User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Question GMC Trailer Auxilary Camera Installation, Part 2

We have a 2021 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali and tow a 2019 Grand Design 310GK. The truck has all the bells and whistles, and we would like to add the Trailer Auxiliary Camera (Models W/Trailer - GM (84946379) to the back of the trailer. This will allow us to see the camera view through the existing infotainment radio screen. We are ready to bite the bullet and order the camera now and still have a few questions for someone that has installed it on their GD 310GK.

How did you install it (cable outside or inside the trailer)? Did you have someone install it and if so, how much did it cost? When installing it on your GMC Trailer profile, what numbers did you use for these questions?

1. Center of coupler to furthest rear point
    2. Center of coupler to middle of tires
    3. Left edge to right edge of the trailer
    4. Ground to tallest point of trailer
    5. Ground to top of coupler
    6. Center of coupler to trailer front wall
    7. Hitch receiver to center of ball

Any help would be appreciated. thanks
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.
    2019 Grand Design Solitude 310GK

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post
    We have a 2021 GMC 3500HD Diesel Denali and tow a 2019 Grand Design 310GK. The truck has all the bells and whistles, and we would like to add the Trailer Auxiliary Camera (Models W/Trailer - GM (84946379) to the back of the trailer. This will allow us to see the camera view through the existing infotainment radio screen. We are ready to bite the bullet and order the camera now and still have a few questions for someone that has installed it on their GD 310GK.

How did you install it (cable outside or inside the trailer)? Did you have someone install it and if so, how much did it cost? When installing it on your GMC Trailer profile, what numbers did you use for these questions?

Not an answer, just want to follow. We have a nearly identical setup and I've thought about an integrated rearview cam, since the Chevy/GMCs are pre-wired for it. My one worry is running the wire the length of the rig somewhere/how and the plugging into then bumper hitch plugs. Wondering if a wireless with it's own view screen would be easier.
    Colin & Tracy
    '21 Chevy Silverado 3500HD LTZ/Z71/SRW, Long bed, Anderson UH
    '21 Solitude 310 GK-R

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It would be cheaper, but you end up with another device on your dash board. I've seen pictures of installs where they just run the cable outside and down the back and back under the frame and also snaking the cable through the body. Both had the cable run through the front storage and then out to hook to the bumper connect. I had purchased the TPMS system from GMC only to find out they were designed for smaller tires and the receiver for them was behind the back license plate and everyone said it's location gave poor readings. Going to get a separate TPMS system.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TexasUmpire View Post

I have been thinking about installing this camera. I'm not worried about the "invisible trailer" view, I just want to avoid having a separate monitor in the cab of my pickup. Because of this, I would install the camera up high (maybe using the factory camera mount) instead of at tailgate height as indicating in the installation instructions. I don't want a camera low enough that someone could reach it. Since I would install it high on the back I would simply run the cable along the roof somehow and maybe take it down the solar chase that gets you to the basement up front. From there, I would take it through to the fifth wheel hitch where I would tie it to the umbilical. This would require that I move the camera plugs from the lower truck connector to the one in the box for the fifth wheel.
    All of this assumes the cable they give me is long enough but from what I have read, I would probably have enough. I was waiting for someone else to do this mod so I could follow along, lol. I haven't been in a big hurry to put a hole in my month old roof. I thought this would be seamless since I have factory solar but GD did not use the front chase to penetrate the roof, they did that toward the rear of the roof.
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R
    Factory Solar, Factory Disk Brakes, Heat Pump

2017 Reflection 29RS (Sold)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Husker View Post
    I have been thinking about installing this camera. I'm not worried about the "invisible trailer" view, I just want to avoid having a separate monitor in the cab of my pickup. Because of this, I would install the camera up high (maybe using the factory camera mount) instead of at tailgate height as indicating in the installation instructions. I don't want a camera low enough that someone could reach it. Since I would install it high on the back I would simply run the cable along the roof somehow and maybe take it down the solar chase that gets you to the basement up front. From there, I would take it through to the fifth wheel hitch where I would tie it to the umbilical. This would require that I move the camera plugs from the lower truck connector to the one in the box for the fifth wheel.
    All of this assumes the cable they give me is long enough but from what I have read, I would probably have enough. I was waiting for someone else to do this mod so I could follow along, lol. I haven't been in a big hurry to put a hole in my month old roof. I thought this would be seamless since I have factory solar but GD did not use the front chase to penetrate the roof, they did that toward the rear of the roof.
    I'd be interested also from someone that has it installed this way as to the type of view it provides when mounted high.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Interested in following this loop- we are investigating this route with our GM dealer but cable is only 60’ and to hide the cable we would be really pushing that length.
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500
    2022 GD Momentum 381m

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am new to the GD Forum so here goes...

I have a 2021 GMC 3500HD with the trailer camera package. I want to mount the camera to the rear of my 2021 Solitude 310 GKR but I am concerned about how to mount it. The camera bracket comes with two holes and screws for mounting. So I guess it has to be mounted that way to withstand the weight and trailer movement. I am concerned that the trailer "skin" is not meant to support that installation and that it should be screwed into the wall frame structure.

Has anyone mounted the GM camera to the rear of their trailer? Did you mount into the frame structure? How did you find where within the rear wall is the frame?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Last edited by Penny and Rob; 10-15-2021 at 10:29 AM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny and Rob View Post
    I am new to the GD Forum so here goes...

I have a 2021 GMC 3500HD with the trailer camera package. I want to mount the camera to the rear of my 2021 Solitude 310 GKR but I am concerned about how to mount it. The camera bracket comes with two holes and screws for mounting. So I guess it has to be mounted that way to withstand the weight and trailer movement. I am concerned that the trailer "skin" is not meant to support that installation and that it should be screwed into the wall frame structure.

Has anyone mounted the GM camera to the rear of their trailer? Did you mount into the frame structure? How did you find where within the rear wall is the frame?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
    Not done it yet but a couple members have posted pictures with it right under the window in the back and ran the cable over to the ladder (under window) and down and under the belly. They have not said any thing about issues with the mounting.
    Gary and Cindy
    Cibolo, Tx.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Husker,

I'm not running anything on or through my RV roof. I want to keep the roof integrity at all costs regardless of the inconvenience!

Once I figure out how to mount the camera (see previous post), I plan on routing the cable over to the ladder and down our straight down (have not yet decided) to the bottom of the trailer. I am going to run PVC pipe along the bottom of the trailer to the front of the trailer and figure it out from there. I plan on carefully sealing both ends of the PVC pipe with a generous amount of silicon. From there, I will route the cable up to the hitch and so on.

The connection jack on the end of the cable would require a larger diameter PVC pipe than I want to use. So I open up the camera and disconnected the wire so I can feed the camera end of the wire through the PVC pipe.

I do not expect it will integrate with GM's "see through" technology do to the length of the trailer, but as an out-the-back view, it will be much better that the Furrion time delay Bluetooth camera system and forward vision through the windshield will be better. If it does integrate, I might get my wife to try driving with the trailer on. Woohoo!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Penny and Rob View Post
    Husker,

I'm not running anything on or through my RV roof. I want to keep the roof integrity at all costs regardless of the inconvenience!

Once I figure out how to mount the camera (see previous post), I plan on routing the cable over to the ladder and down our straight down (have not yet decided) to the bottom of the trailer. I am going to run PVC pipe along the bottom of the trailer to the front of the trailer and figure it out from there. I plan on carefully sealing both ends of the PVC pipe with a generous amount of silicon. From there, I will route the cable up to the hitch and so on.

The connection jack on the end of the cable would require a larger diameter PVC pipe than I want to use. So I open up the camera and disconnected the wire so I can feed the camera end of the wire through the PVC pipe.

I do not expect it will integrate with GM's "see through" technology do to the length of the trailer, but as an out-the-back view, it will be much better that the Furrion time delay Bluetooth camera system and forward vision through the windshield will be better. If it does integrate, I might get my wife to try driving with the trailer on. Woohoo!
    There is a wire holder that runs under the rig that we are thinking about utilizing so we don’t have to tack anything into/onto the roof or run over the cap. It ends in the battery compartment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast