User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fireplace does not work when propane heater is on.

In my 2020 311BHS fifth wheel, the fireplace works well. However, on days that are colder it does not keep the place warm (which I understand). So, if I turn on the propane heater, the fireplace will not work anymore. I noticed that last time it did that, I found that if I set the fireplace temp up to mid to upper 80's then it would come on. I just took the fireplace out and noticed a hole in the floor behind the fireplace. What is happening is that the heat is blowing through that hole, thus making it hot behind the fireplace. So, it makes the fireplace think it is warmer than it is.

There is a heater vent on the other side of that wall (in the bathroom), so I sure that is where the heat is supposed to go. The heat does not come out of that vent very well at all.

I can put some metal ducting tape over the hole, but I am concerned that I will be losing a lot of heat to the under belly of my 5th wheel.

See attached photos.

Any suggestions?

I wonder if Grand Design should fix this, even if the warranty is over.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hole behind fireplace_2.jpg   Hole beind fireplace_1.jpg  

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think you are fine to cover that hole. I would take the opportunity though since you have the fireplace out to make an access panel to see how things look on the bathroom wall. If things are required, your in there now and correct if needed. If all good button it up close the hole and put the fireplace back in, all good.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Found a problem, hopefully a simple solution can be found.

Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    ... make an access panel to see how things look on the bathroom wall. If things are required, your in there now and correct if needed.
    Thank you for the idea. I did find issues. The hole from the heating duct is just that a hole, no hose or tube from the floor duct to the vent in the bathroom. It just is opens to the whole wall. I will see what I can do to fix it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hole behind fireplace_3.jpg  

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, that’s a big hole on the bathroom side. As far as the hole in the floor, I think some spray foam would be sufficient. You could cut a cardboard block to fit at the bottom of the hole then spray in the foam.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, I am slow today. That hole on the Bathroom side is where the heater register goes. Got it. You could get a ribbed tube to fit into the hole, foam it in and connect to the register. I see at least one reducer to go from the hole in the floor to the bathroom. I think that would solve the fireplace issue and get more heat into the bathroom by directing the air.
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My solution

I could not find a tube/hose to fit the two different sizes. So, I enclosed the vent hole with wood and then taped off all the seams. It is a little hard to see in the photo, but the hole opening is still there. I can tell the air does some out a little better in the bathroom now. I think this will work for the fireplace, but no way to tell for sure until my next time out. Hopefully in a few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails hole behind fireplace_4.jpg  

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Looks good, the only other suggestion would to ensure that when you put the finish wall back up, make sure that hole only feeds into the cavity of the bathroom register. Maybe open up the wall behind the fireplace so the entire floor hole is inside the bathroom wall cavity ( cardboard and foil tape). Until you plug it up to the fireplace you will get false temp readings by the fireplace.

Lookin Good!
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by russ.nesbitt View Post
    Thank you for the idea. I did find issues. The hole from the heating duct is just that a hole, no hose or tube from the floor duct to the vent in the bathroom. It just is opens to the whole wall. I will see what I can do to fix it.
    Wow in another respect. That is really shoddy and poor work.
    2018 F150 XLT 301a, Screw, 4x4, HDPP, Max tow, Andersen Ultimate w/ Curt Double Lock hitch.
    2019 Grand Design Reflection 150 series 260RD.... SOLD!!!!.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Okay and this is something we found bizarre but may play into your dilemma. When very cold, our fireplace doesn’t work and flashes an error message (like 88 or 99). In checking we found the fireplace doesn’t work when it is too cold (this is where things get bizarre). Once the propane heater warms the trailer up (like to 60 or 60), we can use the fireplace. Go figure.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by russ.nesbitt View Post
    I could not find a tube/hose to fit the two different sizes. So, I enclosed the vent hole with wood and then taped off all the seams. It is a little hard to see in the photo, but the hole opening is still there. I can tell the air does some out a little better in the bathroom now. I think this will work for the fireplace, but no way to tell for sure until my next time out. Hopefully in a few weeks.
    What is the size (diameter) of the plastic wall vent and how deep is that wall space? Possibly something like this 3" flex duct taped in place could work for you. These small vents put out very little airflow even when they are connected correctly with flex pipe... I definitely would NOT leave it the way you have it now.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/IMPERIAL-3-...e-Duct/4566290
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 09-26-2021 at 02:41 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast