User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Process for side wall build

Does anyone know grand design’s process they use to build the laminated panels? Is it pinch roll or vacuum bonding?

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Pinch roll

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the reply, I was curious about it because we are looking at the 2800BH imagine , and the salesman told us it was vacuum formed but we had been looking at the jayco just the day before and he said they were
    the only ones that did the vacuum forming for the laminated panels

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Damniyboy1 View Post
    Thanks for the reply, I was curious about it because we are looking at the 2800BH imagine , and the salesman told us it was vacuum formed but we had been looking at the jayco just the day before and he said they were
    the only ones that did the vacuum forming for the laminated panels
    Lol. Sounds like a typical rv salesman. Just make stuff up because they don’t have a clue

But if you are referring to “Azdel” many manufacturers use it other than Jayco

Coachmen uses it as do many Forest river products

Imo it is a far superior build than Grand design
    I looked at Cougar,Coachmen Freedom and Whitehawk when shopping

The Imagine had the layout and storage(both compartment and tank) that was much larger than any other
    Also it was the cheapest of them all
    This is why we bought the Imagine
    But the construction and materials inside are much cheaper

Hopefully it holds up

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Azdel you are referring to is a plastic fiberglass composite material which replaces the luan board, not the exterior surface. I retired from the plastics industry and I would guess that the luan is stiffer which would give less flexing of the wall at equal thickness. The vacuum form versus pinch roll refers to how the luan (pinch roll) or the Azdel (plastic composite) is attached to the aluminum structure. With the Azdel, I assume the only manufacturing choice is vacuum forming it as it likely won't adhere with glue. So in the vacuum form process, you are hoping that the plastic composite draws down equally and thick enough to form a good bond. Otherwise it won't hold to the aluminum. In both sub-wall processes, exterior fiberglass walls are likely a similar process. Can't say which is "better" for the sub-wall. Choice is really determined by what the manufacturer has for equipment. If they only have pinch rolls, then luan it is.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a sales tactic. Everyone tries to find something the layperson is not familiar with to accentuate the difference. If my sales team weren't masterful at this, I wouldn't have North of 2000 individual SKUs!

Ignore the "versus" qualitative comparisons and get the quantitative ones. How thick are the walls, what is the framing made from and thickness, what is the structural warranty, does the factory test EVERY sidewall or just a percentage and so on.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania