User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by McDugals View Post
    Will the battery still charge with the battery disconnect off?
    No, it will not.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2011 Keystone Outback 277RL(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH
    2013 Ford F250 XLT, 6.2L Gas

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    No, it will not.
    Agreed. I use a battery tender hooked up remotely to maintain the battery when in storage.

Dutchman2

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bungy View Post
    U

If your storage location has power why are you worried about the disconnect switch?Plug the trailer in and leave it powered up.
    Bungy,
    The storage facility we are at has suffered several power spikes over the years killing several other RV owners power converters that were hooked to the shore power inside their units. I use a low dollar battery tender and surge protector for this reason. I still had the first battery tender fry during a voltage spike a few years ago on another RV we owned. Just a cheaper solution and piece of mind the battery is being maintained.

Dutchman2

Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DECelt View Post
    You will still have 10-15% self discharge loss every month, and more in extreme temps. I had the same issue and just installed a 20 watt solar charging system. Easy, inexpensive and no dead battery surprises.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Can you provide information on the system you went with? Sounds like a great option.
    2017 Ford F350 Platinum 6.7L PowerStroke DRW
    2017 Solitude 379FLS

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Is it an OEM switch or an aftermarket switch? OEM should still work, an aftermarket put on by an individual may not.
    Does GD manufacture a unit without OEM switch
    18 Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 18 Momentum 349M. 2011 H-D Road Glide. 2006 H-D Deluxe. 2014 Arctic Cat 1000X4 HO

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bigfitz View Post
    Does GD manufacture a unit without OEM switch
    I honestly don't know, but some people will install an aftermarket switch in addition to an OEM switch. I did on our last trailer because the OEM didn't shut everything off. The OEM on our 351M shuts down all current draws.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way to disable everything is to put a battery switch on the negative cable. That would include the break-away switch, sensors, electronics, etc.
    Every switch GD uses is an aftermarket switch as they do not manufacture their components.
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The only way to disable everything is to put a battery switch on the negative cable. That would include the break-away switch, sensors, electronics, etc.
    Every switch GD uses is an aftermarket switch as they do not manufacture their components.
    Yeah, I think everyone knows OEM only means installed by the builder. And you don't need to disable everything, only the items that are drawing current. If it doesn't draw any amps no big deal.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Keebler View Post
    Can you provide information on the system you went with? Sounds like a great option.
    Eco-worthy 25 watt with controller. Available on Amazon at about $35.00. It is all SAE connections. You will likely also need a couple of SAE extensions, a couple of in line fuses ( 10 amp for the controller and 20 for the panel) as well as a better set of clip on or o- connectors for the battery. The included wires were junk. I also put an SAE port on the front wall of the fifth wheel front storage.

I am currently just using bungee cords to attach it to the front of the pin box. Depending on how that works out, I may switch to suction cups. I'm in a storage lot so I can't just set the panel on the ground.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk
    Last edited by DECelt; 10-03-2021 at 03:24 PM.
    DECelt
    2021 Solitude 310-GK
    2022 Ram 3500 CCLB diesel

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    Yeah, I think everyone knows OEM only means installed by the builder. And you don't need to disable everything, only the items that are drawing current. If it doesn't draw any amps no big deal.
    Yeah, I think everyone knows that you don't need to disable everything, but the discussion had turned to how to eliminate parasitic drains and the way to do that is to install a battery cutoff on the negative side, and that disables everything by default. I suppose you could separate the devices always drawing current from those which are not, but if a device is off and not normally drawing any current, why would you want to?
    2010 Jayco 26(SOLD)
    2021 Grand Design 268BH

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast