Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Location Ideas for Inverter and Lithium Batteries in Reflection Fifth-Wheel

We have on order a Victron Multiplus II and Victron Lynx Power In. We have in hand (2), 200 amp Ampere Time lithium batteries. We still need to order cables, lugs, cut-off switch, etc. We are waiting on ordering those items until we come up with the best place to locate the major components in our 29RS. After we decide on a location for the inverter and batteries, then we can figure out the correct total length of cable we will need in the various gauges that are involved.

After looking around, the simplest place seems to be the front compartment as that would make it easiest to put the two batteries right next to the inverter. I removed the panels in the pass-thru compartment, but that area looked like some major rearranging would be required to get both the batteries and inverter mounted there.

What location has worked best for those of your who have installed a system that includes these components?
    2017 Reflection 29 RS
    2003 F350 Supercab V10 Longbed
    Pullrite Superlite (like Anderson)

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2020 Reflection 295RL. When the battery company replaced the standard battiery, with lithium batteries, and installed the Victron Multiplus II 3000w inverter, I thought they were very clever in where they placed them They removed the back wall of the passthrough and attached the Multiplus, a Solar Controller, shunt etc, and 2 lithium batteries to the flloor in the "deadspace". Everything is close together meaning no long cable runs. They installed the Inverter control panel and the Victron 712 battery moniter on the side of the hutch panel facing the door, easily accessible when turning the inverter on or off, morning or night.

They then re-installied the back panl creating a very hidden clean install No passthrough storage was lost, I even gained storage in the front compartment from the factory battery and box being taken out. The factory installed battery shut off is still working

They did warn me though that there was maybe enough room for a 3rd battery in the future, but not much else.

Hope this helps !!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes. That helps and that is what I would like to do. However, I removed the panels in the pass-thru and saw a jumble of wires and hoses. So I figured there was not enough room or slack in the hoses and cables to create space for the components. Was your factory converter removed completely? That would create a bit of space. Of course, a picture of the set-up would be great. But I understand that you don't want to crawl in there and remove panels to take pictures. Did you happen to take any pictures before the panels were put back into place?
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, each of our lithium batteries are 200 amp hours and the dimensions of each battery are 9 inches wide by 20 inches long. If you have two, 100 amp batteries, then the footprint of your batteries requires only half as much space as will the footprint of our batteries. Based on your comment about space for additional batteries, we may already have too much stuff to follow your install location for all of the pieces.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I installed 8 Battle Born batteries above the generator compartment. I could put 2 more there if I want more later
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Some answers to the points you raised. Yes, my 2 Battleborn lithium batteries are 100 am hr each. As you saiid a mucjh smaller footprint than your 200 am hr. Also they completely removed the factory converter as it could not handle lithium, plus the Multiplus II handles everything that much better. I can see exatly what the battery state is on my phone from the Victron App. As regards pictures I will take off the back panel wall and take a few pictures tomorrow

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by SNye45 View Post
    Some answers to the points you raised. Yes, my 2 Battleborn lithium batteries are 100 am hr each. As you saiid a mucjh smaller footprint than your 200 am hr. Also they completely removed the factory converter as it could not handle lithium, plus the Multiplus II handles everything that much better. I can see exatly what the battery state is on my phone from the Victron App. As regards pictures I will take off the back panel wall and take a few pictures tomorrow
    Great. Thanks. I would love to make the pass-thru location work. I am reading some other threads about folks that have located inverter/batteries in the under bed storage. Either the pass-thru or the under bed area offers a warmer environment than the front compartment as far as dealing with the 32 degree charging cut-off for the lithium batteries. We tend to stay out the cold for camping, but you never know what sort of unexpected weather conditions you may end up in.
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post
    I installed 8 Battle Born batteries above the generator compartment. I could put 2 more there if I want more later
    Did you do something extra to shore up the generator compartment for the amount of weight you loaded on top?
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by my12by60 View Post
    Did you do something extra to shore up the generator compartment for the amount of weight you loaded on top?

I got the idea from a "Changing Lanes" you tube video of his install. 10 Battle Born Batteries on top of his generator compartment. He reinforced his by laying four 2x4s on it, and screwing them into it.

I did not think that was sufficient. That compartment is pretty thin steel likely 16 Gauge or less, and being open in the front, not very strong there.
    So I made a battery rack out of 2x2" X 3/16" aluminum angle. It sits about 1/16" above the compartment but doesn't put any pressure on it at all. The rack is screwed into two frame members on the drivers side giving it both vertical and horizontal strength. The passenger side has two vertical supports to the floor, bolted to another angle aluminum attached to the floor to spread the load. I could do chinups on this thing. It is rock solid

I do not have the ability to post pics here or I would. I am pretty proud of it.

On a related note. After doing my install, I went back and viewed CLs video again... In spite of all of the comments about how tight a space he was working in, I noticed that he had a lot more room that I had... Then I realized why. His momentum is a drop frame model which makes that area 10" taller that my 398Ms. I gained about 1-3/8" of room by using the angle vs the 2x4s, but it was still very tight. My design made it possible, as I could wire them up as I slid them into their aluminum angle tracks. Just keep pushing one battery against another.

A side benefit of this install is the anti theft function. It is doubtful a thief would make an attempt to steal them.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by huntindog View Post

I got the idea from a "Changing Lanes" you tube video of his install. 10 Battle Born Batteries on top of his generator compartment. He reinforced his by laying four 2x4s on it, and screwing them into it.

I did not think that was sufficient. That compartment is pretty thin steel likely 16 Gauge or less, and being open in the front, not very strong there.
    So I made a battery rack out of 2x2" X 3/16" aluminum angle. It sits about 1/16" above the compartment but doesn't put any pressure on it at all. The rack is screwed into two frame members on the drivers side giving it both vertical and horizontal strength. The passenger side has two vertical supports to the floor, bolted to another angle aluminum attached to the floor to spread the load. I could do chinups on this thing. It is rock solid

I do not have the ability to post pics here or I would. I am pretty proud of it.

On a related note. After doing my install, I went back and viewed CLs video again... In spite of all of the comments about how tight a space he was working in, I noticed that he had a lot more room that I had... Then I realized why. His momentum is a drop frame model which makes that area 10" taller that my 398Ms. I gained about 1-3/8" of room by using the angle vs the 2x4s, but it was still very tight. My design made it possible, as I could wire them up as I slid them into their aluminum angle tracks. Just keep pushing one battery against another.

A side benefit of this install is the anti theft function. It is doubtful a thief would make an attempt to steal them.
    The custom rack sounds pretty cool. So does 1,000 amp hours of Battleborn batteries. Do you have a bunch of solar panels to go with the big battery bank? Have you had any issues with the temperature in the front compartment limiting your ability to get a charge into the batteries?
    2017 Reflection 29 RS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast