User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2021 295 RL Brakes

I purchased a used 295RL from an individual that is coming up on 1 yr since it left the lot. Previous owners lived in it while building their new house so mileage is not high. While bringing it home with my GMC 2500 the trailer brakes worked great with a gain of about 6 on the controller. During the trip I had to make a hard stop and after that the trailer brakes were not as evident until I adjusted the gain up to around 7.

I thought I would pull the hubs today and check on the condition of the shoes but didn’t get a chance and in the meantime came up with a few questions. It has the Dexter 120100 5100# axles on it and I wondered if it had the automatic adjusting electric brakes? Is there a way to tell if it does without removing the hubs? If it does do they adjust in one direction only or both directions? I looked through the slots tonight and could not see the star wheel that most manual adjustment brakes have, all I saw was a spring and smooth looking piston type of rod thing.

Also if I remove the hub and check on the brakes, do I have to preload the bearing again when I re-install it, or is preload only for seating the bearings when you install new ones?

Thanks
    Tim
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Tim, on Grand Design's website you can look up what parts are on your trailer. Owner support-service and warranty-parts lookup. It shows you having automatic adjusting brakes.

For the bearings after inspection. Tighten to 20 foot pounds while spinning the wheel then loosen the castle nut. Now tighten it with fingers until slightly snug. Then back off the castle nut just a little to allow putting on the cotter pin or locking snap. If done correctly you will feel slight movement. Recommendation would be to replace the seals if you inspect.
    Last edited by TXkmpr; 09-16-2021 at 07:59 AM.