User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Will batteries charge when disconnect switch is set to cut power to trailer?

My storage facility will charge my batteries prior to me picking up the trailer. If I've set the battery disconnect switch to cut power to the trailer will the batteries still charge when power is applied via the shore power connection?

How long can my 2 six volt batteries typically be expected to hold a charge when there is zero drain? I plan on installing a battery disconnect switch at the batteries to prevent any drain as currently my batteries will be down to 10 volts after about two weeks in storage.
    2021 Imagine XLS 17MKE
    2020 F150 XLT V6 EcoBoost SuperCrew 4x4 w/Max trailer towing package

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No, they won’t charge.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The factory battery disconnect when activated will prevent your batteries to be charged however there a still some devices that remain connected to the battery (after the disconnect) that will drain your battery. These are referred to as parasitic drains. Our battery gets drained after a week or so. The devices that remain connected are mostly sensors like the CO2. We installed a direct disconnect right at the battery to prevent these drains and makes it easier to disconnect (as opposed to unscrewing the battery terminal) .

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GaryS1964 View Post
    My storage facility will charge my batteries prior to me picking up the trailer. If I've set the battery disconnect switch to cut power to the trailer will the batteries still charge when power is applied via the shore power connection?

How long can my 2 six volt batteries typically be expected to hold a charge when there is zero drain? I plan on installing a battery disconnect switch at the batteries to prevent any drain as currently my batteries will be down to 10 volts after about two weeks in storage.
    No need for a separate disconnect switch at the battery... simple look at your battery, follow the cables to the terminal strips and see what wires are connected before the OEM disconnect switch. You can remove anything that has a current draw on it and relocate those wires to the opposite side of the OEM disconnect switch and use only that switch. Make sure you leave the emergency brake away switch on the side that always stays hot.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar