User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

5th wheel pin box hits rails

A question for you 5th wheelers: Does your pin box sit lower than your truck’s rails? Mine does, and its making a mess of my roltrax cover’s tracks. It hits them when turning about 45 degrees. If you have this issue, how do you keep this from happening?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Mentioned
    135 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The bottom of the 5th wheel nose area should have at least 5-6" from it to the top of the bed rails. Make sure that the hitch (if adjustable) is set at it's highest position and also make sure the pin box is bolted in the lowest position.
    2016 F350 CrewCab Dually
    2018 Momentum 394M...Heavily Modded!
    2023 Suzuki GSX-S1000 GT+
    Excessive Payload is a Wonderful Thing

"If it ain't fast....It ain't Fun"

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Also, the tonneau tracks on MANY different brands and models of bed covers are simply are not compatible with pinboxes because of the interference. In fact, a good majority of the rolling/retractable covers have this issue in turns.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A question for you 5th wheelers: Does your pin box sit lower than your truck’s rails? Mine does, and its making a mess of my roltrax cover’s tracks. It hits them when turning about 45 degrees. If you have this issue, how do you keep this from happening?
    Not knowing what truck you have, I’m guessing you might be SOL with that roll up cover. I recall when I was researching tonneau covers that was a concern for some. That’s why I chose the Bakflip because the rails don’t impede too far into the bed.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better suggestion for you.
    2021 Solitude 310GK: Linen/DP windows/gen prep/slide toppers/king bed/EOH disc brakes/Cooper-H tires
    2019 F-350: Lariat/CC/LB/Diesel/DRW/4x4/Bakflip MX4/B&W 20K/AirLift 5000
    Other stuff: TST 507 TPMS/2x BB batteries/Victron BMV-712/Champion 3500 dual fuel gen/Garmin 780 GPS/22" Blackstone

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post

At the risk of being overly critical, if you are allowing your self to maneuver into at 45 degree angle (enough to post this) perhaps you should consider a Turning Point Hitch. A Turning Point Hitch will move the pivot point back 23” and the pin box would stay in place and eliminate potential contact with your cover rails.
    An angle of 45 degrees virtually eliminates seamless maneuvering and the stress on the suspension and tires are only measured by what fails first.
    A direct answer to your question is to look for some type of hitch/pin box that pivots under the fifthwheel mounted at the trailer.
    2017 F-250 6.7 2019 273 MK
    Retired Tanker Yanker
    My your pleasures be many and your troubles be few!

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by orbsah View Post
    Not knowing what truck you have, I’m guessing you might be SOL with that roll up cover. I recall when I was researching tonneau covers that was a concern for some. That’s why I chose the Bakflip because the rails don’t impede too far into the bed.

Hopefully someone else can chime in with a better suggestion for you.
    That may be, but it seems to me, that even without the tracks, the pin box would eventually hit the truck rails. Impact with the tracks occurs maybe a couple of inches sooner than impact would occur with the truck’s rails.

2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Skilletface View Post
    At the risk of being overly critical, if you are allowing your self to maneuver into at 45 degree angle (enough to post this) perhaps you should consider a Turning Point Hitch. A Turning Point Hitch will move the pivot point back 23” and the pin box would stay in place and eliminate potential contact with your cover rails.
    An angle of 45 degrees virtually eliminates seamless maneuvering and the stress on the suspension and tires are only measured by what fails first.
    A direct answer to your question is to look for some type of hitch/pin box that pivots under the fifthwheel mounted at the trailer.
    Interesting concept. Hoping to solve this issue without spending big bucks. I’ve contacted Curt with the issue and am waiting for their response.

2018 Solitude 384 GK-R
    2017 GMC 3500 HD Denali

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    On my '13 F150 SB SCREW with Reese 16K 5th wheel hitch, purchased a GD Reflection 150 fifth wheel with the Lippert Turning Point pin box. I also have a roll back Pace Edwards JackRabbit cover on my SCREW. No problems with clearance of trailer over bed rails or pin box clearance.

Tips used for setup (istalled all myself except pin box): Set hitch head on highest level on support legs - clears bed rails by 5-6 inches, never touches. Roll back was setup using Pace Edwards install instructions. Roll back doesn't interfere with hitch operation when open, and, clears hitch head when opened or closed to hide contents in bed when trailer not connected.

One thing about Lippert Turning Point pin box you might consider........ for whatever reason, dealers in and around my area (including my selling dealer??) do not offer or even know that the Turning Point box requires annuall lubrication to the spindle and bearings (as stated in the supplied manufactuers manual)???? So....... if you decide to go that route, be prepared to maintenance the spindle and nut yourself. You'd think that mainetence revenue alone would solve THAT dilema...... NOT?

BTW, JFYI, the Reese Sidewinder pin box (similiar to the Turning Point in how it works), does appear to HAVE dealers who know the required maintenance and will offer to do so. Go figure????? Might consider that route just for the convenience of not having to do it yourself.

Mentioned
    230 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabervin View Post
    That may be, but it seems to me, that even without the tracks, the pin box would eventually hit the truck rails. Impact with the tracks occurs maybe a couple of inches sooner than impact would occur with the truck’s rails.

A couple inches on the bed sides equates to unrealistic turning radius in the overall scheme of things.

I ran into that issue when looking at rolling bed covers. I now use a folding one that has no framing that stays in place, it all flips forward and I can tow with it in the forward position.
    Steve- Inventory Manager at Tom Schaeffer's RV, Shoemakersville, PA www.tomschaeffers.com
    [email protected]
    2011 RAM 3500 SRW Outdoorsman Edition 4X4, 6.7 Cummins--TWEAKED!
    2021 Reflection 310RLS

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the Gator Trax, very similar to Roll Trax. On mine the hitch never touches the side of the truck. What I found was that when backing into un-even sites the roll of the trailer would cause the under side of the 5th wheel overhang to rub the top of the rails, and subsequently, the Gator Trax rails. Add my skirt rail to the mix. I have caught the skirt rail on the Gator Trax rail and tore the crap out things. It also crushes the molding around the under side of the 5th wheel overhang.

It only happens once in a while when I am trying to get into an un-even site. So I just roll with it, fix the damage when it occurs.

I think if your hitch pin box is hitting the side of you truck you may have an improper installation.
    Dallas
    2017 Momentum 376TH, 2019 Ford F450, Dual Rear Wheel, 4x4, diesel.
    2015 Harley-Davidson Street, XG750

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast