Likes Likes:  0

Thread: Balding tires

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Balding tires

I have a 2018 2500 rl and have noticed both tires on rear axle are balding badly, only on the inside of tire. I am not sure where to go next. I have noticed that the axle is rated for 3500 and the GVWR is 7495. Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
    Bill and Sandy Omaha Nebraska
    2018 Ford 150 3.5 Ecoboost Max tow
    2018 Imagine 2500 rl

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The actual weight carried on the axles will be the GVW minus the tongue weight, so you're probably under the 7,000 lb. rating for your axles. But it does sound like the rear axles is
    either bent or mis-aligned, with bent being more likely consider the type of tire wear. Best bet would be to head to a trailer, not an RV, shop and have it checked out.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with avoiding the rv dealers, way to backed up and I have not had good experience's with them. Have a call into a place that does axle repair on trailers. Not sure how a misaligned axle would cause the tires to bald on the inside on both tires.
    You are right about taking off tongue weight, but if the axle is bad I will probably upgrade axle.

Thanks for the reply.
    Bill and Sandy Omaha Nebraska
    2018 Ford 150 3.5 Ecoboost Max tow
    2018 Imagine 2500 rl

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Most of these trailers, of any brand, come with just enough axle capacity many times, so upgrading axles is, IMO, a good idea.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The early 2600RB had undersized axles - same 3500#as your trailer, the bent axle was common until GDRV upgraded to 4000# axles. I recall reading that inside tire wear was common with that bent axle situation. I looked but could not find the link. Chances are it is just one axle when you see the tire wear you describe.
    Judy & Larry
    Ty and Ali the St Bernard drool machines
    Delta, British Columbia, GWN
    2019 Imagine 2150RB - lovingly christened “IM-A-GENE” towed by Dusty via Andersen 3350.
    2018 F150 SCREW 3.5 EcoBoost Lariat - respectfully christened “Dusty”.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by willybuger View Post
    I agree with avoiding the rv dealers, way to backed up and I have not had good experience's with them. Have a call into a place that does axle repair on trailers. Not sure how a misaligned axle would cause the tires to bald on the inside on both tires.
    You are right about taking off tongue weight, but if the axle is bad I will probably upgrade axle.

Thanks for the reply.
    The axle has lost its camber. When it does, the spindles are no longer parallel to the road causing negative wheel camber. Said another way, the weight on the axle is being supported by the inside edge of the tires. Don't bother trying to have the axle re-cambered. It won't keep. A new axle is in order.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm pretty sure in 2019 or around that time GD switched from a 2 3/8" axle beam to a 3" axle beam on the 2500RL. That 3" beam is used in much heavier applications (but other parts of the axle are still limited such as the hubs and springs). I'm sure there is a reason they switched...
    2020 imagine 2500rl; 2021 F250 Tremor 7.3
    youtube: @bobanddangsjourney