User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How to know when parallel batteries are fully charged using Charge Controller

Hey,

I'm using a Victron 100|50 charge controller to charge my parallel-ed 100Ah batteries.

Reading the manual about to what levels to charge for bulk, absorption and float, would i keep those numbers when charging both batteries in parallel?

Also, if the charge controller doesn't 'reach' those levels, is that because the solar panels i currently use do not put out enough power to get to that voltage?

Thanks,

Roland
    2021 Grand Design Imagine 2610ML, 2015 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland EcoDiesel
    e2 trunnion hitch and Curt 7-pin brake controller
    Victron SmartSolar 100|50 -- 2x UB121000 100ah -- 4x100W panels
    Always boondocking. No post, no facilities.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Voltages are the same as a single battery when charging parallel batteries. It will take more power to reach the voltage levels, so current needed for the same charge rate will double.

One small point that comes into play with simple chargers is determining charge state based on current draw. It’s common to say a battery is charged when draw hits 1A, but with parallel batteries you can end up charging them pretty hard to get there because you are actually charging until each battery hits 0.5A. You can use more water in that case.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, in this case the 4x25W panels would generate about 45W at peak; so i'm sure the charging of these batteries will go faster and further/deeper when i install the other panels.

Thanks!

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NICE - installed the 2x100w (in series) and the 4x25w (parallel), then used a combiner cord to connect those to the main wires going to the charge controller. Wow. Finally, even with a weak sun, and some shade here and there, the batteries looked to be charged fully. I have 2 more 100w panels waiting to go up to the trailer, i guess i'm ready to start thinking about installing an inverter to use all that energy :-)

And yes, that was just it- needed wore wattage, so the controller could properly push the batteries beyond just bulk charging.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you don't have a shunt in your system... highly recommend a Victron shunt to monitor your batteries and power draw/charge. I put in the Victron SmartShunt which is strictly bluetooth via the Victron app. The BMV-712 has a readout you can mount as well as bluetooth.
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax