User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

There's a Leak Somewhere

New owner of a used 2017 Reflection 337 RLS and new to the world of RVing.

I took possession of this camper from a family member. While giving it a good cleaning and inspection I discovered it has a soft spot on the floor of the rear driver’s side. I’ve done some searching on the net and this forum and don't think I found anything helpful. As a newbie to the RV world, maybe I just don’t know the right terms to search for or didn't realize I did see the answer to my problem.

This is where I think the problem is coming from. The rear side slide out seal on the big kitchen/entertainment center slide out is the only one on the camper that’s rolled in. I have manually flipped it to face out, like all the others, but it still rolls back in when the slide out is moved in and back out.

Also, all the top corners, of all three side outs, look like the top seal is glued to the side seal in each corner, except the one mentioned above.

I believe this is where the leak is coming from. The seal looks like it’s in good shape, the rubber feels like all the others. It has no cuts, rough surfaces or discolored areas. Nor does the sidewall of the slide out. However, if it has sat rolled in for too long a time, maybe it just won’t sit properly or tight enough to seal properly.

The roof looks to be in good shape, there is no water damage on the ceilings, walls or cabinets. Only this floor area. it's stored with the slides in and it has never been covered or stored indoors.

When we looked at it the first time, before taking possession, we did notice that the slides may not have been completely retracted. I though the bottom of the slides, especially the big one, looked like it was sticking out farther than it should on the bottom. However, in searching that issue on the net, I found many instances of this being discussed and that it's common. But when we closed it up to take it for a road test, they were all in nice and tight.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be most appreciated.

Once I solve the leaking problem, then I’ll have to figure out how to replace the soft spot on the floor.
    Last edited by Trainman327; 09-27-2021 at 01:51 PM.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The seals that you a describing as "flipping" are wiper seals - they're not the ones that seal the slide when it's all the way in our out. The bulb seals do that job. If a slide wasn't all the way in, the bulb seal would not have mated against the sidewall of the RV and would have allowed rain to enter. With the slide all the way in, look to see if the bulb seals are all the way up against the slide cut-out frame on the RV wall. If not, the slide needs adjusting.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like your slide needs adjustment and a seal replacement. A good mobile technician can do this for you. If the slid remained open with a rolled wiper also torn from adherence with the header piece, water could have certainly come in. Nonetheless, pictures of the area would help us help you diagnose. Important details would be if the location is under a window, at the rear corner, etc.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rob,

Thank you so much for the information and insight. Learning the terminology and function of the parts is an important part of the process. I believe I understand the seal design more now. I also didn't consider an inner seal for when the slide is out. Looks like I have something else to inspect. As well as check further how the bulb seals seat on the outer side of the slide.

This trailer is normally stored on another family members property, where it has full hookups for water, power and septic. We went to look at it prior to discussing taking possession. We were concerned with the gap at the bottom of the rear slides when we first looked at the trailer. Seeing how the slides seat, now that I'm the one controlling them, I think the previous owner may have caused the leak by not fully retracting the slide. I do notice, when I bring them all the way in, they tilt up slightly in the last few seconds of retraction and the gap we noticed when we first looked at it is not there.

We are supposed to get some heavy rain today and I can watch to see if there is any water infiltration, with the slides both in and out.
    Last edited by Trainman327; 09-28-2021 at 05:02 AM.

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you very much for the reply.

Unfortunately, no mobile technician will look at the trailer prior to winterization. The two RV places near me couldn't even do my safety inspection until mid November, let alone a repair. I had to have my regular auto repair shop do the inspection. I will have to resolve this issue myself. I believe Rob's reply above gives me more to consider.

This soft spot is near no windows and there is no other damage or decolorization anywhere in the surround area. It's localized directly under the rear corner of the slide. The water pooled around the foot of the sofa right by this location. I believe this was due to the slight bow the weight of the sofa puts on the floor and with the water sitting in that spot it created a depression for the water to congregate and pool. That may be to my advantage. The soft spot on the floor in localized to a 8" wide by 14" long area, centered on that sofa foot.

It's unfortunate that the RV places are so booked up. My Mother-in-law has a motorhome with a malfunctioning slide and it has been sitting in the shop for 2 months waiting for the repair. I don't know if it's a parts issue or just a backup in repairs scheduled, but they are frustrated as heck that winter is coming and they can't hit the road to go south.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Trainman327

Also check the caulking around the rear brake light on the driver's side... remove it and check for leakage damage in that area. That light is behind your sofas side cabinet so you might not see any visible wall damage.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thank you for the reply. I will give the rear light a good check. We did remove the sofa, to see how bad the soft spot on the floor is, it doesn't extend back towards the rear wall. The back edge of the soft spot is about 4 inches behind the front sofa foot. It's actually extends forward to in front of the slide. But hey, I know little about camper designs and where issues arise. Any help is most appreciated.

I've been a waterman most of my life. Show me an issue on a boat, and I can tell you where the problem most likely is. With this RV I am learning from scratch.

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainman327 View Post
    Rob,

Thank you so much for the information and insight. Learning the terminology and function of the parts is an important part of the process. I believe I understand the seal design more now. I also didn't consider an inner seal for when the slide is out. Looks like I have something else to inspect. As well as check further how the bulb seals seat on the outer side of the slide.

This trailer is normally stored on another family members property, where it has full hookups for water, power and septic. We went to look at it prior to discussing taking possession. We were concerned with the gap at the bottom of the rear slides when we first looked at the trailer. Seeing how the slides seat, now that I'm the one controlling them, I think the previous owner may have caused the leak by not fully retracting the slide. I do notice, when I bring them all the way in, they tilt up slightly in the last few seconds of retraction and the gap we noticed when we first looked at it is not there.

We are supposed to get some heavy rain today and I can watch to see if there is any water infiltration, with the slides both in and out.
    Forum tip: use "Reply With Quote" (to the right of "Reply") as I have done here. The person to whom you are responding will get a notification and everyone else will know who you're talking to/about.

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The seals that you a describing as "flipping" are wiper seals - they're not the ones that seal the slide when it's all the way in our out. The bulb seals do that job. If a slide wasn't all the way in, the bulb seal would not have mated against the sidewall of the RV and would have allowed rain to enter. With the slide all the way in, look to see if the bulb seals are all the way up against the slide cut-out frame on the RV wall. If not, the slide needs adjusting.

Rob
    Lots of time looking at this today, in the rain, with a hose and with high powered lights at night. There was no water infiltration or light shining through the seals. Now that I understand the sealing system, I think this damage is the result of the slide not being fully retracted or some of the tree detritus I cleaned off the top of the slides prevented a good seal. There were leaves, pine needles and some tiny sticks on the tops of the slides, when I opened it up and started cleaning it off.

The property this is stored on is adjacent to forested wildlife land on three sides. It's also only three miles, as the crow flies, from the beach in Delaware. Tall trees, mostly pines, are right up to the property line. There are a few oak trees as well. Although non are over the camper, I'll be darned if I don't hear acorns hit the thing on a windy day. Being near the beach it was used occasionally for long weekends, by the previous owners. If the crap that falls on the slides isn't cleaned off before they are retracted, I can easily see how the seals would not do their job.

Now to figure out how to repair the soft spot on the floor.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Trainman327

Can you post any pictures of the floor in that area?
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast