User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to replace solar panels attached with Z Clips?

I am going to be adding two 200 watt solar panels. I will be using Z clips attached with nuts and bolts to the panel, then screwed down to the roof. Because you attach the panel to the horizontal part of the Z clip with a nut and bolt going up, how can you remove/replace the panel? Do you have to remove all the Z clips from the roof so you can access the nuts and bolts attaching the panel to the Z clip?
    Since that seems like a pain, are there any Z clips out there where you use the nut and bolt through the vertical side of the clip and the panel that would allow you to detach the panel from the Z clips so you could remove the panel but leave the Z clips screwed to the roof?
    I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of mounting C channel or Unistrut because the size of the panels and the layout of the roof would make this close to unworkable. Using tilting mounts is out because I don't want to be getting on and off the roof all the time.
    More likely, am I just overthinking this?
    Last edited by alias100; 09-13-2021 at 08:35 PM.
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2021 Ram 2500 Hemi, Crew Cab Short Bed
    2-206 AH SOK Batteries, Victron MultiPlus 3000VA Inverter, 800 watts solar

Mentioned
    103 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alias100 View Post
    I am going to be adding two 200 watt solar panels. I will be using Z clips attached with nuts and bolts to the panel, then screwed down to the roof. Because you attach the panel to the horizontal part of the Z clip with a nut and bolt going up, how can you remove/replace the panel? Do you have to remove all the Z clips from the roof so you can access the nuts and bolts attaching the panel to the Z clip?
    Since that seems like a pain, are there any Z clips out there where you use the nut and bolt through the vertical side of the clip and the panel that would allow you to detach the panel from the Z clips so you could remove the panel but leave the Z clips screwed to the roof?
    I don't want to go to the trouble and expense of mounting C channel or Unistrut because the size of the panels and the layout of the roof would make this close to unworkable. Using tilting mounts is out because I don't want to be getting on and off the roof all the time.
    More likely, am I just overthinking this?
    The first question you should ask is: "Why in the world would I ever need to remove these Solar panels?"

If you can't think of a good answer, then you are over thinking it.
    David and Peggy
    2019 Ford F350 Lariat, 6.7L Diesel, Dually, Long Bed
    Running with 20k Reese Goosebox (Love It) and Ford Factory "Puck" system.
    Stopping with 8,000 lb Disc Brakes and Titan Hydraulic over Electric Brakes system.
    Powering all this fun with 1200 Watts of Solar, two Tesla, Model S, battery modules, 24 volt Victron Inverter.
    2018 Solitude 310 GK