User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Too Much Grease!

Took our 397TH in for some warranty work (been waiting on parts). I told the service writer if they had time to pack the wheel bearings, we've had our 5th wheel for almost a year and put a lot of miles on it. He calls me later and asked if I had ever lubed the wheel bearings, I told him I have not. Apparently the brakes on 4 wheels have grease on them and need replaced. Has anyone else had a problem with too much grease in the wheel bearings from the factory? 7000lb Dexter axels by the way. Still waiting to see who pays for this, hope it's not me.
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly not too much grease, usually mis-applied grease, as a result of shoddy assembly. You might want to check them out yourself just to be sure they aren't getting a bit overzealous and replacing parts that can be cleaned. But if grease has soaked the brake shoes, there isn't a lot to be done about that.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grease on brakes has been a problem for a long time. It has improved and is happening far less but it still does happen. If you search greasy brakes you will find plenty to read.

If this is a warranty item ( it should be) and all were greased I would have them replace the all the brakes. If they want you to pay call GD and double check with service that it was issued as a claim and if not push for it.
    Last edited by WhittleBurner; 09-24-2021 at 10:05 AM.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Took our 397TH in for some warranty work (been waiting on parts). I told the service writer if they had time to pack the wheel bearings, we've had our 5th wheel for almost a year and put a lot of miles on it. He calls me later and asked if I had ever lubed the wheel bearings, I told him I have not. Apparently the brakes on 4 wheels have grease on them and need replaced. Has anyone else had a problem with too much grease in the wheel bearings from the factory? 7000lb Dexter axels by the way. Still waiting to see who pays for this, hope it's not me.
    Grease on brakes is common straight from factory. Usually bad seals. I recommend anyone with a new trailer check the brakes for leaking seals. On our brand new 2019 351M, grease was on the brakes when I changed to disc brakes after 6 months of owning it.
    2019 Momentum 351M, Disc Brakes, Roadmaster Slipper Springs/shocks
    2018 F-450 Ruby Red
    B&W 25K Hitch
    2015 H-D Road Glide CVO / B&W Biker Bar

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Brake Parts Cleaner, $3.99 at the auto parts stores.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Which is why I disagree with those that believe servicing the bearings only requires pumping grease into the hubs using the hub zerks. My guess is your leaking seals are a direct result of an overzealous worker with a very heavy trigger finger on the air powered grease gun.
    2022 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    Sold: 2015 27RL
    2016 Ram 3500 Crewcab Cummins SRW

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Brake Parts Cleaner, $3.99 at the auto parts stores.
    You cant clean grease off brake pads, they need to be replaced. You can clean the drums though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got good news! Grand Design is covering this and the dealer is mailing me a check as I already paid for repairs and have our toy hauler back home! The dealer and Grand Design have taken pretty good care of us since we bought our Momentum. Biggest problem has been getting parts for the repairs, it takes a while, seems like Covid has slowed everything down. Thankfully, it's all been little stuff and we can still enjoy our toy hauler (and the toy).
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greasy brakes

I got good news! Grand Design is covering this and the dealer is mailing me a check as I already paid for repairs and have our toy hauler back home! The dealer and Grand Design have taken pretty good care of us since we bought our Momentum. Biggest problem has been getting parts for the repairs, it takes a while, seems like Covid has slowed everything down. Thankfully, it's all been little stuff and we can still enjoy our toy hauler (and the toy).
    Good t hear this has worked out for you. Grand Design’s customer service has a good reputation.
    For future reference avoid using the grease zerks to lube your bearings. The only way to properly lube your bearings is to disassemble, clean, repack and install new seals. What is occurring with both Lippert and Dexter axles is they do not contain a relief port for excess grease to come out, like on marine trailer axles. Due to this lack of a relief port excess grease and pressure flow past the seal and contaminate the brakes. The supposedly proper method is to jack the tire off the ground and spin the assembly while pumping in grease, still not a good idea. Grease will become contaminated from normal use, and can break down over long periods of time, however, sealed in a hub, with no direct light exposure this does not reduce the volume of the grease in the hub. So pumping in more grease each season is a bad practice.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Saldog View Post
    Good t hear this has worked out for you. Grand Design’s customer service has a good reputation.
    For future reference avoid using the grease zerks to lube your bearings. The only way to properly lube your bearings is to disassemble, clean, repack and install new seals. What is occurring with both Lippert and Dexter axles is they do not contain a relief port for excess grease to come out, like on marine trailer axles. Due to this lack of a relief port excess grease and pressure flow past the seal and contaminate the brakes. The supposedly proper method is to jack the tire off the ground and spin the assembly while pumping in grease, still not a good idea. Grease will become contaminated from normal use, and can break down over long periods of time, however, sealed in a hub, with no direct light exposure this does not reduce the volume of the grease in the hub. So pumping in more grease each season is a bad practice.
    Not 100% accurate. The grease that gets pumped in, I'm talking EZ-Lube system, makes it's way through the axle stub, through the bearings, and out the end of the axle stub. That is where the excess grease comes out. I've used it in the past, but it really is unnecessary. Consider the wheel bearings in your car, they don't get fresh grease and rarely fail. IMO it's best to disassemble the bearings to check for proper assembly and amount of grease when you first take possession. Some of these trailers come from the factory with grease in the brake area, and dinged and damaged grease seals. Best to make sure all is well before doing anything.

Once you know all is well, the you can disassemble and repack bearings every few years if you so desire. All depends on how many miles you travel, and the terrain you cover.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast