User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had this same problem when buying a used Imagine 2150RB. I pulled the wheels and drums because I had the brake controller up to 10 and it didn't seem to be 'grabbing' to me. I checked the electric brakes and found grease splattered all over the inside of the drums. I asked the dealer how they could have possibly passed this through both their pre-sale inspection and state safety inspection when the brakes hardly worked. They bought me all new brake assemblies and I installed them myself to make sure it was done right, and also changed the bearing grease and seals. Now the trailer brakes work just fine at about a 4 setting. :-) I feel comfortable checking and/or regreasing the bearings every 2-3 years now.
    2017 Imagine 2150RB
    2016 Silverado CC LTZ with 8-speed transmission

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe we are on the same page, what you described as the EZ-Lybe system has similar designs depending on the brand…the relief port out the end of the axle stub permits flushing of moisture and old grease and prevents excess grease from moving past the grease seal.

Lippert for example advises their bearings should be repacked every 3,000 miles. That seems excessive. Most vehicle applications utilize sealed bearings which have a good track record for longevity and no maintenance other than inspecting. These were utilized for awhile in towable axles, but problems arose and did not seem to gain in popularity. They might have been undersized for the application.

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I don't touchem!

Quote Originally Posted by Saldog View Post
    Good t hear this has worked out for you. Grand Design’s customer service has a good reputation.
    For future reference avoid using the grease zerks to lube your bearings. The only way to properly lube your bearings is to disassemble, clean, repack and install new seals. What is occurring with both Lippert and Dexter axles is they do not contain a relief port for excess grease to come out, like on marine trailer axles. Due to this lack of a relief port excess grease and pressure flow past the seal and contaminate the brakes. The supposedly proper method is to jack the tire off the ground and spin the assembly while pumping in grease, still not a good idea. Grease will become contaminated from normal use, and can break down over long periods of time, however, sealed in a hub, with no direct light exposure this does not reduce the volume of the grease in the hub. So pumping in more grease each season is a bad practice.
    I really don't think those zerks are a good idea so I don't use them. Haven't even had our Momentum for a year and my main concern was that they had enough grease from the factory and just wanted to make sure so I asked the dealer to pack them. Wasn't expecting to hear they had too much! At least now I know what I got, we're not full timers but probably spend 6 months out the year traveling and don't like any problems on the road.

I used to do my own wheel bearings but this rig has three axels and that's too long a day in the driveway! Getting lazy in my senior years. I think I need to go camping!
    2020 Ford F-350 King Ranch, 2021 Momentum 397TH, Kawasaki KRX 1000

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I agree with the others about the seals, my 230rl first inspection I did the bearing checks, I found very little grease in the hubs….this bothered me so I inspected the bearing and regreased the bearings and hubs myself…..I use a regular grease gun, the pneumatic guns apply too much pressure to these types of hubs and seals….if the brake drums are not crystallized, you can just clean them…but if they are burned and harder you can try resurfacing but these drum linings are not that thick and may need replacing

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Your unit probably as ezlube axels. If there is a grease fitting on the end of the axel it's an ezlube. The internet will provide instructions for lubing. Your service provider will probably tell you that the bearings need to be packed manually. Not necessary and is expensive. Merritt

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FT4NOW View Post
    You cant clean grease off brake pads, they need to be replaced. You can clean the drums though.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Actually.... this stuff does wonders. Have used it to clean greased pads with great success. I use a green scrubby thing and blue shop towels. Spray, scrub, wipe and repeat a time or two and brake pads look like new.

Of course if warrantee is going to pay for new ones, go that route. If not this is an option to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KandN.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	25.6 KB 
ID:	37074
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JMO, but grease will soak into brake shoes/pads and while they may look fine when cleaned, the grease will still be soaked in the pad material, and may come to the surface when heated while braking. Again, JMO, but brake pads are best to be replaced after being grease soaked. RV brake shoes are stupid expensive, but frugal as I am, I would still replace greased brake shoes/pads.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    JMO, but grease will soak into brake shoes/pads and while they may look fine when cleaned, the grease will still be soaked in the pad material, and may come to the surface when heated while braking. Again, JMO, but brake pads are best to be replaced after being grease soaked. RV brake shoes are stupid expensive, but frugal as I am, I would still replace greased brake shoes/pads.
    I didn't believe it would work either, but... after trying it once and then pulling the drum again after a couple trips, brakes were still clean/grease free. All I can say is the K & N stuff seems to draw out the grease (normal "brake cleaner" will not work.) If ever in a bind, give it a try, you may be surprised.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like it could be worth a try, with as expensive as RV brake shoes are. Thin material, and 4 or 5 times as expensive as regular shoes.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am going to go against the concensus and ask if you ever had any problems with grease on the brakes or ever smelt the burning of grease during your travels?

I have owned several new trailers, to include our 395MS, all with the zerk system and never had an issue with any grease problems. The only issue I had was lack of grease in the hubs. I do grease our axles using the zerks, with over 150k miles of travel in our RVs, I have been happy with the system.

Is the service department reliable? I find it strange that after all those miles you did not notice that 4 out of 6 of your brake pads had grease on them and you did not notice or smell anything out of the norm. With the weight of the trailer filled with gear and your krx loaded in the bay, while going down hill I believe you would have noticed brake problems way before the service department mentioned it with 4 or if 6 brakes not functioning correctly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast