    Platte City, MO
    Posts
    5,217
    Mentioned
    63 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How did you determine they were the wrong size?
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

  9. #9
    Seasoned Camper
    Join Date
    Sep 2020
    Location
    3rd planet from the sun
    Posts
    101
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    How did you determine they were the wrong size?
    I have posted this on many different forums as I don't want my fellow RV'ers to have a bad experience. One of the folks I talked to had experienced this exact same issue right after delivery of their unit and called for warranty work. A tech came out and checked things out and discovered, as well as disclosed, that the original wheel manufacturer had installed the incorrect size valve stems. They will work, but not nearly as well as the ones the wheels were designed for (as shown in the photo). That's how I found out.

  10. #10
    Seasoned Camper DECelt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2021
    Location
    Bethany Beach, DE
    Posts
    474
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nogrey View Post
    I have posted this on many different forums as I don't want my fellow RV'ers to have a bad experience. One of the folks I talked to had experienced this exact same issue right after delivery of their unit and called for warranty work. A tech came out and checked things out and discovered, as well as disclosed, that the original wheel manufacturer had installed the incorrect size valve stems. They will work, but not nearly as well as the ones the wheels were designed for (as shown in the photo). That's how I found out.
    I have had a couple of good experiences with Lions head tire and wheel, and I have had about zero good experiences with RV techs. Just saying.

    Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

DISCLAIMER:This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by Grand Design RV, LLC or any of its affiliates. This is an independent site.