User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    CSuggs63

Grand Design Solitude vs. Mobile Suite

Good Morning,

New to this forum and have not had time to read all of it yet. My husband and I own a 2003 Mobile Suite which we absolutely love but husband is wanting to upgrade and get a newer
    5th wheel and we have been researching. (Personally, I am good with keeping MS). For various reasons we do not want to get another DRV Mobile Suite due to issues we have had (long story). We saw one of the Grand Design Solitude and wondered about their quality, etc compared to a MS. We know that MS is more of a luxury unit and have priced the New Horizons, etc and that is just way too much money to pay for 5th wheel that we just use about once a month and a two week trip to FL on the beach. If we were full timerss I could see spending that much money on a unit like that. (Guess you figured out we have a little debate going on with spending $$$ vs getting a nice newer unit and not spending as much $$$).

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated and yes, I will be taking the time to read this Forum at some point. We (I) are not in a hurry to do anything but just beginning research and consideration on upgrading.

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We just ordered a Momentum Toy Hauler, the 385TH. When we were looking at the various manufacturers, we spent a lot of time looking at models, and checking out both the manufacturers sites and the many sites with owners forums. For us, the choice came down to Tesla and Grand Design. When we looked at the overall fit and finish, Grand Design was already at the top of the list. In checking the owners forums, you see issues with all of them. What you see with Grand Design is the company stepping up to the plate and making things right if something did go wrong. You don't see that from any of the other manufacturers.

Then I got the chance to speak to a number of their management at an RV show. They honestly care about their product and their customers. It's really refreshing in this industry to see that. You even have them getting on this forum and making sure that issues are taken care of, and they listen to customer feedback about improvements.

I'm writing about our project at http://www.momentumgunner.com/momentum_project.html and I included some details about meeting with Bill, Marc, and Nate. I learned a lot about their philosophy, and it sold us on the company and their product.
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My wife and I came to some of the same conclusions, but with different results. I know this is a GD board, and it was very helpful in out decision. We were looking at the Solitude 379FL for about a year. We loved the front room aspect of the RV. I’m not going to go into all of the reasons that we did not purchase it. We ended up buying a Bighorn 3750FL instead.

I still see a few 379FL’s at parks and such. After talking with current owners of 379FL’s I’m more convinced I made the right decision. Not that they are having any more concerns or problems than I do - it’s just the feature set is more dynamic for the longer term type of RV’ing we do, (3-5 month in RV parks and such).

Best of luck in your decision.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    As an owner of a 379FL I can say that I am happy with my decision. I looked at many Front living room designs and always came back to the Solitude. You sound like the type of person to do careful research and planning. I believe that you will be happy with your choice. Enjoy Camping.
    KZ and Terry Kleinheitz, Mississippi Gulf Coast
    Meka and Prissy (Social butterflies in Dachshound bodies)
    2015 379FL Solitude
    2014 Ram 3500, Crew Cab, Laramie, Cummins, Auto, 4X4, Long Bed, DRW, Andersen Hitch

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have the 379 and like it real well. We had a SOB front lounge before. Solitude is superior in many ways
    2018 Freedom Elite 24FE, 2 Yorkies, and my wife MARILYN, HAM call K0LCB. Traveling around this great country, making friends and seeing lot of beautiful and interesting places

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We would and will take our GD379FL any day of the week,,7 months now and LOVE it,,,,,,it fills like we have a small home the way it is setup, we looked at some others that felt like,one big room ,,,,,,,
    Nelson & Susan
    Bakersfield, Ca.
    FT @ Orange Grove RV Park
    2015 GD379FL Solitude
    We Pull with 2016 RAM 3500 DRW, 4x4, 6.7 Cummins
    We are FTing and FT Work we have a few more years till we can travel

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We love our 369RL. We looked at several others but kept coming back to the Solitude. If I was starting from scratch, it would be a 375RE instead of the 369, but it would certainly be a GD product. Their customer service has been above and beyond my expectations when I have needed it.
    David & Linda - Plainview, VA
    2008 3500HD CrewCab DRW
    2014 369RL #258
    2007 Solstice
    2008 TrailBlazer
    2016 Kia Sorento
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

CSuggs63
    Thank you for all of your responses. Yes, I do research and analytics for a living and I tend to do it in every aspect of my life especially when it comes to spending $$$ on a luxury item.

One of the main areas of concern is of course the quality of the product and most definately customer service which is what DRV Mobile Suite is lacking since new management as taken over the past couple of years. I still think DRV is building a quality unit but customer service is definately lacking which is one of many reasons not to purchase another Mobile Suite.

We are even discussing flying down to Tampa, FL Lazy Days and looking at the GD units in mass along with some other brands this Fall.

Keep the comments coming!!!!

Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We bought ours from Lazydays...It is a GD Momentum 350M, and we are very happy with it...The only thing we found on our first outing is the door from the living area to the garage, the door jam doesn't line up...I mean not even close...Something I should have picked up and definitely Lazydays should have picked up, but, neither did.

I will take it back there after our trip to Tennessee for them to fix, along with anything else we might find.

Good luck with your search. We met a couple of folks from GD at the Tampa show, really engaging people.

Regards,

AJ

2015 FORD F450 Lariat Ultimate
    2012 HD RoadGlide Ultra
    2015 GD Momentum 350M

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by CSuggs63 View Post
    Thank you for all of your responses. Yes, I do research and analytics for a living and I tend to do it in every aspect of my life especially when it comes to spending $$$ on a luxury item.

One of the main areas of concern is of course the quality of the product and most definately customer service which is what DRV Mobile Suite is lacking since new management as taken over the past couple of years. I still think DRV is building a quality unit but customer service is definately lacking which is one of many reasons not to purchase another Mobile Suite.

We are even discussing flying down to Tampa, FL Lazy Days and looking at the GD units in mass along with some other brands this Fall.

Keep the comments coming!!!!

Thanks.
    As an owner of a Grand Design product for over 2 years, I can say with confidence that you will not find a better company to work with. Their focus on customer service and delivery on their promises is like I've never seen.

I'm not sure where you're from, but if you are willing to fly out of town to see the product, I would suggest going directly to the factory to see where and how these beautiful rigs are built. Meet the owners and the folks responsible for the end to end product. I know they would welcome you and be happy to show you around. I think it would be a very worth while trip.
    Andy & Julie
    Gig Harbor, Wa
    2014 Solitude 369RL S/N 104
    2012 F350 SWR 4x4 CC 6.7 Diesel

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast