User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Mouse Door in Slide Corners

Thought I'd share something I realized yesterday. I posted a question about seeing daylight from inside the RV at the corners of my slide. Good tip was to use brass wool to plug the opening around the wire (in the grommet where the wire passes through). That worked great. But I could still see faint light in that space, but not from the grommet.

Upon inspection from the exterior at the corners where that wire and grommet are located, there is an opening behind the black foam piece. So while the wool covers the grommet, it doesn't do anything for the opening that would allow mice to just bypass the wire grommet altogether. I used foam pieces I had from a shipping box for my lithium battery, and cut them to fit snuggly behind the existing foam and used some gorilla tape to secure it. In case anyone was interested in checking their setup...
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You really shouldn't see light coming through. It sounds like the seal was cut a little short.
    Send GD Pictures along with a warranty inquiry. They may send the seal right to you and if you're handy you can replace the seal yourself instead of waiting for the dealer
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by WhittleBurner View Post
    You really shouldn't see light coming through. It sounds like the seal was cut a little short.
    Send GD Pictures along with a warranty inquiry. They may send the seal right to you and if you're handy you can replace the seal yourself instead of waiting for the dealer
    Thanks. I can't speak for all GD models but it seems pretty common for the Imagines based on this forum and the units we toured before purchasing. And it is clearly the design, not a issue with specific units. I've fixed mine already, just shared in case anyone else who "sees the light" wants to take a closer look at theirs.
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I can see the light in my 2021 GD Imagine 22mle

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I see light in my Reflection 295RL slide corners. Had also used Gorilla tape to "correct" the situation upto a point.... But, where the side and lower slide gaskets meet, there can still be a noticeable hole when it is extended out. This ALSO appears to me to be a design issue.... Our '94 Jayco TT had a better seal on the slide..... more of a "O" style casket around the trailer wall opening that appeared to do a better job...... But, was also so good that when slide retracted and extended, eventually pulled itself away from the opening and had to be replaced.

Another area I noticed to be a possible weak spot is the sealing fabric used on the underside between the frame and trailer wall. Mine became loose to the touch with small tear. I got Gorilla tape and just covered it all up. No problems since.

I also plan on attaching some diamond back steel in the areas above the wheels to protect the weak fabric undercoating and floor incase of a blowout. Have seen the damage done by a blowout before..... its costly if floor damage was done. A fender is much cheaper to replace!

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trailrydr View Post
    I see light in my Reflection 295RL slide corners. Had also used Gorilla tape to "correct" the situation upto a point.... But, where the side and lower slide gaskets meet, there can still be a noticeable hole when it is extended out. This ALSO appears to me to be a design issue.... Our '94 Jayco TT had a better seal on the slide..... more of a "O" style casket around the trailer wall opening that appeared to do a better job...... But, was also so good that when slide retracted and extended, eventually pulled itself away from the opening and had to be replaced.

Another area I noticed to be a possible weak spot is the sealing fabric used on the underside between the frame and trailer wall. Mine became loose to the touch with small tear. I got Gorilla tape and just covered it all up. No problems since.

I also plan on attaching some diamond back steel in the areas above the wheels to protect the weak fabric undercoating and floor incase of a blowout. Have seen the damage done by a blowout before..... its costly if floor damage was done. A fender is much cheaper to replace!
    Interesting idea on the wheel well. We did have damage from a tire blowout on a previous motorhome. I'll have to look at beefing up that area on mine too.
    Chad

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the tip.
    I hate rodent invasions. A previous posted tip to use mint spray as a deterrent is a good one. I bought a gallon with a spray attachment for $35 which is very cheap insurance.
    https://www.amazon.com/Mighty-Mint-R.../dp/B07TPBQSVP
    Last edited by Pacific Fisher; 09-22-2021 at 06:06 PM.
    2022 Soulitude 310 GK Disc Brakes, Solar, Onan LP
    2021 F350 CC LB 7.3 Godzilla, 430 Gears, B&W Companion, Morryde Pin Box, Garmin 890 RV GPS

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We also have tried pepermint spray on our landing gear and tire surrounding areas. It did not seem to help with our mouse issue we encountered a few years ago--- they still got in!

So.... We deployed the age old snap-the-neck mouse traps in the storage areas with high quality deli cheese and peanut butter and that did the trick!. NO MORE MICE (killed some of course)!! Since then, we still deploy set traps, and have not had another encounter since.

Note: We also purchased and deployed plastic sealed soap dishes(Dollar General) that I drilled 10 or so holes in the top of each box. Placed a fresh bar of Irish Spring into each and placed them throughtout the trailer (with double stick tape on the bottom of the boxes - prevent sliding around when towing) in the cargo/storage holds, behind toilet in batroom, basement area (air return under floor), and interior food pantry closet floor. Apparently these work like the dryer sheet concept that we have used in our offroad Jeep for years which have been fairly succesful over the 24 years we have been storing our Jeep TJ in our garage/barn when not 4wheeling.

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 2020 GD Transcend Xplor RB221. When we purchased it last year, we noted about seeing daylight through the bottom corner of the slide. Obviously a design flaw. We don't see it when the slide is open, only when closed. We stuffed a bar of Irish Spring wrapped in steel wool in the opening. No problems until this month. Now we found water has come in from the top corner of the slide. This is our 3rd travel trailer, having downsized last year, and the quality is by far the worst.
    Don, Laura and our Roo

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll have to look for mouse access when I get my 22rbe soon. But what stops a mouse? I recently had my new and expensive Sunbrella boat cover sitting in my barn on a trailer. When I went to put the cover back on my boat I found a mouse next with two baby mice and the nest was made from the fibers of my heavy duty Sunbrella cover. I had three holes one being 5"x6". If they can make a nest out of heavy Sunbrella will foam or guerilla tape stop them? Mice commonly chew the insulation off of electrical wires. That why you need to get them out of your house quickly if you detect one.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast