User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Quality Control

Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    I don't think there is a trailer out there being built that doesn't have problems with it, even the high end trailers. Some are put together better than others. The big difference is how the customer is taken care of after the sale. Not by the dealer but by the manufacturer. That is where GD ranks better than most. To judge for yourself go to some forums from other manufacturer's and see what is being said about them. That could give you an idea of what trailer would be right for you.
    Which is exactly why we ordered our GD. Side note, while we were in a 310GK-R that had not been prepped and a 346FLS-R that had just been delivered (literally) after a 1500 plus mile trip from the factory, I would have expected some trim to be hanging loose at the very least. We were the first in with our sales guy (34 years at that dealer) and he hooked a battery up and opened up all the slides. Nothing out of the ordinary. No, we did not do a PDI and didn't know what rats nests might have been in the underbelly or behind the walls. Nothing falling off.

On the 2022 310GK-R which had been built months before, I did notice that neither bathroom or bedroom closet door would stay closed due to mis-aligned latches. That may not bother me at home where 30 years of house settling has done the same, but was there something more insidious or was this just a construction mistake. What bothered me most was the wood cabinet housing the fireplace and TV. You could not put a straight edge on it without about 3/4" gap in the middle - it raised (including the piece attached to the TV) a good 3/4" at the kitchen counter side. The wood top to the TV was curved (actually the whole counter top) and I'm trying to figure out how that might have occurred or been built. In retrospect, I'm sorry we didn't raise the TV.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptTPT View Post
    It seems there must be a thousand trailer manufacturer’s out there. I am choosing GD because after doing a ton of research I have come to the conclusion they are constructed to a much high quality and standard than the vast majority. The real question I am asking then is has that quality and standard held during the pandemic when the demand has been high and most other manufacturers have simply thrown them together to quickly meet the demand? Maybe this is an impossible question to answer. I don’t know, but just looking for opinions from new unit owners. Pretty hard to get any reasonable answers from dealers.

I dont agree GD produces a superior product, they are on par with most the rest and full of the same Furion appliances, fittings fixtures etc.
    Where GD stands out is Customer service. They have been very good to us with the few problems we have had.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptTPT View Post
    New to the forum. In the market for a GD XLS 17MKE. Article in news a few days ago reported that RV dealers just mailed a group letter from across the country to all RV manufacturers complaining about the horribly poor workmanship and quality in the current production new RV’s. No manufacturer’s we’re singled out. What can you all tell me about quality in the GD 21’s and 22’s? Issues of concern? Thanks for your input. Tom
    With raw material shortages, the higher than normal volume pressuring plant capacities, skilled labor shortages, and massive IC shortges, chip shortages, commodity shortages, and double-digit commodity inflation, we have what can only be termed a perfect storm that will only result in quality issues. With a desire to make money, do more with less, and reduce their labor per unit, where do you think everyone is finding areas to reduce the cycle time? Yes, inspection and quality control. Combine the reduced QC, less experienced labor assembling the units and making parts, with the same challenges facing the sub assembly supply chain and it combines for an exponential increase in problems.

Nearly every RV manufacturer has a higher than normal backlog, less labor, and got way behind during Covid. They are all ramping up cycle times as much as possible, rushing, and cutting corners which always happens during these times. Haste makes waste.

It is this precise confluence of circumstances that I for one am not buying anything new until at least 2023. Even in our company, a Fortune 50, we have seen a massive increase in pre-process inspection failures for integrated circuits, and sub-assemblies from all over the world. It can't be avoided.

Those commenting on how all RVs have issues are correct, but that's in normal times. This is not a normal time.
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2021 Momentum, 5 trips, 30 days, 9000 miles, 0 issues! Could not be happier! This is our 5th RV so I know all about issues, just haven't had any in ours yet. I've had a million questions and GD has been great about getting me answers quickly. My last RV was a Heartland Torque and after the fights I had with their customer service I swore I'd never buy from them again, went with GD based on research and talking to people about what happens when you do have an issue and need them to step up. As others have said it's always a crapshoot with how units are built but they will stand behind it. FWIW mine was ordered November '20 and built March/April '21
    2021 Momentum 349M
    Full Body Paint, 8K Axles, 20k Reese Goosebox
    2019 Chevrolet Silverado High Country 3500 SRW
    Mountain Bikes and Dirt Jumpers

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've had our 2021 GD 303RLS for over a year and put 1000's of miles on it with no major issues. We're on a 3 month trip right now and everything is holding up very well. So far on this trip we're experienced high temps of 114 degrees near Bakersfield Ca and morning temps in Yellowstone were 19 degrees yesterday. This particular trailer is rock solid and I have no complaints.
    Ron & Cylinda Mathews
    On The Road
    2021 Reflections 303RLS
    2014 Ford F250 Super Duty

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dpisano View Post
    With raw material shortages, the higher than normal volume pressuring plant capacities, skilled labor shortages, and massive IC shortges, chip shortages, commodity shortages, and double-digit commodity inflation, we have what can only be termed a perfect storm that will only result in quality issues. With a desire to make money, do more with less, and reduce their labor per unit, where do you think everyone is finding areas to reduce the cycle time? Yes, inspection and quality control. Combine the reduced QC, less experienced labor assembling the units and making parts, with the same challenges facing the sub assembly supply chain and it combines for an exponential increase in problems.

Nearly every RV manufacturer has a higher than normal backlog, less labor, and got way behind during Covid. They are all ramping up cycle times as much as possible, rushing, and cutting corners which always happens during these times. Haste makes waste.

It is this precise confluence of circumstances that I for one am not buying anything new until at least 2023. Even in our company, a Fortune 50, we have seen a massive increase in pre-process inspection failures for integrated circuits, and sub-assemblies from all over the world. It can't be avoided.

Those commenting on how all RVs have issues are correct, but that's in normal times. This is not a normal time.
    I don't think you will see improvement by 2023. If anything the supply chain problems will be much worse and higher costs.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have put about 2000 miles on our 2022 Imagine 3100RL. Honestly, the only problems have been the Dometic refrigerator handle (flimsy construction) and the Furrion air conditioners ( really dumb engineering with temp sensor in the intake air plenum instead of in the thermostat- read about it in the forum for AC). Construction wise the unit is perfect.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quality Control

We have put over 12000 miles on our 2021 320 MKS with only small issues. Those we had were addressed easily by the GD techs at the National Rally last month. Grand Design is head and shoulders above others with regard to customer service. When you consider the earthquake that follows us down the road, it is really amazing how few problems really emerge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Kevin & Deb. 2021 Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 Diesel SRW Platinum
    Kevin and Deb. 50ST8R
    2021 Grand Design Reflection 320 MKS
    2018 Ford F-350 SRW 4x4 Diesel Platinum Edition

[/SIGPIC]

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    I don't think you will see improvement by 2023. If anything the supply chain problems will be much worse and higher costs.
    Just wait. Maybe we can make a "friendly" wager :-) and watch it play out.

#1 : There will be a mssive secondary market glut when people figure out they are not campers, and the we get further from pandemic. About 50 people in our company already started a message board and are selling nearly brand new, unused RVs. This will accelerate when more people figure out its hard work and they get back to Pre-pandemic activities. This large secondary market will depress demand for new RVs. How much, don't know, but it will have an impact.

#2 . Most economists predicting commodity cost decline, a steep decline, when the inflation and stimulus bubble blows. When economy goes by end of 2022 or early 2023, it will be bad. More RVs hitting the secondary market when can't make payments. While I don't expect prices to decline much, even if commodities crash as expected, the massive secondary market and higher profit margins by supplier will cause them to heavily discount in the face of reduced "NEW" demand in combination with highe profit margins.

All that said, the RV market is severely inflated. I could be wrong, but massive secondary market glut will be time to buy. if i am wrong, nothing lost. if correct, will get a cost-effective transaction compared to today.

Will be interesting to watch next 24-48 months.

Anecodatal evidence; one of my colleagues listed his new GMC 1-Ton and 5 wheel (brand new) in the cafeteria. I asked why he is selling. "Now, that restrictions are easing, we don't use it, too much of a "******-ache" to set-up and camp". 5th person I heard that from this month while walking through the halls :-)
    Last edited by traveldawg; 09-19-2021 at 05:05 PM. Reason: italic was edited by moderator to keep the discussion on track with politics, health issues, and such. this is about quality
    David Pisano
    2018 Imagine 2950RL

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can do most repairs yourself as long as it’s under warranty if parts needed GD will get them to you
    18 Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 18 Momentum 349M. 2011 H-D Road Glide. 2006 H-D Deluxe. 2014 Arctic Cat 1000X4 HO

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast