Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Airbags and a Compressor doing double duty

I've just about settled on the Firestone airbags. I'm still on the fence regarding an onboard compressor. It would be handy, but I would like for it to be able to operate airbags and also switch over to air up truck and trailer tires. I'm sure it could be done with a crossover manifold with shutoff valves, but I'm not sure how I would do it do that it did not look like a rocket project and a plumbing nightmare under the truck. Has anyone successfully done this?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I saw a post a while ago...i think it was on Facebook though...someone did this in a skinny toolbox in the bed and had a coil of hose that would reach all the tires.

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
    2021 GD Reflection 303rls
    2019 ram 2500 Crew Cab tradesman 4x4
    Autoslider 5th wheel hitch.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After 16 years, I just replaced my original Firestone airbags because the housings rusted out and wouldn't hold air. But the air compressor is still going strong. I opted for a small onboard compressor for the air bags and I have a portable Viair for the tires and such so that I can take it in different vehicles. I like that option a lot...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My last truck was manual fill bags, this one is auto fill with a remote in the truck. I much prefer the auto fill. I also keep a Viair when I have the camper with me.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    I've just about settled on the Firestone airbags. I'm still on the fence regarding an onboard compressor. It would be handy, but I would like for it to be able to operate airbags and also switch over to air up truck and trailer tires. I'm sure it could be done with a crossover manifold with shutoff valves, but I'm not sure how I would do it do that it did not look like a rocket project and a plumbing nightmare under the truck. Has anyone successfully done this?
    I have the Firestone bags with a wireless AirOne on board compressor. I've been quite happy with the setup but this compressor is dedicated to the bags. However, a buddy of mine has a setup like what you desire. He has an on board Viair with a tank. There is a mechanical valve with a gauge in the cab that he uses to air up the bags or deflate. In addition there is a standard air coupler in the back to hook up a hose for airing up tires. It is not a complicated stem and everything is available off the shelf.

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my Viair compressor originally to power the air horns I was putting on the truck. It is in the toolbox that is in the bed of the truck, and has a line that goes through the bottom of the toolbox and bed of the truck, to the solenoid valve that operates the horns. A few months back, I added a few fittings and a quick connect for air, and now have a 25' air line that will reach all six tires on the truck, plus the air fill ports for the AirLift 7500 XL air bags. Mine is all manual except the air horns.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by xrated View Post
    I bought my Viair compressor originally to power the air horns I was putting on the truck. It is in the toolbox that is in the bed of the truck, and has a line that goes through the bottom of the toolbox and bed of the truck, to the solenoid valve that operates the horns. A few months back, I added a few fittings and a quick connect for air, and now have a 25' air line that will reach all six tires on the truck, plus the air fill ports for the AirLift 7500 XL air bags. Mine is all manual except the air horns.
    Can you post a drawing of the fittings you used and how you plumbed everything.I want my compressor to do double duty also.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas