Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: RV Usage

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

RV Usage

Just curious how much everyone uses their RV that are not full timers and have a job that they can not do from the RV. We are coming up on one year, we spent 64 nights in it so far and I towed it about 15,000 miles. So far we have never stayed in the same campground twice, of course we have stayed multiple nights in one visit. Thinking about year two and my only constraints is how much vacation we have and the great distance some bucket list destinations are (like Alaska). So right now i could see more trips in year two, but at some point we may better off selling and renting either RV or cabins wherever we go. Renting right now seems like paying for golf somewhere else when you have unlimited golf in your subdivision.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    First , we average 60+nights a year except for 2020 , which was a bit less due to COVID. I did join my wife in retirement recently so hope to travel more now. Secondly, I do think for the vast majority of folks , an RV is probably not always the most economical way to vacation. Consider the initial cost of the RV , tow vehicle, and outfitting. Add in fuel costs , campgrounds , repairs and maintenance. Then upgrading. It’s endless. There is something to be said for a B&B and heading home unencumbered. I do feel the RV experience is different though , and cost / work / whatever - I will continue to travel this way as long as I can.
    Charlie
    Vickie & Charlie
    2019 310GK-R
    2020 RAM Longhorn DRW Cummins /Aisin

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    64 days is real good in my book. We're not even close to that but then again, it's weird times with Covid. CG in our area only open en of June due to Covid and my work has also been a lot more demanding and longer hours due to this virus. When we toured Newfounland, we decided to fly over, rent a car and do B&B. Out of 14 places we stayed at, 3 were infested with bed bugs. Not a pleasant experience. In some places, we had a real hard time to find a place to eat. 2 in particular we had to resort to sandwiches out of the corner store. And B&B and car rentals aren't cheap anymore. I do agree that RV traveling is not cheap either but, it's my bed and bath and I have a kitchen. Oh and no bugs lol. But I can't bring the RV to Hawaii either though. Well, not at a reasonable cost that is. In a couple of years, I plan on changing functions where it will permit me to work remotely, hopefully by then StarLink will be mobile. There's so many places to visit and my job is getting in the way. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    64 days is real good in my book. We're not even close to that but then again, it's weird times with Covid. CG in our area only open en of June due to Covid and my work has also been a lot more demanding and longer hours due to this virus. When we toured Newfounland, we decided to fly over, rent a car and do B&B. Out of 14 places we stayed at, 3 were infested with bed bugs. Not a pleasant experience. In some places, we had a real hard time to find a place to eat. 2 in particular we had to resort to sandwiches out of the corner store. And B&B and car rentals aren't cheap anymore. I do agree that RV traveling is not cheap either but, it's my bed and bath and I have a kitchen. Oh and no bugs lol. But I can't bring the RV to Hawaii either though. Well, not at a reasonable cost that is. In a couple of years, I plan on changing functions where it will permit me to work remotely, hopefully by then StarLink will be mobile. There's so many places to visit and my job is getting in the way. Lol

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Wow I had not considered having trouble finding nice places to stay and places to eat! But you are right even without Covid the choices in the big National Parks are pretty thin. On our last trip out west my worst meal was at Carlsbad Cavern NP restaurant. My best meal was made by my wife on the Blackstone. We even keep ice cream in the rig.
    2020 Reflection 150 240RL
    2020 F250 XLT 7.3L Godzilla
    Curt A20 hitch with turning point locked
    Westinghouse igen4500 LIFEPO4 280ah 3.2v cells

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We average about 30 days a year. This is our first year with the 5th wheel. I have in-laws with a lake place and we like spending time out on the lake. Next year we will start camping earlier. I’m hoping 45 or more days. Retirement is about 3 years away. Then we might be ought for a few months.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I retire in three weeks. We have 15 nights planned in the next 4 weeks. We usually average about 40 to 50 nights per year while I was working full time.
    Geoff and Cheri
    2011 F250 CC 6.7L
    Firestone Ride Rite Airbags
    Pull Rite 16k SuperGlide
    2018 Reflection 303RLS, Build date 9/2017
    USMC-Retired
    Thin Blue Line - Retired

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just starting our second year. Year 1 total was 64 days. Mary works 3 days a week when we travel (I’m retired). Our limiting factor is 11 grandchildren. Soccer, baseball, and basketball games, dance recitals, School pageants. But we will be doing this for the next 3 to 5 years. My job involved a fair amount of international travel. We tried to tack on personal time to these trips. We came to realize when I wound down my work commitments that we have seen more of the world than our own country. That is why we are RV’ers.
    John & Mary
    2019 Solitude 375RES
    2016 RAM 3500 Longhorn Limited - Mega Cab; 6.7L Cummins; SB; DRW; 4X4; Aisin; 4.10
    Curt A20 Slider

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have used my trailer for seven weeks since I picked it up in late May. In a couple of weeks, I will be headed to visit my daughters, and wanted to take the trailer, but couldn't find a campsite near them for the length of time I will be with them. Looks like I will be just doing the hotel thing. Bit of a bummer, and the trip I am on right now with the trailer may end up being the last for the season.
    2023 Chevy 3500HD CC SB 4x4 Dmax
    2021 GD 320G with 8K axles

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We try and use it at minimum of 6 times a year, we have had our 230rl for three years now and got over 20k miles from the Mississippi River to Nevada to Montana……and another trip scheduled this year which will be around 3000 miles total

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wife and I bought our 5er back in 2018 and typically go on 4 - 5 trips a year. Usually we get in about 40 days a year, which breaks down to a couple of 7 day trips, 14 day trip and several 3 day local trips. We enjoy the long trips cause thats when we are usually visiting states and campgrounds that we havent been to yet. Plus we like the suttleness of being in an area for awhile and not have to deal with pulling our 5er thru traffic. We tend to use our last trip of the year to winterize our 5er prior storing it for the winter. Again, trying out new campgrounds in the process.

Our goal is to eventually be full timers when we retire in the next year or two, but alot of that depends on the logistics (as mentioned) of costs of RVing. Also, the other thing we have noticed these last few years (been doing some form of camping since '90s) is the social climate of those who are now taking up RVing since COVID. One of our concerns is that campgrounds are becomming more like resorts for those who like to RVcation year round and/or store their rigs. This in and of itself isn't neccessarily bad, but tends to make it seem more like a condo or city neighborhood atmosphere where people are less social. Seems like a big social change from what it was back in the day prior to COVID with active RVers.

So, we will continue to take our 40 or so days a year and enjoy our 5er traveling ariound the country visiting the states. But would like to see some of the old days of camping come back ariound which might help us in our decision to go full time. Meeting and talking to folks who really like to RV and travel, instead of just staying in a condo is what we enjoyed in the past.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast