Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Portable AC

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable AC

Has anyone tried a portable AC unit drawing less power, instead of getting a 3500 watt generator….and carrying that additional weight.

I’d consider getting a smaller generator (both watts and weight) to power my rig and have a portable ac unit that would plug into a standard outlet when not connected to shore power.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Portable AC

Hi Silas,

I see you are a relatively new member, welcome to the forum!

To answer your question, your should be able to run at least 1 15k ac on say a light weight 2k or 2.2k generator. If you modify with say a soft start kit you can easily run one that way. If you have a larger rig with 2 ac units, I hear with the soft start applied to both, you can run both on 30 amps.

The soft start replaces the start and run capacitor of each ac to do 2 things, reduce the very large start up amperage and reduce the overall running amperage. I have heard good things.

I would look into those solutions rather than trying to drag a portable ac with you.

I am sure people with more experience in this will chime in.

Good Luck,
    Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bill
    We have a 21bhe. Did the Maine to California and back run in July. Two stops didn’t have shore power….so no AC. Considered buying a generator in LA area but didn’t want to truck the additional 100+ lbs and spare fuel. Next thought was small/simple portable AC unit with minimal power needs. Those propane Honda units might be a balance between weight, power needs and ease of fuel handling.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Silas Jr View Post
    Thanks Bill
    We have a 21bhe. Did the Maine to California and back run in July. Two stops didn’t have shore power….so no AC. Considered buying a generator in LA area but didn’t want to truck the additional 100+ lbs and spare fuel. Next thought was small/simple portable AC unit with minimal power needs. Those propane Honda units might be a balance between weight, power needs and ease of fuel handling.
    Honda EU2200i is like 48 pounds and would easily run one ac. You could even get one used for say 600 bucks.

No actually in hot weather sucks!
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS