User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Accident and Warranties

Well, here goes, As some have read my previous post about an accident back on July 1. so far, looks like we will be getting truck back, repaired of course, maybe yet this week. Trailer is still in the decision making stages. Inspection and inspections and inspections. so now it looks like and I am somewhat planning on getting it back, repaired of course. So now the big question, Has anyone requested some type of warranty for a repaired unit? I am thinking of getting a good warranty and hopefully get the "at fault" insurance/party foot the bill. At least for 2 years, hopefully 3. any thoughts, ideas etc. are greatly appreciated, or if you have had experience with one or some, let me know. Thanks again in advance. Jeff
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you're talking about the so-called "extended warranties," (they are not warranties, but rather insurance policies with lots of fine print), here's my take on them: they are another form of legalized gambling. The company is betting that nothing breaks that would cause them to pay out more than you paid for the policy; you're betting it will. As in all forms of legalized gambling, the house usually wins. Otherwise, these companies wouldn't be in business or make a profit.

Dave Ramsey and Clark Howard have commented on these plans many times, too. The standard seems to be that 80% of extended service plan revenue goes toward commissions and marketing. Only 20% goes toward paying for actual repairs, which means most people are getting a really bad deal. We prefer to set money aside regularly (earning interest) and pay for repairs as they come up.

Now, if the money for the policy is not coming out of your pocket, go for it! Check out a company called Wholesale Warranties. They have been in the business for quite a while and sell policies for some of the more-reputable carriers.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would ask to have a cash settlement added especially for depreciation loss
    I definitely would never buy your trailer knowing it was in an accident
    Doubtful they will do this but you have a case imo

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Making a depreciated value claim is definitely a good idea when your loss is covered by someone else's insurance.
    Current: 2021 Transcend 261BH, 2019 Ford F250 SRW SWB CC 6.2 - Picture
    Previous: 2016 Jayco X213, 2014 F150 EB 3.5

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Following my research, plus the continued communication with both insurance companies, I feel pretty confident that we will recoup the majority of the out of pocket cost plus diminished value. My understanding is anything reasonable is usually negotiated and paid. My daily cost for Insurance, Tags, truck payment have all been calculated to $26 per day, plus the 10% for an Arizona estimated diminished value cost. The other insurance company will be into it for about $18,000, as of yesterday. That includes transport fees from South Lake Tahoe to Peoria Arizona. I'll try to get them to commit to an extended warranty if they don't total the trailer due to the potential unforeseen things like plumbing and electrical in walls, floors etc. I'll keep all posted. Have a great day!!!
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Have you even discussed with any potential companies on if there is even such a possibility of warranty for repair work after accident on RV?

Just curious if there's even a warranty that could be found, much less paid for. I don't think the extended warranty plans typically sold would work. That's usually for new rigs, and usually mostly for the equipment etc. I don't think a regular extended warranty company would issue a warranty for structural damage caused by accident.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    Have you even discussed with any potential companies on if there is even such a possibility of warranty for repair work after accident on RV?

Just curious if there's even a warranty that could be found, much less paid for. I don't think the extended warranty plans typically sold would work. That's usually for new rigs, and usually mostly for the equipment etc. I don't think a regular extended warranty company would issue a warranty for structural damage caused by accident.

Mike
    My thought is/was that if we end up getting the unit back, we will still be unaware of anything related to plumbing, electrical and maybe slide issues from the abrupt zig and zag we encountered following the impact. The warranty could be one of those that you can purchase from Good Sam or something.
    The trailer didn't receive any impact from the car that hit us, just the truck. The damage done to the trailer was from the jerking left, then right, the left followed by finally stopping over the curb / gutter / sidewalk. All in about 400 feet. So with all that is completed we felt it may take some of the worry out of any potential after affects that could be missed during the repairs. And if the responsible party pays for it, that would be the right thing for them to do. So that is the thought process in it, maybe I am reaching to far, but trying to be realistic.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know enough about extended warranties to know if you can buy one for a used trailer, not purchased from dealer or not. Im sure you probably can. Don't know how old your RV is, in terms of finding a company to give you a warranty.

I can understand wanting to ask for one. Just not sure if you will get one. Wish you luck. Hope you'll let us know.

Mike
    Im Mike Willoughby, and I approve this message.
    2017 Ram 3500 CTD (aka FRAM)
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 367BHS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Walaby View Post
    I don't know enough about extended warranties to know if you can buy one for a used trailer, not purchased from dealer or not. Im sure you probably can. Don't know how old your RV is, in terms of finding a company to give you a warranty.

I can understand wanting to ask for one. Just not sure if you will get one. Wish you luck. Hope you'll let us know.

Mike
    yep, there are a few out there, They are expensive, like rob said earlier, they are just insurance policies and we do the same and put $$$ aside for those things we may need, and, then like you say getting them to pay for it, that will be another story. in the meantime, like I said, if we get it back, great as long as I don't have any issues. As far as the warranty. that would be a benefit. Yep I will keep you posted. Thanks again for listening.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My take on service plans is they are the equivalent of life insurance or accident insurance. Only you can decide if they are right for you. We have had them with different outcomes. The first one we had, we had a major problem and the service plan more than paid for itself. The second one we didn't use, but when we sold the trailer after a year, we were able to receive 4/5 of the price in refund because we hadn't utilized it. The third one we were able to negotiate the price down so low that just about any repair will pay for it. Wholesale Warranties has the best prices and good underwriters (as of my last research). Also, make sure you get a policy that covers everything except what is specifically excluded rather than one that covers only the stated items, especially if you aren't footing the bill.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast