User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel 337 RLS / staying hooked up ??

We just made a quick decision to take the new 337RLS to Colorado for a week and one of the nights I want to stay hooked up for an early departure. We had an Imagine 2670 and we did the same a few times at sites that were fairly level and all I had to do was add a couple of blocks and level from side to side. Luckily front to back at all the sites we stayed at were very close to level.
    We have used the new Reflection and stayed in it for a week and loved it and have practiced hooking and un hooking several times but the idea of staying hooked up with a 5th wheel gives me a few questions.
    Side by side is no problem but if I am hooked up and low in the front how will I level the 5'r if I'm hooked up? If I am low in the back I assume I would block up the rear tires but what about being low in the front?
    Also, the 337 has auto level and I wouldnt want to use auto level while hooked up but do I manually bring the stabilizers down and just touch the ground?

Any help will be appreciated, we love the 5th wheel but after being comfortable in the travel trailer we have another learning curve to adjust to.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Larry,

I see no reason why you can’t stay connected for a night. You got the formula right. Don’t auto level, just bring the landing gear down to stabilize, disconnect your truck electrical, and haves great night. You should be fine.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The main reason to level is so the RV fridge will operate properly. If you don't have an RV fridge, you're good to go with whatever out-of-level you end up with.
    If you have an RV fridge, you need to be level. If you are out of level front to back, you'll need to unhitch and level. Sometimes the sites will cooperate and sometimes
    not. The RV fridge won't explode of course, but the effects are cumulative. So if you do it a lot...
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Redapple63 View Post
    Hi Larry,

I see no reason why you can’t stay connected for a night. You got the formula right. Don’t auto level, just bring the landing gear down to stabilize, disconnect your truck electrical, and haves great night. You should be fine.
    Thinking back on it I dont think we unhooked the trucks electrical when we had the travel trailer. I will write this down on my check list.
    Larry & Deb
    2022 Reflection 337 RLS
    2021 F350 Lariat SRW
    Eastern Ks.

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    Thinking back on it I dont think we unhooked the trucks electrical when we had the travel trailer. I will write this down on my check list.
    I guess it depends on whether or not you have hookups. Not so important if no shore power, but if you do, you definitely want to disconnect your truck.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When we are on the road, we frequent plenty of nights without unhooking. We use a couple blocks / legos if needed to get the side to side close and sometimes I need to put a couple under the rear truck wheels to raise the front just enough without using any landing gear or anything from the trailer. we usually are pretty close and close enough not to worry about fridge, slides etc. We also use the leveling bubble on the front of the hitch so I can watch in the mirror while driving in the area a bit, that gets it pretty close, also works well to get pretty close before unhooking at camp spots as well. just do it, enjoy and move on in the morning.
    Jeff & Karen
    Peoria, Arizona

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on make/model/year of manufacture, some trucks will allow the trailer battery to draw from the tow battery when the ignition is off. If it draws down too much you may get
    low enough voltage the tow vehicle may not start. Pretty unlikely with an overnight, but something to remember. We always unplug the truck when stopped overnight, even when we
    don't unhitch.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Relating to the fridge issue; Is the fridge running on propane while traveling an issue?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not for me, but some people think otherwise. There are proponents of both viewpoints. But it does need to be shut off in some tunnels, ferries, etc.
    And if you're using a gasser tow vehicle you should be aware of the flame while gassing up. I've never heard of a fridge flame setting a gas station on
    fire, but perhaps better safe than sorry.
    Howard and Peggy

Mentioned
    27 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jstchilln View Post
    We just made a quick decision to take the new 337RLS to Colorado for a week and one of the nights I want to stay hooked up for an early departure. We had an Imagine 2670 and we did the same a few times at sites that were fairly level and all I had to do was add a couple of blocks and level from side to side. Luckily front to back at all the sites we stayed at were very close to level.
    We have used the new Reflection and stayed in it for a week and loved it and have practiced hooking and un hooking several times but the idea of staying hooked up with a 5th wheel gives me a few questions.
    Side by side is no problem but if I am hooked up and low in the front how will I level the 5'r if I'm hooked up? If I am low in the back I assume I would block up the rear tires but what about being low in the front?
    Also, the 337 has auto level and I wouldnt want to use auto level while hooked up but do I manually bring the stabilizers down and just touch the ground?

Any help will be appreciated, we love the 5th wheel but after being comfortable in the travel trailer we have another learning curve to adjust to.
    When we've stayed hooked up for one night stops, we just (manually) lower the jacks just enough to rest on the ground. You don't take too much load off the truck.

If you're not level enough hitched up that you can "live with it", you'll need to unhitch to make it level.

2017 Reflection 26RL "Mili"
    2016 Ford F250 Extended Cab Gas Engine "Buck" (the truck)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast