User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenb58 View Post
    I want to get started down this path and believe the future holds a higher capacity truck for me, but I'd sure love to wait out the insane prices the market has set for trucks.

I would personally wait out the insane prices on trailers as well then

No way would I buy a trailer at these prices

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 2800, scaled, with fulk propane tanks, battery, 15 gallons of potable and loaded to for a week long trip, weghs in right at 8000lbs, almost even, in total (tongue and axle weights)

Tongue, not distrubuted, is around 1020
    Distributed drops to 840-880.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you need any more specific numbers.
    2020 Grand Design Imagine 2800BH
    2019 Toyota Tundra Limited 5.7

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kenb58 View Post
    All,

I'd like to purchase the 2800, the listed GVWR weight is close to my trucks capacity. I wonder what the real world weight truly is and if someone has put theirs up on the scales, if they wouldn't mind listing what they found and was that with water in the tanks?

Thanks in advance.

r/

k
    Unsure how helpful I will be at this point but we bought a 2021 2800BH over a year ago because it met the specs of my 2016 1500 Silverado. I never scaled it. Empty or loaded (with what I considered to be within spec) the truck towed great. My issue was porpoising and trailer suck on the highway. We have the Blue Ox Hitch and at various settings I could not stop the suck or the porpoising. I ended up getting a 2020 2500HD and will never look back. Tows it like there is nothing behind it. No suck or porpoising. What I learned is it not always about the weight (down force) rather the ability to managing the sheer forces too. Hope this helps. Good luck. We love our 2800BH.have over 10,000 miles on it.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have not weighed mine yet but it tows well behind my fairly well equipped for towing F150. max tow, super crew, long bed/wheelbase, XLT/lower level trim
    2021 Imagine 2800BH
    2017 Flagstaff 831CLBSS - Sold 5/2021.
    2017 F150 Super crew, 3.5EB, long bed, max tow, 1800lbs payload. Pro Pride, prior WDH Blue Ox SwayPro

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From personal experience, adding air bags and anti-sway bars front and rear will make your truck more stable. What you can't do with add-ons is increase the capacity of your axles. So you could probably get by with adding bags and bars and being a super-safe driver until you can upgrade your truck. Everyone has an opinion, but if sh*t happens, chances are none of us will be affected directly unless we're there - only you, those with you, and those on the highway around you will be impacted. In the old days, very few checked weight limits or weighed their rigs, and there were accidents because of that. Today's emphasis on safety says "when in doubt, don't" and most everyone will encourage you to upgrade the tow vehicle. Older and hopefully wiser now, I had 12# to spare when we bought our 2500RL, so we upgraded the F150 to an F350 (it was $250 less than a 250 w/same equip). IMO the two things you can do to improve your towing safety is make sure you have an adequately equipped tow vehicle that exceeds the specs of your trailer, and be consistently safe in your driving habits.
    Mark and Judy
    2021 F350 Lariat Crew 4x4 SRW 7.3 Godzilla
    2021 Imagine 2500RL w/Hensley Arrow hitch
    Fleet Manager, Cowlitz County WA Search & Rescue

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you Mark,

Wise words. Our truck is already equipped with sway bars, but the initial plan is to purchase the ProPride P3, which is a Hensley weight distribution and and anti-sway hitch. I watched a video that compared airbags to weight distribution hitches, where the truck and trailer weights where measured using the two systems. The airbags actually added weight to the trucks rear axle and removed it from the front. So I do not plan to go that route, at least not with the current truck. Secondly, I plan to take only short trips initially and quantify how the truck is preforming. At that time, if I need to upgrade trucks, I've been looking for them at this time. Right now it looks like about a 20k delta to get the same amenities on the 3/4 ton. Right now we are worse case about 300 pounds within the trucks limits, but my goal is to end up with at least a 5% margin, or better.

Thanks again.

Regards,

ken

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 18 2800bh. I made the mistake of listening to the dealer. My Dodge Ram Hemi could tow it. But I was teetering on the weight like you are. Once you get to 65, hit those porpoise bumps, get passed by an 18 wheeler, or try to climb mountains you will realize the difference between can and should. I like many others jumped to a bigger truck. Once I switched to the Super Duty all of those problems went away. My simple opinion is if you are remotely close to the weight limits of the tow vehicle don't do it. Once you jump to a bigger truck your options open up even more. My first trip in the 1500 it hurt to open my hand after the drive because I was squeezing the wheel so hard. There's no such thing as too much truck.

Sent from my Z6750M using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12