User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Solar panels extending over edge of roof

Greetings and thanks in advance for any advice we can get as this is our first trailer. We live off grid so are very familiar with solar systems but have never installed one on a trailer. We are getting ready to order the components for the trailer's solar system and determining the size of the various components. First job it to determine how many panels will fit on the roof and what the maximum output in watts could be. The panels we are currently planning to use are 320 watts each and measure about 65.5"x39.5". We can get up to 8 panels installed if we can overhang the edge of the roof a bit in places. If we have to live with no overhang then the number of panels decreases to 4. So it would be very helpful if we are able to accept some over hang.

The first potential overhang would be the front end cap. We can fit two panels in front of the AC and in middle of the roof it they can stick out 7 inches past the roof seam where the front cap starts. The front cap extends much farther than 7 inches and does not descend more than 1-1/2" at the 7" mark. So this would be the first overhang question mark. Would a properly secured panel get too much lift/drag in that position? If this is not acceptable we could move the panels to the left and right side of the AC if we can accept the long edge of the panel overhanging the roof about 2 inches.

This same overhang would apply to a couple of other panels. The second and third panels would be on the side of the trailer to the front of and along the side the rear AC. At this location the long edge of the panels would overhang the edge of the roof about 2 inches. So would an overhang of up to 2 inches in this location pose any issues?

Lastly, at the back where the roof ladder is located we can fit two panels to the side of the ladder if the second panel is allowed to overhang the roof by 4.5". While this seems like a lot more I noticed the the overhang of the retracted awning is 5 inches. So the panel would overhang a bit less than the 5" protrusion of the retracted awning.

As mentioned above just the 2 inch overhang gets us 3 more panels and if that larger 4.5" overhang would be ok we can get to a total of 4 panels more which would significantly increase our potential watts. I've searched the various forums and threads for this topic without success so apologies if I have missed a previous thread on this topic. Again, many thanks for and advice and wisdom from the group. Thanks, Jack

PS. I see our signature contains little information. Our trailer is a 2018 344GK with two AC units. Hope this is helpful.
    Last edited by Jmax99; 09-21-2021 at 04:07 PM. Reason: Forgot info on trailer
    Jack & Sue McFarland
    2018 Solitude 344-GK
    2017 F350 Long Bed
    Montana

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Please explain why you need over 2500 watts on the roof. What type of batteries are you going with and how many? I'm curious as I expect others are.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Mentioned
    33 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmax99 View Post
    Greetings and thanks in advance for any advice we can get as this is our first trailer. We live off grid so are very familiar with solar systems but have never installed one on a trailer. We are getting ready to order the components for the trailer's solar system and determining the size of the various components. First job it to determine how many panels will fit on the roof and what the maximum output in watts could be. The panels we are currently planning to use are 320 watts each and measure about 65.5"x39.5". We can get up to 8 panels installed if we can overhang the edge of the roof a bit in places. If we have to live with no overhang then the number of panels decreases to 4. So it would be very helpful if we are able to accept some over hang.

The first potential overhang would be the front end cap. We can fit two panels in front of the AC and in middle of the roof it they can stick out 7 inches past the roof seam where the front cap starts. The front cap extends much farther than 7 inches and does not descend more than 1-1/2" at the 7" mark. So this would be the first overhang question mark. Would a properly secured panel get too much lift/drag in that position? If this is not acceptable we could move the panels to the left and right side of the AC if we can accept the long edge of the panel overhanging the roof about 2 inches.

This same overhang would apply to a couple of other panels. The second and third panels would be on the side of the trailer to the front of and along the side the rear AC. At this location the long edge of the panels would overhang the edge of the roof about 2 inches. So would an overhang of up to 2 inches in this location pose any issues?

Lastly, at the back where the roof ladder is located we can fit two panels to the side of the ladder if the second panel is allowed to overhang the roof by 4.5". While this seems like a lot more I noticed the the overhang of the retracted awning is 5 inches. So the panel would overhang a bit less than the 5" protrusion of the retracted awning.

As mentioned above just the 2 inch overhang gets us 3 more panels and if that larger 4.5" overhang would be ok we can get to a total of 4 panels more which would significantly increase our potential watts. I've searched the various forums and threads for this topic without success so apologies if I have missed a previous thread on this topic. Again, many thanks for and advice and wisdom from the group. Thanks, Jack

PS. I see our signature contains little information. Our trailer is a 2018 344GK with two AC units. Hope this is helpful.
    Try this: Drive on the highway at 65 MPH. Put your hand out the window, and see how much force the wind impacts on it.
    Then imagine how much more it would be if you were driving into a 40 MPH headwind. Then decide if you want to risk it.
    2021 398M Full Body Paint 8k axles. LRH tires. Disc brakes.
    Two bathrooms, no waiting 155 fresh, 104 black, 104 grey 1860 watts solar.
    800AH BattleBorn Batteries No campgrounds 100% boondocking
    2020 Silverado High Country 3500 dually crewcab Duramax Allison

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @ Jmax99

Not sure that the 2" on the sides would be a problem... For the front 1½" difference to the roof could you pop rivet an aluminum baffle/wind deflector across those panels that would extend down tight against the roof to prevent lift on the panels? You could also do the same thing on the sides, figuring out the height difference underneath the panel an inch or two back from the roofs edge and then attach an aluminum angle to keep the windlift out.

Two years ago while dry camping at the Daytona 500 there was a guy across from us in an older 5th wheel that had solar panels that stuck out a good 12" on each side. I found out from him that his panels hinged together and folded back in on top of each other while he traveled. This limited the number of panels exposed to sunlight while driving to recharge his batteries but according to him it wasn't a problem.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for some of the suggestions and questions above. After doing some more work on the numbers I think that we can actually be well served by six panels and keep our overall system smaller. With six panels I can get by with just two panels that might overhang the roof by 1.5 to 2" along the side. This avoids the wind drag on any panels overhanging in the front which everyone agrees would cause problems without a wind deflector of some kind. So I believe this could be a workable number of panels. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know as I'm still in design process and have not yet ordered the components.

As I did the sizing calcs on the smaller system I spent more time on the question of the Victron Multiplus II and if the 3,000 watts would be enough to power one of the AC units. If it were not for the AC units I see no issue with a single Multiplus II. However, if I want to run just one of the AC units it seems I might have to get 2 inverters? I found the data sheet on the Coleman Mack Mach 15 units (model 48254C869) which shows 1600 running watts. I can not tell though if the unit has a soft start feature. Does anyone have experience on whether just the one Multiplus would be sufficient to run one of the air conditioners? We would plan to run it mostly during the day when excess solar should be available. Thanks again for all the expert advice!
    Jack & Sue McFarland
    2018 Solitude 344-GK
    2017 F350 Long Bed
    Montana

Seasoned Camper more tired since retired's Avatar
    southern Georgia, where gnats rule the world
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From experience, the Mach 15 does not have a soft start. I went with the Micro-Air and can run with a 2kw inverter/generator.
    2020 F-250 XLT SuperCrew 7.3L Blue Ox SwayPro, 2020 Imagine 2600RB,
    1600W Solar w/525AH LiFePO4, Victron 3000W, Road Armor w/wet bolt suspension, VisionWork Camera System, Peplink MAX BR1 Pro 5G Mobile Router,MicroAir EasyStart
    Amateur Radio Call N9XGZ FMCA#489460 Escapees SKP#166379

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Jmax99 View Post
    Thanks for some of the suggestions and questions above. After doing some more work on the numbers I think that we can actually be well served by six panels and keep our overall system smaller. With six panels I can get by with just two panels that might overhang the roof by 1.5 to 2" along the side. This avoids the wind drag on any panels overhanging in the front which everyone agrees would cause problems without a wind deflector of some kind. So I believe this could be a workable number of panels. If anyone has other suggestions please let me know as I'm still in design process and have not yet ordered the components.

As I did the sizing calcs on the smaller system I spent more time on the question of the Victron Multiplus II and if the 3,000 watts would be enough to power one of the AC units. If it were not for the AC units I see no issue with a single Multiplus II. However, if I want to run just one of the AC units it seems I might have to get 2 inverters? I found the data sheet on the Coleman Mack Mach 15 units (model 48254C869) which shows 1600 running watts. I can not tell though if the unit has a soft start feature. Does anyone have experience on whether just the one Multiplus would be sufficient to run one of the air conditioners? We would plan to run it mostly during the day when excess solar should be available. Thanks again for all the expert advice!
    Look into the Multiplus 2 X. It handles 3000 watts on a 50 amp service & you can fit 14 200 watt panels on your roof.
    Ray & Flo
    2021 Silverado 3500HD DRW
    2021 Solitude GK345-R
    Morryde IS & Disc Brakes
    Solar System. 8 100 AH Lithium batteries, 12 200 watt panels, Victron 3000 watt inverter, Smart Shunt, Cerbo, & 2 MPPT Charger/Controllers
    Travel 6 months each year

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Micro-Air

Quote Originally Posted by more tired since retired View Post
    From experience, the Mach 15 does not have a soft start. I went with the Micro-Air and can run with a 2kw inverter/generator.
    Thank you for this suggestion. This seems like it will definitely solve the problem and allow me to go with just the one Multiplus II that handles 50amp pass through. They seem to be about $299 each through places like Amazon, etc. It seems you need one for each AC unit. Where did you install them? Up on the roof where electrical enters the compressor box?
    Jack & Sue McFarland
    2018 Solitude 344-GK
    2017 F350 Long Bed
    Montana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by USA in a Chevrolet View Post
    Look into the Multiplus 2 X. It handles 3000 watts on a 50 amp service & you can fit 14 200 watt panels on your roof.
    Dear USA, thanks, I agree. I've asked my supplier about this. The Victron site lists this 2x separately but then the same unit is also listed under the Multiplus II as the first option for 12V-3000 watt system. I suspect they are the same units listed in two places but nevertheless this is exactly what I intend to purchase. Thank you for the recommendation.
    Jack & Sue McFarland
    2018 Solitude 344-GK
    2017 F350 Long Bed
    Montana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Well I found the installation instructions and diagram so now understand you install this on the roof inside the unit.
    Jack & Sue McFarland
    2018 Solitude 344-GK
    2017 F350 Long Bed
    Montana

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast