Thread: Towing

Fireside Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Towing

We have a 2021 rbe.The dry weight is around 5400lbs. I will be towing with
    a 2018 Chevy Silverado, 5.3, auto, short bed, 3.43 rear end. Is anybody towing with a truck like this and if so how does it tow? On trips it will be just be the wife and me. Will buy groceries, ets., after we set up at destination.
    Just wondering do I need a little more truck for mountain travel.
    TIA

I have added Bilstein shocks and helper springs to the rear of the truck. Also have a Recurve 6 WDH.
    Last edited by jjradtech; 09-26-2021 at 06:58 PM. Reason: More info
    2021 Imagine xls 22rbe
    2018 Silverado 5.3, auto crew cab

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tow a 22MLE with a slightly older truck, a 2011 GMC Crew w/ 5.3/3.42 short bed. I've towed from the Atlanta area up to Cherokee, NC and then through the Nantahala and the Ocoee Gorge areas over to the Chattanooga area with no problems. I did upgrade to E rated 10 Ply tires and installed a much larger transmission cooler. Also upgraded the shocks and did a Diablew tune a couple of years ago. I see others towing much larger rigs with the same size truck but I'd be uncomfortable going larger.

I am planning a couple of big Western trips over the next couple of years and may upgrade to a 3/4 ton to deal with the big mountains and winds. For anything East of the Rockies, my current TV would be just fine.

Best regards,

Don

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good Morning,

That rig has a GVWR of 6995, we will call it 7k.

Tongue weight will be from 700 - 1050 pounds.

GWWR for your truck as configured is around 7200 pounds.

Even at the top end I think you are within all your ratings for your truck albeit at the high end of the spectrum for your truck. Some of the challenges you may run into are the 3.42 diff gearing. This may make it a bit tough going up grades and getting to speed. I believe your truck will do it, but being at the top end of the capability may not be a nice tow all the time. I guess it boils down to how often do you two and over what distance and terrain.

Definitely take your setup to a Cat scale and see where you actually are. Depending on your use, it may be worth it for you to move to a 250/2500.

Big limitations of your truck are gawr, tire loading and payload and of course the diff gearing. Less concerned with the payload. But they are all at the top end of the ratings. Do a few tows and see how it works.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Mentioned
    60 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a 2400 bh and my 2018 Sierra hauls it very well
    I use a Husky Centreline
    Hauled it home from Ontario to NB with it empty and was expecting a bad towing experience but it tracked perfectly and no porpoising

More power would be nice but I am not in a rush. Maintains cruise control at 63 mph no problem

We stayed at Fundy National Park this summer with some of the steepest grades around

2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 crew
    2021 Imagine 2400 BH
    2018 GMC Sierra 4x4 Crew 1840lb payload

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We tow our MLE with the same truck. We have been in the "hills' of north Georgia and it did very well. Can't speak for the "mountains. I think it can handle any east coast terrain. Rockies, I don't know. Haven't been there yet.

Good luck.
    Robert and Chris
    2021 Imagine XLS 22MLE
    2024 2500HD Silverado 6.6L gas
    Blue Ox Sway Pro

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes it can tow it but towing isn’t the same as stopping it or controlling it. Mind your payload capacity .

Also don’t listen to the bla bla I’ve been towing using it for years. Accident avoidance is not determined by what have happened before. Sure all these things tow in optimum conditions but…..

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We've been towing a 21bhe with a chevy colorado all over michigan for three seasons now although not in the mountains yet. It tows well. Had a bent axle this spring and did convert to disc brakes when we replaced the axles and was a definite improvement in stopping ability. That said it stopped fine with the old axles and drum brakes.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have spent the last 2 summers towing an Imagine XLS RBE with a 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Double cab (5.3l engine, 8 speed transmission with tow haul mode, 4wd, 3.23 rear end, 7000lb GVWR, 925lb max tongue wt, 9500lb max towing).

Over 5700 miles in that time, including around the north route of Lake Superior and out to the Rocky Mountains in Alberta. Mileage from a high of 14 to a low of 9 miles per US gallon. The former on 50 mph local secondary highways in rural Ontario, the latter trying to maintain 65mph into 30 mph headwinds on the prairies and 6-8% grades over Lake Superior. Overall 11-12 mpg at 60 mph (260 to 290 miles per tank). Getting only 215 miles per tank was a real limiting factor on those 9 mpg sections in north-western Ontario. Power was never lacking. Can't say I ever monitored temperatures, though.

We towed in severe windstorms (Husky WD hitch with sway bars), including having to wait for tornado warnings, and the combo is pretty stable. Never felt like the trailer was overpowering the truck.

I really like the truck. When not towing I typically get 20 miles per US gallon on the highway, about 16 in town. Would I prefer the torque & power advantage of the 6.2? Yes. But the cost disadvantage of premium fuel for minimal mileage improvement (and the same size fuel tank) isn't worth it to me at this point.

Cool videos of the comparison of the 6.2 and 5.3 towing on YouTube. For example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTCtujFxshk

Mike C
    2021 Imagine XLS 22RBE
    2019 GMC Elevation Double Cab 5.3l 8spd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I towed our 26ft Cougar(TT) with my Silverado 1500 Z71 4x4 crew cab (5.3L, Custom Tuned, upgraded exhaust ect ect.)
    Towed ok on level ground but once I hit a steep pass I could only go about 40mph pedal to the metal, wrapping out my transmission and RPM’S. Sold that truck andClick image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0108.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	37313
    trailer and got me a 1-ton Silverado 3500 diesel and 2021 Imagine 2800BH. Now i never have to worry about being overweight and I pass folks in the fast lane up mountain passes! Glad I went to a diesel!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk