User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BattleBorn/Victron Install

I finally took the plunge and started phase one of my Lithium-Inverter-Solar install. I spent a long weekend rebuilding the basement wall in our 2021 310GK yet again to utilize even more wasted space for this project. The ultimate goal for this is to add a bit more flexibility in how we camp and travel, not necessarily full on boondocking. When finished, the system will consist of 4 100Ah BattleBorn batteries, a 3000W Victron inverter/converter, two 50A solar Victron solar charge controllers, 1600W of solar panel, and a Victron battery monitor.

First, out came the heavy lead acid deep cycles from the front compartment. The lithium batteries tucked nicely under the stairs.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20210918_220604530.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	36812

I moved the vacuum and other items to an upper panel to make room for a wiring panel with the switches and fuses. This sits in front of the batteries and is recessed a bit. I'm still deciding if I want to mount the battery monitor in the basement or inside the coach.

Name:	PXL_20210920_222959160.jpg 
Views:	267 
Size:	97.2 KB 
ID:	36813

Next was the inverter and solar charge controllers. I mounted these in a cabinet that I can unscrew and move out of the way if I ever need to service anything behind it. The charge controllers aren't hooked up yet since the solar panels will be phase two in the spring. This inverter model is set up to handle the split phase 50A connection to the coach. This allows any AC device to operate up to the 3000W max without any sub panels.

Name:	PXL_20210920_223017878.jpg 
Views:	247 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	36814

And a shot of the entire new wall. Best part was that I didn't have to use up any of my storage area in the basement. I'll have to change the color of the carpet all the way on the right to keep my OCD in check.

Name:	PXL_20210920_222930884.jpg 
Views:	274 
Size:	96.6 KB 
ID:	36816

I ran some tests on it, and was able to run one of the ACs for over three hours on battery only. When the solar goes on, it'll go for several. The inverter is capable of charging at 120A, so a bit over 3 hours to charge from empty on the batteries. All of the Victron components are Bluetooth enabled and network together to share information. Everything can be monitored and tweaked using the app on a phone. The install was a daunting task at first, but with some planning and a lot of Amazon deliveries for supplies, it wasn't as bad as I thought. The hardest part was spending all of the time in the basement being 6'4".

I was super excited to get this working so I am happy to field any questions or comments if someone else out there has been thinking about this type of install.

Cheers!

Brian
    Brian and Lisa - Longmont, CO
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    2022 F350 Lariat DRW Powerstroke
    Firestone airbags - WirelessOne Airlift
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That sir is a very impressive and a very clean work of art.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice work!
    2022 Momentum 351M-R
    2019 Ford F450 Platinum CC 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; Truck Covers USA American Work Tonneau; B&W 25K hitch; Airlift 5000 Ultimate+ w/WirelessAir; ZRoadZ back-up lamps
    Gone: 2018 Reflection 28BH; 2017 Ford F350 Platinum CCSB 6.7L Powerstroke FX4; 2015 GMC Denali 2500HD CCSB Dmax
    Gone but still in the family: 2004.5 Chev 2500HD CCSB LTZ Dmax

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ynot4me2 View Post
    That sir is a very impressive and a very clean work of art.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Thank you! I'm getting good at rebuilding these basement walls
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What size wire did you use for the dc part?

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by ardvark16 View Post
    What size wire did you use for the dc part?
    Batteries are linked with 2/0. I used 2/0 for the inverter DC up to the 400A fuse, and then switch to redundant 1/0 to the inverter. Negative from the batteries to the shunt and buss bar is also 2/0. The coach is ultimately fed with 6AWG and 4AWG running to the front compartment. The feed to the MPPTs (unconnected fuses in my photo) goes to the batteries through 1/0.

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Since you have moved the batteries back aft of the basement, how did you handle the DC cables to the Slide controllers and landing gear controllers in the front garage compartment (that were short length from battery to controllers if the 310 GK is similar to my 3540 GK) ?

Your workmanship is wonderful !
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady and the Fishfinder View Post
    Since you have moved the batteries back aft of the basement, how did you handle the DC cables to the Slide controllers and landing gear controllers in the front garage compartment (that were short length from battery to controllers if the 310 GK is similar to my 3540 GK) ?

Your workmanship is wonderful !
    Thank you! Our 310 setup is similar, and you are correct. I had to account for the move of the batteries. I have a switched and fused buss bar behind the vacuum that feeds all of the 12VDC to the coach. There is a pair of 4AWG wires that I ran from this buss connection to the front compartment along the ceiling of the basement and through the wall. This feeds all of the DC breakers up front as well as the power for the hydraulics. Everything still works quite nicely.

Felt great to get those LA batteries out of the rig.

Brian
    Last edited by brandtb1919; 09-28-2021 at 09:00 AM.
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by brandtb1919 View Post
    Thank you! Our 310 setup is similar, and you are correct. I had to account for the move of the batteries. I have a switched and fused buss bar behind the vacuum that feeds all of the 12VDC to the coach. There is a pair of 4AWG wires that I ran from this buss connection to the front compartment along the ceiling of the basement and through the wall. This feeds all of the DC breakers up front as well as the power for the hydraulics. Everything still works quite nicely.

Felt great to get those LA batteries out of the rig.

Brian
    Thanks - if your project was "taking the plunge", it was a triple back-flip with 3 twists from the 10 meter platform !
    My first step last week was a tiny belly-flop into a child's pool ! I bought 2 100Ah Battle Borns and stored them under the stairs where I thought I wanted them. But then I realized it wasn't that simple, and just brought them out to the garage and replaced my LA battery directly. Also bought a Progressive 60A lithium charger to replace the 55A WFCO.
    Whew - was pleased with myself that nothing blew up or smoked when I powered up.
    Now I have to think more and learn more to do what you did. I am planning to do the charger/inverter and place everything where you did to avoid more weight up front where I'd like to add a generator and washer/dryer.

I'll probably have to worry for about a year before trying ..........
    2021 Solitude 3540 GK, Reese Goosebox 20K, TST 507 TPMS, RV Airflow
    2020 Chevy Silverado 3500 Duramax/10 speed Allison, LB DRW 4WD
    previous: First "rig" was a '68 VW Bug and 2 backpacks
    1972 Starcraft 8 tent trailer, '73 Chevy Blazer
    2006 Fleetwood Williamsburg tent trailer, '07 Toyota 4Runner
    2015 Jayco Jay Flight 29QBS, 2012 Ford F-150 EcoBoost 4WD, Equal-i-zer hitch

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady and the Fishfinder View Post
    Thanks - if your project was "taking the plunge", it was a triple back-flip with 3 twists from the 10 meter platform !
    My first step last week was a tiny belly-flop into a child's pool ! I bought 2 100Ah Battle Borns and stored them under the stairs where I thought I wanted them. But then I realized it wasn't that simple, and just brought them out to the garage and replaced my LA battery directly. Also bought a Progressive 60A lithium charger to replace the 55A WFCO.
    Whew - was pleased with myself that nothing blew up or smoked when I powered up.
    Now I have to think more and learn more to do what you did. I am planning to do the charger/inverter and place everything where you did to avoid more weight up front where I'd like to add a generator and washer/dryer.

I'll probably have to worry for about a year before trying ..........
    Honestly, I was planning to do exactly what you ended up doing. It wasn't until I ran into one of the guys from the Dry Campers Youtube channel at a campground in SD that I gained the momentum to tackle the bigger scope. After I bought all of the components, I spent a few weeks setting up everything on a bench in my garage and playing around with it until I was confident that I knew how everything worked. What pushed me over the edge was the fact that the lithium converter is a good chunk of the cost of the inverter/converter.

If you are ever in the Longmont area, let me know and we can talk.

Brian
    2021 Solitude 310GK
    B&W Companion 20K
    Tireminder TPMS

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast