User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Possible Waste / Fresh Water Tank Strap Malfunction

I apologize upfront if I'm doing this wrong. Please be gentle and educate me as this is my first post on this site.

Earlier today we heard an extremally loud snapping sound that it really scared us. I suspect a strap (possibly one that holds one of the tanks in place) broke. My question is, what is the best way to inspect the straps? Is this something best left to an expert (ie: mobile tech) to do?

Thank you for your time and consideration. Aloha!

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome and greetings! First thing we need is year, line (e.g., Solitude, Imagine) and model number of your coach. Next, what was the state of the camper - e.g., set up completely for days, just arrived, and what were occupants doing at the time.

Very recent real life new camper experience - thought the slide room was failing after coincidence beinf that as soon as the husband sat at the dining table a loud snap was heard. After panicking and asking every neighbor for help, including me, I asked them if they were sure it just wasn't an acorn dropping on their skylight because it was happening all day with the wind. Sure enough, they heard the snap twice again and it was from falling acorns!
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for your response, We have a 2020 Solitude 310GK (sorry I thought that info was viewable in my profile ... not sure how to add it to the signature block like your is).

We were in day 5 of a 7 day stay near Bar Harbor. We are not parked under any tree and it was a clear sunny day with minimal wind. DW was doing laundry at the time, but I don't recall if the rig was vibrating due to washer being in the spin cycle. The noise was loud enough that I ran outside thinking someone threw an object at our rig.

Again, thank you for your response. I will be more detailed if needed in the future. Be safe and have a great day.

DOUG

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    ... (sorry I thought that info was viewable in my profile ... not sure how to add it to the signature block like your is).
    Folks have to actually go to your profile to see the info there - it's not visible in each post. You can create a signature with that information by going to:

Forum Actions (on menu bar) -> Edit Profile -> Edit Signature (under My Settings on the left)

Now... the hydraulic leveling systems on the Solitudes and Momentums are notorious for loud popping noises. It's called "stiction" and often happens when temperatures are changing - like in the evening. Search this forum or Google for "Lippert anti-stiction fluid" and you'll come up with a white paper and/or posts about it. The remedy is to remove ATF from the hydraulic reservoir and add CAT anti-stiction fluid. There are two fork oils approved for this, as well, but they don't work as well as the CAT fluid.

Rob
    Last edited by Second Chance; 09-14-2021 at 06:43 AM.
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Doug, you're doing fine. More information just helps us provide advice. Rob has now jumped in and will give you excellent, experienced advice as he and his wife full-time in the same coach. I agree with Rob's initial thought about the leveling system. I have witnessed this myself and it is a WTH moment! If you feel better checking the tanks, Rob can give you specifics I'm sure, but you will be looking behind the bulkhead in the basement and near the rear axle.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Rob! I'll work on the signature block thing later .... more pressing issues to address now.

FYI .... I replaced one quart of the ATF (or whatever was in there) with one quart of the Maxima Fork Oil about 15 months ago when I first encountered the "popping" in the leveling system. I haven't experienced it again since (unless that was the source this time). DW and I have been full-timing in our rig since we picked it up as newbies in Jan of 2020. The "pop" this time was at least 10X louder than I recall it sounding like in the past.

Have you, or anyone else reading this, ever heard of the straps that hold down the water "holding tanks" breaking or "snapping" while the rig was parked? I'm not very excited about dropping the belly cover to in inspect the straps on all four tanks, but I'm seeing that as my only options. My dilemma is that in 6 days we are going on a month long caravan tour with Fantasy Tours, and it would be disappointing if i have to deal with tanks issues that could have been prevented. Truth be told, it would be a relief to know for sure if it was in fact the leveling system.

Thanks for your willingness to share your thoughts and expertise. Please know that it is truly appreciate.

Aloha,
    DOUG

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know that I've ever read of tank straps breaking, but I have read of the bolts pulling out. Some of them are pretty small and self-tapping and undersized for the job they're supposed to do. I
    don't remember what brands have had issues, but it has happened. Perhaps more likely if you're traveling with a full, or partially full water tank.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just curious why it's the tank straps that you are suspecting as the source of that sound you heard? Are you seeing a sag in the coroplast? Issues draining? Since you are leaving in less then a week, getting a mobile tech might be impossible. Lowering the coroplast is not complicated but it is a 2-3 person job. Setting a 2x4 or 2x6 across the rig to help support the underbelly while you tie it back in will help a lot. If you plan on going this route. If this helps ease your stress, I haven't read of these straps failing on this active forum. This doesn't mean that it can't happen, just not common.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On the "has it ever" question, I will say, "Yes," but not since the 2016 - 2017 time frame as far as I can recall. There were several incidents of tanks falling out, but GD changed how they were mounting things and I'm not aware of any incidents since then. Sadly, the folks who bought our 2016 Reflection 337 had it happen to them with the black tank about 9 months after they bought the rig. The black tank fell out, pushed down the Coroplast, and was dragging on the ground on the curb side. They were on the road when this happened and, again, it was a 2016 model (summer 2015 build)

There are some not-too-expensive fiberoptic scopes you can get... probably not much more than the cost of a mobile tech visit. You could insert in various places to inspect without dropping the underbelly altogether. Just a thought.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawaiian Punch View Post
    I apologize upfront if I'm doing this wrong. Please be gentle and educate me as this is my first post on this site.

Earlier today we heard an extremally loud snapping sound that it really scared us. I suspect a strap (possibly one that holds one of the tanks in place) broke. My question is, what is the best way to inspect the straps? Is this something best left to an expert (ie: mobile tech) to do?

Thank you for your time and consideration. Aloha!
    We also have a very loud and frequent popping sound coming from the off door side. Turns out it's the "J" near the wheel wells causing the noise. It occurs as this area heats up and expands.
    Russ & Bonnie Schurig
    Land O Lakes, FL
    2021 Grand Design S-Class 3540GK-R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast