User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoopy Frood View Post
    I honestly don't know, but some people will install an aftermarket switch in addition to an OEM switch. I did on our last trailer because the OEM didn't shut everything off. The OEM on our 351M shuts down all current draws.
    I disconnect batteries when storing
    18 Silverado 3500 Dually Duramax 18 Momentum 349M. 2011 H-D Road Glide. 2006 H-D Deluxe. 2014 Arctic Cat 1000X4 HO

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by BobLandry View Post
    The only way to disable everything is to put a battery switch on the negative cable. That would include the break-away switch, sensors, electronics, etc.
    Every switch GD uses is an aftermarket switch as they do not manufacture their components.

Not entirely true... You can go to the terminal strips near your battery and test the circuits on both sides of the switch. All of the parts still drawing current when the OEM switch is off can be moved to the opposite side of the circuitry. Making your OEM disconnect switch totally disconnect all load drawing circuits. Just make sure to double check that the emergency brake away switch remains hot at all times.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I suspect most of us just have the one 12v battery as installed at the dealership. The simplest way to be sure that there is no drain is to disconnect the negative battery terminal at the battery. I have been a certified auto tech for 40yrs and a marine tech in Ontario Canada. We only disconnected the negative on boat batteries for the winter and I have seen a good many 10yr old batteries still able to start the boat in the spring. I have also seen a good many batteries killed by leaving so called trickle chargers, battery tenders and solar chargers hooked up over the winter. My current(non GD but in the process of aGD purchase) battery is a 2015 and still tests good.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New to this forum and I appreciate the candor, respect and expertise I have read here. This is my question as well. I have a 2022 2800BH with 135W solar factory installed. I am wondering if I need to NOT use the installed battery disconnect in order to have the solar charge controller feed the batteries. I know this is a very new set-up for GD. Does anyone have experience with it?

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    IMO you need to physically check how the solar is wired in order to be sure. On my Momentum, the OEM solar battery charger is wired up directly to the battery, so turning the Battery Disconnect Switch to "OFF" doesn't affect it.

Logically you should be able to turn the Battery Disconnect Switch to "OFF" and still charge the batteries, but don't take that for granted...check it and KNOW.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan and Deb View Post
    I suspect most of us just have the one 12v battery as installed at the dealership. The simplest way to be sure that there is no drain is to disconnect the negative battery terminal at the battery. I have been a certified auto tech for 40yrs and a marine tech in Ontario Canada. We only disconnected the negative on boat batteries for the winter and I have seen a good many 10yr old batteries still able to start the boat in the spring. I have also seen a good many batteries killed by leaving so called trickle chargers, battery tenders and solar chargers hooked up over the winter. My current(non GD but in the process of aGD purchase) battery is a 2015 and still tests good.
    I agree that poor charging techniques have killed more batteries than most anything. How do you feel about batteries maintained on good quality chargers/converters like those made by Progressive Dynamics? They appear to have a good charging profile, in that they are accurate in their charging voltages, and have a periodic "heavy charge" to prevent lead sulfation.
    Last edited by dryfly; 12-30-2021 at 07:44 PM.
    2020 Reflection 273MK

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dryfly View Post
    I agree that poor charging techniques has killed more batteries than most anything. How do you feel about batteries maintained on good quality chargers/converters like those made by Progressive Dynamics? They appear to have a good charging profile, in that they are accurate in their charging voltages, and have a periodic "heavy charge" to prevent lead sulfation.
    In my previous mh I had a PD 9145. It did an absolute excellent job maintaining my batteries. My batteries were going on 8 years old when I sold the mh two summers ago. I keep in touch with the new owners, and they told me the batteries finally went this summer.

So I do believe that a good charger and charging profile help batteries last longer.

My mh was always connected to 15 amp shore power at home. We ran the genny while driving, and typically boondocked two weeks every summer. Ran genny every couple/three days for a few hours and batteries were fine. We are not big 120v people when boondocking.

Bill
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Older thread, newer question. I never use the OEM disconnect on purpose anyway as I installed my own. After I picked up my rig from service, I was surprised to see that the Lippert leveling system had power and worked even though the OEM disconnect had been turned off by the dealer. Is this normal? Just curious is all.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Rolling Along
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, that's the way they're wired.

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    59 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The leveling system uses no power at rest so it doesn't hurt to have it wired directly to the battery.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123