User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grease on your brakes comes from a blown out rear seal. They get blown out from to much pressure from the grease gun.
    Hand packing the wheel bearings is a PITA bt it is a lot more reliable than lubing through zerks.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    62 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    Grease on your brakes comes from a blown out rear seal. They get blown out from to much pressure from the grease gun.
    Hand packing the wheel bearings is a PITA bt it is a lot more reliable than lubing through zerks.
    This is painting with a broad brush, and not necessarily true. Done properly with properly installed seals, there is no reason to assume the problem is from a grease gun, unless the person responsible for greasing the trailer is using a powered grease gun. The EZ-lube feature can work, but IMO is unnecessary. Hand packing every few years is sufficient unto itself. Adding grease through the zerks is really unnecessary. The grease will easily last a few years and many thousands of miles if done properly.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The issue is, that 4 out of 6 brakes had grease on them. However you decide to grease your hubs is your choice but I think I would have felt, seen or know that my brakes where not functioning proudly with 4 or of 6 brake pads grease coated. Especially such a heavy trailer, while slowing down or stopping while going down hill. That means the other 2 brakes should be about worn out from picking up the slack.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have noticed with the new brakes I don't have the brake controller turned up as high as I did before finding the contaminated brake shoes. Never noticed any smell coming from the brakes but I'm pretty easy on brakes. Big believer in keeping an eye out ahead and slowing using the gears and not the brakes anymore than necessary. Probably put about 8,000 miles on Momentum before the service. The dealer has taken care of my rigs for about 4 years and I've been pretty pleased with them.
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123