User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NWbulldog“but thinking long term here, the people that throw on "super singles" instead of dually's... is it just about finding a better tire or is the axle in dually's really that much different?”

Interesting concept of replacing a dual wheel with a wide based single in the class 4,5,6 truck market. One in which I’ve been wondering how long it would take to have impact on the casual driver.
    The wide based single conversion in the class 7 & 8 market was for weight savings of around 700+ lbs. per axel. The construction of the tire that was developed to fit this concept is a long way from the early eighties super single. The only real reason to convert to a wide base single would be for weight savings. Or, maybe it looks cool.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    . A SRW truck with a 7000 lb axle weight rating should have tires that are rated OVER the GAWR of the respective axle..
    FWIW. The 7050lbs axle rating on my 2017 GMC was exactly the same as the total of the two stock tires. 3525 each.
    2021 Solitude 375 RES-R
    2024 GMC Denali ultimate DRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Axle ratings have nothing to do with axles. Every AWR on every pickup truck is less than the actual axle is capable of supporting. For example, the RAWR is actually limited by the "weakest" component in the rear suspension. That could be the springs, wheels, or tires. With that said, axle ratings are often manipulated...two trucks could have the same tires but one has them inflated to 80 psi from the factory while the other has them inflated to only 65 psi. It is even possible to have two trucks with identical axles/springs/wheels/tires yet completely different RAWR based on their GVWR.

GVWR is assigned to a truck for a host of reasons, often having nothing to do with how that truck is equipped. That's why you can arbitrarily elect to order a truck that is de-rated on paper to skirt registration, licensing, or DOT requirements. Many are devoted to their payload sticker, and that is a foolproof way to guarantee that you are within all limits. Others, like myself, look at individual components to determine the capability of their truck. That requires some thought and research and is not foolproof. Fortunately, most of us aren't fools.

My truck has a RAWR of 6340. My 295/65R20 Ridge Grapplers are rated at 4080 each! They are definitely not my weakest link! As stated by xrated previously, tires should never be the weak point in your setup.
    2019 F250 Platinum, 6.7, LB, FX4, High Capacity Tow Package
    B & W Companion
    2019 303RLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffD68 View Post
    Axle ratings have nothing to do with axles. Every AWR on every pickup truck is less than the actual axle is capable of supporting. For example, the RAWR is actually limited by the "weakest" component in the rear suspension. That could be the springs, wheels, or tires. With that said, axle ratings are often manipulated...two trucks could have the same tires but one has them inflated to 80 psi from the factory while the other has them inflated to only 65 psi. It is even possible to have two trucks with identical axles/springs/wheels/tires yet completely different RAWR based on their GVWR.

GVWR is assigned to a truck for a host of reasons, often having nothing to do with how that truck is equipped. That's why you can arbitrarily elect to order a truck that is de-rated on paper to skirt registration, licensing, or DOT requirements. Many are devoted to their payload sticker, and that is a foolproof way to guarantee that you are within all limits. Others, like myself, look at individual components to determine the capability of their truck. That requires some thought and research and is not foolproof. Fortunately, most of us aren't fools.

My truck has a RAWR of 6340. My 295/65R20 Ridge Grapplers are rated at 4080 each! They are definitely not my weakest link! As stated by xrated previously, tires should never be the weak point in your setup.
    The info so far has been incredibly helpful... thank you all! Definitely time to get new tires when we pull the trigger on whatever GD we go with. That is... unless the scales determine my fate of getting a new truck.
    ---~-~-~-~-~-~---
    351M & 2018 Ram 3500 SRW

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by NWbulldog View Post
    Wow... first of all these forums have been incredibly helpful, so thank you to all those that post. One of the most informative places I have found while researching, and is making our search for a 5th wheel so much more comprehensive.

So the question... have read so many of the SRW vs DRW "debates" in just about every thread in here. One thing I didn't see a lot of information on was related to tire and axle ratings. My Ram 3500 has a GAWR in the rear of 7000lbs. However, my tires are at 3195 each. Am I interpreting this correctly... that my tires are the "weak point" if I had 6500 back there? (Seeing that my current tires would only be rated to 6190.) I don't plan on throwing that kind of weight back there, but for learning sake... I am trying to see if I need to get better tires to more closely match my axle rating.

Now... next level of this question... if a rear axle on a 3500 DRW has a rating of 9750, what accounts for that big of a difference from the SRW? I only saw one post (but could have missed others) that talked about a slight difference between the two axles. If I remember correctly, it is slightly longer and the end of it was a little wider? Anyway...I might take this Q to the Ram forums (say a prayer for me)... but thinking long term here, the people that throw on "super singles" instead of dually's... is it just about finding a better tire or is the axle in dually's really that much different?

A lot to unpack there... sorry for the length of the post.

I assume you have changed the rear tires from the factory originals? I see the "35's" in your signature. The reason I say that, as others have alluded to, is the sum of the rear tire capactity (2 or 4 tires) MUST be equal to or greater than the rear axel weight rating. In your case it is 2x3195=6390# for the tires vs. a sticker (RAWR) of 7,000#. So you have put "lower capacity" tires on your truck. That is the reason for the difference.

As to our second question "if a rear axle on a 3500 DRW has a rating of 9750, what accounts for that big of a difference from the SRW?", I do not know the RAM axels but in the Ford Super Duties the SRW axel (either a Sterling or a Dana M275) is very different (and lighter "duty") then the Dana M300 used in the DRW trucks. The tube diameter, bearings, axel, ring & pinion, brakes, etc are significantly heavier duty in the DRW axel. This is what accounts for the big difference in weight ratings. Note: this is NOT saying the SRW axels are not good, just a difference in the weight capacity.

Chris
    Chris & Karen
    Fort Collins, CO
    2017 F-350 SRW 6.7 Lariat Value CC LB 4x4
    2018 Solitude 310GK - Sold 7/2023

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CoChris View Post
    I assume you have changed the rear tires from the factory originals? I see the "35's" in your signature. The reason I say that, as others have alluded to, is the sum of the rear tire capactity (2 or 4 tires) MUST be equal to or greater than the rear axel weight rating. In your case it is 2x3195=6390# for the tires vs. a sticker (RAWR) of 7,000#. So you have put "lower capacity" tires on your truck. That is the reason for the difference.

As to our second question "if a rear axle on a 3500 DRW has a rating of 9750, what accounts for that big of a difference from the SRW?", I do not know the RAM axels but in the Ford Super Duties the SRW axel (either a Sterling or a Dana M275) is very different (and lighter "duty") then the Dana M300 used in the DRW trucks. The tube diameter, bearings, axel, ring & pinion, brakes, etc are significantly heavier duty in the DRW axel. This is what accounts for the big difference in weight ratings. Note: this is NOT saying the SRW axels are not good, just a difference in the weight capacity.

Chris
    Yes, spot on... and an unfortunate change in this case. Thankfully I got a good deal on them and the trailer we have is not nearly the weight of the GDs we are looking at. None the less... a lesson learned. Would have been nice to have the good ol LS boys to let me know that...

Understood. I didn't go to far down that road, so I would think it is probably a similar story to the Ford's. I only found one forum talking about it over roughly 30-min search, and there wasn't a ton of info... just while on the topic it got me thinking. More curiosity than anything. The tire issue was the main point of concern. Definitely time to swap them out. Thanks!
    ---~-~-~-~-~-~---
    351M & 2018 Ram 3500 SRW

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12