Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I was having a water heater issue

We just purchased a very slightly used 2021 Reflection 315RLTS. We took it out for the first time to a full hook-up campground for our first seven day shake down. Everything was going super smooth until we went to shower the next morning and realized we had no hot water. After checking the Hot Water Heater and realizing the unit was hot to the touch I checked to make sure the outside shower valves were closed. I went back inside again to check for hot water and still nothing, full pressure as before but no discernible difference in temperature between the hot or cold valves. After going back outside to double check the valve positions on the Nautilus for the second or third time I decided to check for hot water from the outside shower itself and to my surprise I had no hot or cold water at all, nothing.
    I finally pulled off the access panel off to look behind the Nautilus System and found the shower water lines had been disconnected completely and they had run a section of tubing between the hot and cold lines as pictured. I cut the line in half and plugged them temporarily with hose clamps until I can get back home to my PEX Tool and fittings to hook the outside shower back up. Immediately we had hot water flowing inside. Has anyone seen this before or would know why the previous owners would have had this done? Could this be some type of winterizing technique?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00EC7899-61DD-46F4-A5C7-9B0989BB104A.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	927.1 KB 
ID:	36613
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails F06A3E3C-DE37-4D41-B02C-FA09DD03FF9E.jpg  
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 Ram Cummins Mega Cab 4X4

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I thought I was having a water heater issue

They effectively created a permanent heater bypass. Who knows why they would do that when you can bypass using the Nautilus. Good you found it and are able to put it back.

Good Job.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CanAm65 View Post
    We just purchased a very slightly used 2021 Reflection 315RLTS. We took it out for the first time to a full hook-up campground for our first seven day shake down. Everything was going super smooth until we went to shower the next morning and realized we had no hot water. After checking the Hot Water Heater and realizing the unit was hot to the touch I checked to make sure the outside shower valves were closed. I went back inside again to check for hot water and still nothing, full pressure as before but no discernible difference in temperature between the hot or cold valves. After going back outside to double check the valve positions on the Nautilus for the second or third time I decided to check for hot water from the outside shower itself and to my surprise I had no hot or cold water at all, nothing.
    I finally pulled off the access panel off to look behind the Nautilus System and found the shower water lines had been disconnected completely and they had run a section of tubing between the hot and cold lines as pictured. I cut the line in half and plugged them temporarily with hose clamps until I can get back home to my PEX Tool and fittings to hook the outside shower back up. Immediately we had hot water flowing inside. Has anyone seen this before or would know why the previous owners would have had this done? Could this be some type of winterizing technique?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	00EC7899-61DD-46F4-A5C7-9B0989BB104A.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	927.1 KB 
ID:	36613
    I would keep a close eye on the hot water heater itself... it's possible that they had a leaking water heater and just bypassed it so that they could still use the water in the RV.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you and I will definitely keep an eye out for leaks because now I am very suspicious of the plumbing in general now. Question though, by removing the hot and cold lines and joining the lines together like they did, isn’t that just forcing the hot and cold water to mix together? In other words, it’s like fully opening both H & C valves together which would explain the equal pressure and temperature inside of feeling the same at the tap. With the Nautilus in “City Water” or “Dry Camping” positions the hot water wouldn’t actually be bypassed but being forced to mix with the cold or? Like you say, hard to believe someone would go to the trouble to do this unless there was a leak but 5 days later no visible leaks. Where would you typically see water if the HWH was leaking? Maybe I just didn’t notice. I’m still under warranty so that’s the good news I guess.
    2021 Reflection 315RLTS
    2020 Ram Cummins Mega Cab 4X4