User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Refrigerator - Norcold 1210

I know this is like beating a dead horse, but I just have to vent. We have had our 2021 320 MKS since May of 2020. Although this is our first Fifth Wheel and our first Grand Design, it is our 4th trailer. This fifth wheel is perfect for us in many ways. We have never experienced issues with the refrigerator in any of our travel trailers. We are not full time, but we live and camp in Texas, year around. I was glad we had not had any issues with the refrigerator, but we did on our last camping trip a couple of weeks ago. I know Grand Design did not design or manufacture the refrigerator, but they did choose to place this product in their product. I would think they would have higher standards and invest in the research and engineering for a better solution than what is offered. Has anyone looked at the price of these refrigerators? Not that I plan to, but if I were to replace with a like model, it would be over $3k! Should a $3k refrigerator be more resiliant and perform better? This refrigerator is supposed to work best when outside temps are <90 deg. If this is so why in the hell are they selling these 1. in warmer climates, such as Texas, without warning and 2. to people that intend to travel to places that may be a warmer climate without warning. Were any of us told up front to avoid using your camper in 90+ deg weather because the refrigerator will not keep your food at a safe temperature before you made your $40k, $50k, $60k or more purchase? Is anyone else pissed off that you have to add extra fans or make alterations to make this thing work as is should? An over $3k refrigerator and the manufacturer could not put $50 more in fan(s) so the unit would cool properly.

Vent over for now. Thank you for listening.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree we have a 2022 320MKS and we are going for our third refrigerator. You would think they would come better than this POS.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrej View Post
    I know this is like beating a dead horse, but I just have to vent. We have had our 2021 320 MKS since May of 2020. Although this is our first Fifth Wheel and our first Grand Design, it is our 4th trailer. This fifth wheel is perfect for us in many ways. We have never experienced issues with the refrigerator in any of our travel trailers. We are not full time, but we live and camp in Texas, year around. I was glad we had not had any issues with the refrigerator, but we did on our last camping trip a couple of weeks ago. I know Grand Design did not design or manufacture the refrigerator, but they did choose to place this product in their product. I would think they would have higher standards and invest in the research and engineering for a better solution than what is offered. Has anyone looked at the price of these refrigerators? Not that I plan to, but if I were to replace with a like model, it would be over $3k! Should a $3k refrigerator be more resiliant and perform better? This refrigerator is supposed to work best when outside temps are <90 deg. If this is so why in the hell are they selling these 1. in warmer climates, such as Texas, without warning and 2. to people that intend to travel to places that may be a warmer climate without warning. Were any of us told up front to avoid using your camper in 90+ deg weather because the refrigerator will not keep your food at a safe temperature before you made your $40k, $50k, $60k or more purchase? Is anyone else pissed off that you have to add extra fans or make alterations to make this thing work as is should? An over $3k refrigerator and the manufacturer could not put $50 more in fan(s) so the unit would cool properly.

Sorry to hear of the troubles, but I think it's fixable. We had to replace fans in upper, lower exterior, as well as thermistor in the fridge and the temperature sensor on the upper exterior fin blade. We also added an interior fan to circulate air. It sounds like a lot but was relatively simple and our Norcold runs properly (9-13 degrees freezer, 28-34 fridge). The external fans are way too small imo, that's why we upgraded them. Happy to help further and hope that helps you all.

All of these upgrades came to a total of less than $50.
    Last edited by CaptPicardo; 09-15-2021 at 12:03 AM.
    Jeff & Ally
    Started in Colorado Springs, Nov 2020 - full-timers
    Navy CPO ISC (SW/AW)
    RVIA Certified Tech (L1)
    2019 Grand Design - Solitude 377MBS
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/Allison Standard Bed SRW

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks. I understand an we are doing these things. My frustration is I feel that this refrigerator should be outfitted to use. We should not have to spend anything to make it work properly; it should come equiped to work.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just got a 2022 340rds less than 2 weeks ago. Our first 5th wheel, but 3 camper. Never an issue with the fridge.
    We've had some 90+ temps the last few days and the fridge struggles to keep up.
    Been reading up on these fridges and trying to figure out what to do.
    Yesterday, I put a desk fan in the lower fridge compartment blowing air up. And imagine that, the fridge managed to keep normal temps.

But I agree, for the cost of these things, we shouldn't have to do anything but turn them on.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptPicardo View Post
    Sorry to hear of the troubles, but I think it's fixable. We had to replace fans in upper, lower exterior, as well as thermistor in the fridge and the temperature sensor on the upper exterior fin blade. We also added an interior fan to circulate air. It sounds like a lot but was relatively simple and our Norcold runs properly (9-13 degrees freezer, 28-34 fridge). The external fans are way too small imo, that's why we upgraded them. Happy to help further and hope that helps you all.

All of these upgrades came to a total of less than $50.
    Can you tell me what you did / used ? Guess, I'm going to have to do the same.

I know, brand new unit. Could call the dealer and wait 8 wks to have them look at. Travel 100+ miles each way... or spend $50-60 bucks and just fix it. hummm... I'd spend more in fuel than the cost to fix it.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gondrej View Post

Got a 2021 303 with the Norcold 1210. The larger fridge was one of the driving factors that got me to the 303. We have camped in almost 50 days since new. In the middle of our last trip one of the fans failed, blowing the 5 amp fuse on the fridge control board, rendering it inop. After a couple of hours, some searching online, and a few fuses, I isolated the problem, to one of the two air circulation fans. It’s a really poorly executed solution to a problem that wouldn’t exist in a proper fridge installation.

Failure happened in the middle of the night on a Monday, by Tuesday at lunch time, Grand Design had authorized a mobile technician or a trip to a dealer for repair. Nearest dealer was LazyDays in Knoxville, they were an hour away and booked solid for the next 3 months. My week’s worth of food and drinks was warming up fast in the 96 degree weather. First available mobile tech was Friday. And they didn’t carry the fan on their truck?

Short story made long, GD customer service said they would reimburse me for the part from the dealer who was able to get it the next day, and I could do the work. The “authorized” replacement fan from a Grand Design dealer is $161.00, it was a WTF moment, for me. The Norcold store on Amazon has it for $67.00. Mobile tech would have cost $250 plus parts, I would have to pay up front, plus buy a cooler and a bunch of ice to get through the next week. The similar weather proof fan on Amazon is about $20 for a 2 pack. Guess what is in my tool box now. The fans should also have individual fuses so a single fan failure doesn’t render the fridge inoperative.

Sent my receipt to Grand Design per their request. Still waiting. My fridge is operational now, but my patience is waning. Two weeks, and counting.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reality is there are only 2 choices in the style and size of refrigerator - Dometic and Norcold. BOTH are plagued with problems. I believe Grand Design went with Norcold 4 door models because the Dometic were having even worse issue of unreliability.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by geotex1 View Post
    The reality is there are only 2 choices in the style and size of refrigerator - Dometic and Norcold. BOTH are plagued with problems. I believe Grand Design went with Norcold 4 door models because the Dometic were having even worse issue of unreliability.
    We have a 2018 303RLS with a Dometic fridge. We have not had any cooling issues with it. My friend has a 2021 303RLS with a Norcold and it won’t run on 110V. He says fans never come on, even when using propane. Fridge does run warm. Where is the 5 amp fuse located?
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, PullRite 16K Superglide, 2022 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali.

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess we have been really lucky with the Norcold in our Solitude. Other than having to totally "resize" the flap between the doors so it would work correctly without external coercion, ours has been working great.

However, knowing that the ammonia absorption condensers need lots of cooling, I mounted a switch inside the bottom outside vent and wired it to bypass the temperature switch at the top of the condenser fins. I turn this switch on whenever the outside temps are above 70 degrees. Now when its 90 outside we can keep ice cream that is not really hard, but its harder than soft-serve!!
    Frank and Char + Maya, Newport, Michigan. 2016 Solitude 379FL/2006 F250 6.0 diesel w/dually conversion. 4th rain-sense roof vent, two ceiling fans, Kodiak disc brakes, Carlisle G 14-ply tires, Water Miser x2, final dump valve, water header tank, fridge cond fan switch, outside range exhaust, elec hot water anode, filtered drinking water, triple battery box,

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast