User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RAM Cummins HO RRT for insufficient oil on cold start

***EDIT*** Apparently not just for the HO and includes 2500 and 3500.

For anyone with a 2019-2020 HO, I had thought this was only for the Cab Chassis versions until the dealer service department contacted me to get Rapid Response Transmittal 21-027 PCM update performed to correct what was described in recall W57 (below).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/202...0V511-9127.pdf

This turned out to be a large download (2GB) which also included an update to the AISIN transmission (no clue what was included in that). All based upon which version of the CP4 you have (scary thought).

Below is the TSB for 2020 - a lot of changes.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...90691-9999.pdf

Just passing along in case anyone is interested.
    Last edited by ajg617; 09-18-2021 at 12:58 PM.
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I just got this flash a couple of days ago. I had the p0299 engine light (turbo under boost) come on the last 100 miles to my current location. That code is also on the rapid response, and according to the mechanic, possible recall coming out in the near future. Dealer cleared and flashed the truck, said that the code came back, but it is currently off for me. Due to dealer schedule and parts being 2-3 weeks+, I am going to try and pull my trailer home next week (600 miles), and deal with it at home. Have a couple good hills to climb.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    29 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    I just got this flash a couple of days ago. I had the p0299 engine light (turbo under boost) come on the last 100 miles to my current location. That code is also on the rapid response, and according to the mechanic, possible recall coming out in the near future. Dealer cleared and flashed the truck, said that the code came back, but it is currently off for me. Due to dealer schedule and parts being 2-3 weeks+, I am going to try and pull my trailer home next week (600 miles), and deal with it at home. Have a couple good hills to climb.
    Good luck towing home over hills - clearly a concern. When the RAM throws that code and CEL goes on, does it go into a limp mode like the 6.0L Fords?
    Been through the P0299 code wars with my daughters 05 F350 6.0L. She could not pull her live in horse trailer up a hill with out that truck throwing the code and going into limp mode. Pull off to side, shut it down, re-start, and resume with no CEL and no code and full boost.

Did the mechanic say what the recall might be (praying for CP3)?

Best of luck getting home!!
    Robin & John
    2020 Ram 3500 LB SRW 4WD Crew Laramie 6.7HO Aisin, 55gal Titan
    2022 Solitude 310GK-R - Dual pane, factory solar & Onan, 8K axles with discs, 18K GVWR, W/D, Heat Pump, Goosebox, Battleborn

2023 stays

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ajg617 View Post
    Good luck towing home over hills - clearly a concern. When the RAM throws that code and CEL goes on, does it go into a limp mode like the 6.0L Fords?
    Been through the P0299 code wars with my daughters 05 F350 6.0L. She could not pull her live in horse trailer up a hill with out that truck throwing the code and going into limp mode. Pull off to side, shut it down, re-start, and resume with no CEL and no code and full boost.

Did the mechanic say what the recall might be (praying for CP3)?

Best of luck getting home!!
    Luckily, it has not gone into the limp mode, otherwise, I will be stuck. Could be a small air leak, or the vanes in the turbo were a little sticky. Hard to say, as it is a generic code for the turbo, and all the systems associated with it. Several people have mentioned, that when they had the code, they were told that any aftermarket air filter can cause the problem. Not sure how or why, or maybe coincidence, but several switched back to OEM, and have not had the code since.

I have been running a STP air filter for 15K+ miles. Just changed it 800 miles ago with the same. Could be coincidence, but I need luck, so I bought a MOPAR filter, and put it in.

As far as recall, the mechanic was saying the p0299 is a separate issue, but with all the ones he is seeing, thinks RAM will do something. He also says they will recall the fuel pumps in the '19-'20, but I wouldn't bet on it. RAM has been giving lip service on it for over a year so far, and it is cheaper not to. Heck, they need to beat FORD in something.....
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wileykid View Post
    ...Several people have mentioned, that when they had the code, they were told that any aftermarket air filter can cause the problem. Not sure how or why, or maybe coincidence, but several switched back to OEM, and have not had the code since.
    Turbos can be funny critters... If the filter it too tight, it's a problem. If it's too loose, you can have turbulent flow . If it's oiled, you can be up for a world of hurt. Have a "cold air" kit with no engineering behind it (many), the air flow can be a turbulent, choppy mess!

Man, I miss putting turbos on EVERYTHING in the 90s! LOL.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania