2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Questions about semi-portable solar set up

Hey everybody,

I'm finally making good strides with my solar set up. Here's a summary:
    - 2 100Ah AGM battteries connected in parallel
    - 6 gauge leads to SmartSolar 100|50 charge controller
    - 50 ft of 10 gauge to run to solar panels (closest spot with almost full sun for the whole day)

While we're at the trailer, i'm leaving the panels out. But, when gone for the week, i'd like to keep the panels near the trailer (a worry maybe not warranted)

So, i'm gathering the cables, move the panels, and do the opposite when we get back on the weekends.

What's the best way to not get wear on the cables, and perhaps the solar panel stands? Right now i'm using the 4x 25W HarborFreight panels, but waiting in the wings are 4x100W proper monocrystalline panels, all will add a bit more to the work i have to do.

Should I perhaps run both cables through a garden hose or something, so that it rolls up a bit nicer? It will probably also help with being less of a tripping hazard, or even protect against critters nibbling on things.

Any ideas?
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not sure what your cable is. I have welding cable that is oil and UV resistant with a real heavy covering. Its made for pretty heavy abuse but I am careful when I move my panels around of course and never drive over them. I'm not a full timer but spend a couple of months in the southwest each spring. So far no real wear after 5 years.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's proper solar cable, double-sheathed, difficult to strip i can tell you that :-)

Good to hear, so i should not overthink it, just keep it out of the way of any traffic.
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.