User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect the straps because I used to work in a shipping warehouse and the sound, and loudness of the "pop" of this one-time (so far) event closely resembled the sound of a metal strap snapping while tightening it to secure it to a pallet. I'm really hoping the strap is not the issue and I'm starting to doubt my suspicions based on the feedback I'm getting on this thread. Thanks for the feedback on how to drop / reinstall the coroplast. Don't think I will attempt it by myself, but good to know should it become a necessity in the future.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    On the "has it ever" question, I will say, "Yes," but not since the 2016 - 2017 time frame as far as I can recall. There were several incidents of tanks falling out, but GD changed how they were mounting things and I'm not aware of any incidents since then. Sadly, the folks who bought our 2016 Reflection 337 had it happen to them with the black tank about 9 months after they bought the rig. The black tank fell out, pushed down the Coroplast, and was dragging on the ground on the curb side. They were on the road when this happened and, again, it was a 2016 model (summer 2015 build)

There are some not-too-expensive fiberoptic scopes you can get... probably not much more than the cost of a mobile tech visit. You could insert in various places to inspect without dropping the underbelly altogether. Just a thought.

Rob
    I like this borescope suggestion. Will look into it. Thanks!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ll tell you about my experience. I have a Reflection 303RLS. The first time out the black waste tank fell out. GD took care of it .but it was a bit of a mess to clean up.
    Problem was that there never was straps to hold the tanks up. A repair shop from Phoenix was contacted to do the repairs.
    It’s been fine since. The structural area that the tanks sit on is only an inch wide on either side of the tank. The tanks are very flexible so they will slip right through and drop down and take the bottom cover with it.
    I hope you had straps installed.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    The noise was loud enough that I ran outside thinking someone threw an object at our rig.

DOUG
    We have two different noises that sound like someone threw something at the trailer. The one in the bedroom is a pop or thud and the one in the living room is much louder. The noises don’t happen real often but every few weeks we hear one or the other. When I first heard them I went out to see if someone had thrown something at the trailer. After a couple of times I stopped going out to see since I found nothing. I think it is just expansion or contraction of the trailer parts. In our previous trailer we heard a thump and went out to see and there was a dead Robin next to the trailer. We have had birds run into the trailer multiple times over the years. The Robin was the only one that died from the impact.
    2020 Reflection 337RLS
    2020 F350 Dually

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    94 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncorked View Post
    We also have a very loud and frequent popping sound coming from the off door side. Turns out it's the "J" near the wheel wells causing the noise. It occurs as this area heats up and expands.
    This gets my vote.... expansion in the sun from lower metal skirting.

We HAVE had kids throw rocks at our rig. It makes quite a noice. It scared me and when I went outside to see what happened I saw a dad scoulding his son - I just returned inside as I couldn’t see any damage.
    Larry KE4DMG
    2022 F-350 KRU SRW LB - Airlift 5000+, ForScan, 37 RDS Aux Tank,
    2019 310GK-R - Sailuns; MorRyde IS; Disc Brakes; 20K Reese Goosebox
    Search kalakamods for my mods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    I apologize upfront if I'm doing this wrong. Please be gentle and educate me as this is my first post on this site.

Earlier today we heard an extremally loud snapping sound that it really scared us. I suspect a strap (possibly one that holds one of the tanks in place) broke. My question is, what is the best way to inspect the straps? Is this something best left to an expert (ie: mobile tech) to do?

Thank you for your time and consideration. Aloha!
    I also heard a sound like that from our camper one day. After I searched all over I finally found the culprit. Look under the slide out below the recliners. There is a spring attached to the frame that pulls the wiring back as the slide retracts. My spring had broken. I used a large flat washer and the same screw to reattach the spring.
    Gordon and Renee
    Grafton, Ohio
    (Previous)2019 Reflection 303 RLS (05-2018)
    2020 Solitude 310 GK (09-2020)
    2019 GMC Denali HD 3500 4X4 SRW 6.6 Duramax (Sold)
    2021 GMC Denali HD 3500 4X4 SRW 6.6 Duramax on order

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncorked View Post
    We also have a very loud and frequent popping sound coming from the off door side. Turns out it's the "J" near the wheel wells causing the noise. It occurs as this area heats up and expands.
    Thank you for your feedback. I am not familiar with the term "J", but I've looked all over the wheelwell's and did not notice anything outside of ordinary.
    DOUG & DIANE
    2020 Solitude 310GK - First (and current) RV
    2019 Chevy 3500 DRW Duramax / B&W Companion
    Retired & Living The Dream - One State At A Time

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon P View Post
    I also heard a sound like that from our camper one day. After I searched all over I finally found the culprit. Look under the slide out below the recliners. There is a spring attached to the frame that pulls the wiring back as the slide retracts. My spring had broken. I used a large flat washer and the same screw to reattach the spring.
    I located the "spring" you are referring to (on both living room slides) and they are intact. I was really hoping this was it as I can see how this would replicate the sound I heard, but mine are both securely attached. Thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
    DOUG & DIANE

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aloha Everyone,

Thank you to all who shared your thoughts. As of this writing we have not definitively identified the source of the noise we heard (that one and only time so far). I have confirmed with Grand Design that the freshwater tanks are in fact heled in place by three straps around the tank and crossmembers. I have located a borescope that we will purchase to further the inspection process but we are not in a position to received Amazon orders for another month. Until then, unless any new suggestions come in, we are hanging our hat on "joint expansion" caused by a change in temperature or that one of the three straps have separated as the most likely cause. We begin a 30 day Fantasy RV Caravan "Fall Leaves" tour today, so prayerfully we can get through the next 30 days without and major surprises.

Thank you again to all who assisted us in this troubleshooting. You are all awesome and your help is truly appreciated.

Be Safe!
    DOUG & DIANE

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are having drain issues with our 2017 230rl 5th wheel. Unfortunately it's the black water tank. I haven't looked into it yet but the tank never goes to empty after dumping.
    I had the valves open one time at home and was raising the front end up Water started draing out onto the lawn. By the smell it was black water.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast