Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

22MLE Battery Winterizing

Greetings!
    We have been enjoying our 2021 22mle off and on since earlier this year and I think we are wrapping up the season soon.
    We live in the Pacific Northwest and don't always see snow; ever other year maybe and generally only once or twice lasting 1-2 days w/ 1"-4" of snowfall. VERY mild. We do also generally get a bit of a cold snap (again mild) for maybe a week where it's 20 F at night.
    All this to say/ask what everyone does with their batteries. Our garage is not insulated so while it may be dryer it's not generally a whole lot warmer.
    Currently I mostly leave the trailer plugged in (30 amp wall plug) because I do run a dehumidifier off and on and work in the trailer once a week.
    My initial thought was to just pluggl it in when I need to work and run the dehumidifier off the batteries in the interim (it's a small countertop one.)
    As always your input is much appreciated.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have the same RV...mine is still in shop. In any event, aren't you supposed to leave the battery installed if you use shore power? Maybe I miss read your post. I store mine in my garage. It can get pretty cold here in Tennessee. I take my battery out, wrap it in a towel and place it in a plastic battery container. Periodically, I will hook it up to charger if I'm going to be at home. I try my best to keep it 50% charged or more. Keep it off concrete floor. Sit it on a board.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Jane View Post
    Greetings!
    We have been enjoying our 2021 22mle off and on since earlier this year and I think we are wrapping up the season soon.
    We live in the Pacific Northwest and don't always see snow; ever other year maybe and generally only once or twice lasting 1-2 days w/ 1"-4" of snowfall. VERY mild. We do also generally get a bit of a cold snap (again mild) for maybe a week where it's 20 F at night.
    All this to say/ask what everyone does with their batteries. Our garage is not insulated so while it may be dryer it's not generally a whole lot warmer.
    Currently I mostly leave the trailer plugged in (30 amp wall plug) because I do run a dehumidifier off and on and work in the trailer once a week.
    My initial thought was to just pluggl it in when I need to work and run the dehumidifier off the batteries in the interim (it's a small countertop one.)
    As always your input is much appreciated.
    Not trying to change thread...but what kind of dehumidifier are you using? Looking to get one. Thanks.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    I have the same RV...mine is still in shop. In any event, aren't you supposed to leave the battery installed if you use shore power? Maybe I miss read your post. I store mine in my garage. It can get pretty cold here in Tennessee. I take my battery out, wrap it in a towel and place it in a plastic battery container. Periodically, I will hook it up to charger if I'm going to be at home. I try my best to keep it 50% charged or more. Keep it off concrete floor. Sit it on a board.
    I realize I didn't say clearly that I'm thinking of just leaving the batteries installed, not plugged into my 30 amp plug and running the dehumidifier for 5-6 days that way. Then plugging into my 30amp wall plug 1-2 days a week when I work out there to charge things back up.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dooley View Post
    Not trying to change thread...but what kind of dehumidifier are you using? Looking to get one. Thanks.
    No worries. I just bought something off Amazon along with a counter top gauge to give me the temp and humidity readings inside.

It doesn't hold a ton of water, after a week it is usually 1/2 full so not a good option if you want to set it and forget it for longer periods.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I realize I didn't say clearly that I'm thinking of just leaving the batteries installed, not plugged into my 30 amp plug and running the dehumidifier for 5-6 days that way. Then plugging into my 30amp wall plug 1-2 days a week when I work out there to charge things back up.
    Running anything off your batteries without shore power (with battery charging system on) will drain your batteries. You probably also have other items drawing power off your batteries, like the CO detector, without the battery disconnect in the off position.

I leave batteries in the RV or boat during the freezing winters. I disconnect the batteries so that no current is drawn. If I don't have a battery disconnect switch in the system I just disconnect the cables from the battery.
    Last edited by Corky2; 09-26-2021 at 12:53 PM.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Corky2 View Post
    Running anything off your batteries without shore power (with battery charger on) will drain your batteries. You probably also have other items drawing power off your batteries, like the CO detector, without the battery disconnect in the off position.

I leave batteries in the RV or boat during the freezing winters I disconnect the batteries so that no current is drawn. If I don't have a battery disconnect switch in the system I just disconnect the cables from the battery.
    Right! I should include my theory behind doing it the way I mentioned above. Which is I thought I shouldn't leave the trailer plugged in ALL the time? I can certainly do a test run of things and see what my battery readings are each day the dehumidifier is running not on shore power. It's just parked in the driveway.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Right! I should include my theory behind doing it the way I mentioned above. Which is I thought I shouldn't leave the trailer plugged in ALL the time? I can certainly do a test run of things and see what my battery readings are each day the dehumidifier is running not on shore power. It's just parked in the driveway.
    If it was me and I wanted to run a dehumidifier or something else I would just leave the shore power connected so the batteries stay charged.

We Have a Great Site Team WhittleBurner's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There should be no problem leaving it plugged in.
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had to install a converter that will also trickle charge both batteries (Progressive Industries) so I can leave ours plugged in all the time.
    2018 Solitude 375 RES 2022 F450 Powerstroke Dually

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast