Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1st Timer 5th Wheel

We are considering the Reflection 150 Series 240RL. This would be our first 5th wheel so we are looking for pointers and suggestions. A few things I’m wondering about. Do I purchase the hitch setup prior to going to a RV store? What hitch would we looking at with our current truck in the sig—2017 3500 GMC Denali. Is the 90 degree turning radius exclusive to the 150 series? If the 240RL is about 30’ about how much of that would be behind the truck?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Duramax; 09-19-2021 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Hitch not jack…
    Bill & Rachel
    2021 GMC Sierra 3500HD DRW
    2023 Host Everest
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2500RL—( No longer own ).

Mentioned
    189 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would wait until you know which trailer you're going to get to decide on a hitch. The Reflection 150 series have Turning Point pin boxes which are not compatible with some hitches and require an adapter for the ones they'll work with. The next question is whether or not you already have the gooseball/fifth wheel prep in your truck. If so, you'll want to look for a hitch that fits the puck system (or locks to the gooseball) in your model and year of truck. If not, you'll need to decide on whether or not you want to install the under-bed system or industry-standard rails in the bed. Your dealer can advise you on all of this.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can try to answer your questions.
    1. You can purchase the setup and I recommend you do before you pick up your rv. Lots of variables here. Is your truck an 8ft bed? Does it have factory puck system?

2. The hitch your pick for your setup is your choice. I prefer B&W but that’s really a personal choice. If you are asking for options, I’m saying B&W patriot (if you need rails) or Companion if you don’t.
    3. That pinbox is exclusive to the 150 series. It requires a wedge to be installed if you choose to use the turning point feature (the stock one is garbage). You can also lock it out and use any hitch you like with no wedge. There is a list of wedges on the Lippert site to match certain hitches.
    4. The trailer you are referring to is 30’ long. Approx 25’ will be behind your truck.

You will probably not find a dealer who knows very much about the specifics of your truck and your requirements. They sell RVs. Most do not care about anything other than getting them off of their lot. The good news is that you have plenty of truck. If you choose a 150 series and you have an 8 foot bed. You don’t need to do anything other than hitch up and go. Lock that pinbox out and drive. I use my turning point hitch. It has been good so far. It is fickle to hitch up with. You need to be dead straight. Other than that it has been great. No busted back windows for me

And if people on here talk about never needing the turn radius. They are full of it. I just watched someone bust their window out a few weeks ago. You never know what situation you’ll be in. All it takes is a tree or car to get around and boom. You went too far.