Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Battery Drain

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Battery Drain

Our Reflection has been parked and not in use for about a month. The 110 was not connected and Sunday I checked and the battery was dead. I plugged in the 110. Last night the indicator show battery full so I unplugged the 110. Tonight the battery had discharged 25%. I cant find anything that is turned on. I didn't have the battery disconnected. I have never had this problem before on any other RV's. Obviously there is something draining the battery. I can disconnect the battery but does anyone have an idea what might be draining it?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    beef56 - there are several 12-volt lines that will remain hot when shore power is cut, although only one should be pulling constant power from the battery that I can think of right away, that being the CO/LP detector/alarm. It is straight wired to the battery on mine. If your battery has discharged 25% in 24-hrs with nothing on, after a full charge then you may have a damaged cell. You might check to be sure all cells have water and check it with a good ohm/multi meter.
    2018 GD Reflections 337RLS, 2021 Ram 3500 Cummins 4x4 CC w/auto level dually, TrailAir pinbox, B&W Companion hitch, Fold-A-Cover Tonneau

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe the converter is always drawing power also. Only way to slow the draining is rouse the battery disconnect switch.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My owner's manual says to disconnect the battery during storage as the battery disconnect switch doesn't kill all the circuits. Draining a battery completely can be fatal to the battery. Maybe find a battery retailer that can do an equalization charge for you which can remove sulfation from the plates and restore some battery capacity. Good luck.

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by beef56 View Post
    Our Reflection has been parked and not in use for about a month. The 110 was not connected and Sunday I checked and the battery was dead. I plugged in the 110. Last night the indicator show battery full so I unplugged the 110. Tonight the battery had discharged 25%. I cant find anything that is turned on. I didn't have the battery disconnected. I have never had this problem before on any other RV's. Obviously there is something draining the battery. I can disconnect the battery but does anyone have an idea what might be draining it?
    If I read this correctly, you checked battery level while plugged in? If so, my battery levels always show full when plugged in (they are being charged) so I unplug for true battery level.

I'm thinking you didn't get a full charge.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also keep in mind that for an accurate indication of state of charge the battery must sit for 24 hours with neither a charge nor a drain on it. Otherwise it may show more capacity than you actually have. I don't know the output of the chargers on our Grand Designs but for a reasonable recharge time the charger should have an output of at least 25% of usable battery capacity.

Jim

Jannnan
    Don't know what kind of battery you have but mine came with an Interstate and it's a piece of junk, I'll be changing it to an Excide from Camping World real soon.

Steve and Lynne
    Coming from an auto repair shop where we sold Interstates almost exclusively, I have noted that their failure rate has increased somewhat in the last few years. However they have many, many vendors across the country, both service operations and stand-alone stores, so warranty replacement is readily available wherever you are, similar to Exide. Interstate has a simple and generous pro-rating policy for their warranty adjustments. We put two Interstates in our Ram diesel last January, and I had to replace one in the Dallas area in March. We also had to get our Interstate replaced in our Reflection in April at N/C. Both Exide and Interstate do not build their own batteries, very few manufacturers left.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I two have noticed a decline in Interstate quality on my truck. With two batteries it really sucks, because the bad battery will kill the good one. That being said, Interstate/Interstate dealers have stood behind the battery and I have had zero issues getting a replacement. So for now, I'll stick with them given their track record of standing behind the product. I've seen many different brands of batteries failing quickly, so this is not limited to an Interstate issue.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had it unplugged from 110 when the battery indicator was 100%. It was plugged in for several days before I unplugged and checked it. I doubt the battery indicator in the RV is 100% accurate either. I know I can use the battery disconnect but I don't feel it should be necessary for only 24 hours. I will load test the battery and yes it is an Interstate battery.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast