User Tag List

Thread: Adventure story

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Adventure story

so, we are just back from 2 weeks on the road with the 5th wheel RV and F-250 power stroke tow vehicle. We had a wonderful trip starting in New Mexico (Albuquerque area) driving up I-25 to Fort Collins and then heading NW through Lander WY and on to the Grand Teton National Park. The last mountain pass prior to dropping in to the Tetons was 9600 feet and bracketed by lengthy 6- and 8-percent grades. The rig handled all this with aplomb and made the driving easy. Once camp was set up we divided time between touring Yellowstone Park and the Teton Park. Camp was at Colter Bay RV Campground.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1850.jpeg 
Views:	21 
Size:	216.3 KB 
ID:	36818

The 'adventure story' happened on the return trip. On the leg between Ft. Collins CO, and Raton NM, we were climbing out of Pueblo CO and just starting to engage in our traditional friendly bet of "how many wind turbines will be spinning?", of the four south of Pueblo. On the climb we had about 30 PSI steady at the turbo boost gauge. Then BANG and much reduced power. I had heard that sound once prior when one of the big rubber hoses slipped off the intercooler shortly after I had reinstalled the radiator and intercooler. Then I was near the house doing a test drive. Now I was in the sparse ranch country of southern CO and I had the 5th wheel in-tow. Slightly different adrenaline reaction. Eased the rig off at the next exit and parked.

A quick inspection confirmed my thoughts. One of the rubber hoses attaching the intercooler to the big aluminum air induction pipe had ripped open.

Name:	IMG_1875.jpeg 
Views:	18 
Size:	97.9 KB 
ID:	36819

Well, the first plan was a) figure out where we are and b) call roadside assistance. (My RV insurance includes towing for the RV and the truck.) Google maps was called to action. Lo-and-behold! An auto repair business has pinned an advertisement right at my exit number (exit 83 on I-25, 23 miles south of Pueblo, check it out on Google Maps). Of course this is a Sunday. I called the number and spoke a bit with Tom. He confirmed that his shop is right across the freeway from my location. One of about 5 homes-with-barns that I could see in the roughly 10-mile visibility afforded by the high spot I was on. He quickly agreed to stop his current job, call around pueblo to locate the part, drive to our location, and pull the hose. Then he took the hose back to town and used it to assure the new one was correct. Came back with a new hose and put it on. Credit card payment and we were on the road with only about 2 hours of down time. Just amazing. I can't imagine how the situation could have resolved better than that.
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You got lucky there, you found an awesome mechanic that went the Xtra mile to help you out.
    Now to change the subject...do you have pics of your 55 f100? I have a 55 also but it is a darksider...not stock.
    People keep telling me to follow my dreams...so I went back to bed

2019 303rls
    2017 GMC 2500hd ccsb 2wd 6.0 gas
    Andersen ultimate rail mount hitch

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by avf100 View Post
    You got lucky there, you found an awesome mechanic that went the Xtra mile to help you out.
    Now to change the subject...do you have pics of your 55 f100? I have a 55 also but it is a darksider...not stock.
    Here it is. The first image is the day I brought it home as a running, driving truck. Stock suspension and a 292 Y-block.

Name:	NelliePerspective.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	96.4 KB 
ID:	36821

What I later found was 2 broken leaf springs and a severely cracked frame. The project then took a different turn and now I have completely restored the frame and suspension and am working on the motor.

Name:	IMG_1491.jpeg 
Size:	222.9 KB 
ID:	36822

Name:	IMG_1752 reduced.jpeg 
Size:	135.8 KB 
ID:	36823 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1753 reduced.jpeg 
Views:	12 
Size:	145.9 KB 
ID:	36824
    2020 Reflection 303RLS "Betty Roy"
    2023 Silverado 2500 HD, 6.6L Duramax " "
    1955 Ford F-100 "Nellie"
    2017 Great Dane mix "Nibbler", 2018 English Lab "Hamilton"

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice....are you familiar with the FTE ( ford truck enthusiasts) forum? There is a sub forum for the 48 - 56 trucks. This is mine...I've owned it since '73 and I'm almost done with a frame off redo that I started 7 years ago. Sorry but its chevy powered.

Name:	20210803_050257.jpg 
Size:	86.6 KB 
ID:	36830

2019 303rls

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Never mind...I found that you are a member on FTE. .
    I saw your Adventure post over there.
    Last edited by avf100; 09-24-2021 at 05:35 AM.

2019 303rls