User Tag List

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
    Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thor, Winnabego, etc have all posted record profits this year even with all the shortages of supplies. If that doesn't tell you that the RV business is a rip off I don't know what is. Where else can you walk into a store and haggle for 30% off? Certainly not an auto dealership. Where else do you spend $20K-$140K and only get a 1 year warranty?
    What else do you spend $20K-$140K on that you have to replace certain items because they've failed prematurely or they're known to fail and could cause damage? What else depreciates faster than an RV? Maybe a boat.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    28 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Customer service, in my experience, has been pretty abysmal. That said, I'm going to disagree with others; compared the cost, the CS experience really isn't that bad. If you want to compare to a boat, sure, maybe (with some high end brands) service is better, but, OMG, do you pay for it. And the depreciation on a boat will make your head spin. Oh, yeah, and the components on a boat are just ridiculously priced (10 dollars for a heat shrink connector? Sure, and you need 6 of them..). And, for all that money, you get a product that MIGHT be a little better than your typical RV.

Now, granted, boats live in a much tougher environment than an RV. Waves are huge, the pounding you take out there makes the worst road in America look like a drive down a salt flat. Salt water is basically like dipping your stuff in battery acid.

But the costs? ROFL, I have a friend who after a day on the water needed a new outdrive. His old one was recently rebuilt (for some 5 figure amount), but they didn't do it right and this time water got in and it was done. Cost to replace? More than most GD RVs cost brand new. And that's just an outdrive (he had 2 of them on that boat). When the engines let go, and they will (see: salt water/battery acid), get ready for a real mind boggler. Again, a "typical" repair bill on a boat with a similar amount of living space to an RV will often cost more than the whole RV does brand new. Oh, and if it's a really big boat and using diesel engines? Yeah, hold on for dear life.

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by goducks14 View Post
    Where else can you walk into a store and haggle for 30% off? Certainly not an auto dealership.
    Well, for my Dodge 3500Cummins MSRP of $83k, I got it for $63k...thats getting close.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In what year.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk
    2019 GD Momentum 397TH
    Considering a 395
    99 Ford F-250, 7.3, 6-speed.
    22 Ford F-450
    Former Fulltimers, now just using toy hauler to go to Motocross Races and Mountain Bike parks.
    Va Beach, VA

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234