Thread: Serious Mess Up

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    90 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Susan_S View Post
    Hi
    Thanks for your kind response and for responding at all. I realize I was venting and sorry for that. We made such a stupid mistake. I need to get over it and do something.

What did happen is that the side panel at the about the level of the wheel is dented in and scratched along the way to the rear at which point the lower part of the rear panel is detached from the side of the RV. Ugh.

Maybe a mobile service will not do anything for bodywork however maybe they have a better fix than Gorilla Tape. :-)

Our biggest concern is that more damage will occur once we begin to move it, however we have another son who is in Chicago, birthday tomorrow, we're going to see. That being said we're also not that far from Indiana and Grand Design and wondered if they had a quick fix. Trouble is they seem so busy that we can't get through. It's like everything else, people and parts are hard to come by these days.

Thanks again,

Sue

Dan posted this morning that Grand Design's phones are down. He suggested to use [email protected]
    Marcy & Gary
    2014 Grand Design - Reflection 303RLS
    2022 GMC 3500 Denali Duramax Longbed SRW
    2015 GMC Denali 3500 - Retired
    2003 F350 - retired
    Michigan
    We're in trouble now, the dog are bloggin'!
    https://3dogsandatrailer.wordpress.com/

Florida and Vermont and anywhere in between
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi and thanks again, Yes they were down yesterday but we did get through today. I'm so late to respond because the wifi in our truck went down and finally on star was able to fix the problem. Ugh. When it rains.

Grand Design was booked three months out but they did advise us of some service centers near them. We were lucky that on the third try we were able to find a center that would look at the rig for us so we're on the way.

Although I'll get back to each of you thanks so much for all your help and advice. Sorry I couldn't respond sooner.

Sue
    Susan (and Alan, Oliver, and Shiloh).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Ynot4me2,

Thank you for your kind words. I do realize that but at the moment it's discouraging and embarrassing. I'm not sure what forum I was in recently but someone told the guy who wrote in "you're not handy enough to have an RV so just go to a hotel.: I was furious because that is so bullish and just not at all in keeping with what I think the purpose of these forums is. I guess I had my shields up waiting for the first punch. Sorry about that.

We are on the way to a facility in Indiana near GD. The guy I spoke with seems willing to get us on the road safely and I'm all for that.

Thank you again for your kind words!!!

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Hoopy,
    I thought I responded to you last night but have had serious internet issues as well so.... seems it's not here. I did want to thank you and yes I agree that my information was not thorough. Sorry I was venting and should have been more specific. We hit a pole that was low to the ground on the left side of the vehicle while being guided into the RV park by some very nasty individual. He didn't even give us a shout out. It dented and scraped the side from about the wheels to the rear at which time it tore off the rear panel, not completely, but enough to bend it outward and disconnect the lighting wires. Ugh.

I managed to get it at least held in place somewhat with some tape which is almost comical now.

That being said, GD who we finally reached today are booked out through January. So we did find a place right near their Middlebury facility who will try to get us on the road in a bit of a safer manner. We just arrived there and they are going to bend back the panel and get the lights reconnected ( I hope).

Thanks for responding and for your advice. Sorry about my vent. It all seems a bit less miserable in the light of day and with the help of great people.

Thanks again,

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hope all goes well with the repair and baby shower. Quick advice for future...since you mentioned Gorilla Tape, look for a roll of Eternabond Tape (or similar). If you ever catch a branch on the roof and have a hole to patch, or another situation like you just had, this stuff will stick. It will suck to remove for sure, but when you need something strong, you can't go wrong with it. It's like having extra fuses, hose clamps, etc., you be so glad you have it if you ever need it. Best of luck!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Sue. Sorry to hear about the accident. Also sorry I can’t help, but I feel your pain. We are on our first long trip to see my aging father in Maryland. Along the way, I destroyed our slider hitch head and getting that taken care of was a real pain. Safety is more important than anything. We were told we may be able to tow safely, but I won’t take the risk. If someone was hurt or killed by my trailer coming off the truck I don’t know how I’d live with myself. After finally getting a new hitch head we got to Pennsylvania and scraped a tree in the campground. I can’t believe they gave us that site, but it’s my own fault. We are on our way back and now in Michigan City, IN. Our refrigerator also failed and can’t be repaired. The camper is 6 months old. We are an hour from Grand Design and they wouldn’t give me the time of day. I hope things work out for you. Prayers for you and the family.
    Mike & Linda
    303RLS
    2013 F250 Turbo Diesel Crew Cab

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Susan_S it sounds like your follow up description that you may be lucky and only have a largely cosmetic repair. To me, it sounds like you snagged the aluminum skirt, perhaps tore away some edge trim too. If so, not difficult to replace at all. The hardest part will be getting the material but your coach should be able to be stabilized for road travel. So, if the pole/post did not get into the structure, it's all a remove and replace affair.

Not every online community is hostile or aggressive. Most of us long timers are here because we like to help.

You have learned a lesson the hard way, and it will stick with you. That lesson, to NEVER accept guidance advice from someone unknown to you is salient whether a recreational hauler or commercial driver! If you are not comfortable with a polite thank you, but no thank you, just learn to smile and focus on task. For instance, Nikki and I arrived last Friday night at 9:30pm to a heavily wooded, primitive State Park campground requiring very tight maneuvering into our site. A very nice do-gooder couple came out with lantern and wanted to help. However, they came out of a rather small tagalong and clearly were not familiar with how a 5er pivots or looking at all sides and above. I thanked them for the help, but it was really my stopping, GOALS (get out and look), and own adjusting that allowed me to thread the needle through the trees.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thank You everyone for all your time and energy.

Hi All,
    Well, it's been a bit of a crazy two days and I'm going to chill out with a cucumber and mint Vodka and Soda and think of better days and enjoy being back in the RV. :-)

I wanted to reply earlier but I had so many connectivity issues that I wasn't even sure if my posts were submitting. Ugh. I think some did and some did not.

I do want to thank you all for taking the time and energy to try to help. I'm sorry if I was not specific and if I was a bit emotional. And of the two of us I was the calm one. :-)

Grand Design was booked through January and try as I might I had no luck. They did however recommend several places to call and the third was a charm. Allegiant RV is almost right next to GD. It's a small kinda Mom and Pop RV mostly service and a bit of sales but they agreed to see us.

We left the RV there for 1 and 1/2 hours and except for the scratch and dent on the lower side (for which they'd have had to order the panel) it almost looks as if nothing happened. I do say almost. Still, from the rear of the unit being ripped from the foundation and bent and sticking out to now reattached to the side like it was never apart is amazing to me. They repaired the lights that were busted and the turn signal that stopped working and we went from devasted to elated.

So again, Thanks everyone. It's sort of the concern and the kindness that y'all showed that actually was the biggest boost. I'm not sure what fix I may have expected from you all but the caring was the best fix.

Thanks again!!!!

Sue (Alan and Shiloh and Oliver also say Thanks!).
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Geotex1,
    Thank you, yes you're right, hard lessons are often the best learned too. And again I apologize. You're right. People are not always mean and sometimes it's one's own attitude that sets the pace so for that I'm sorry too.

Thank you for your story. It's not the first time that something's gone wrong because we trusted another's judgment over our own. In the past we were lucky that we caught it before it fell apart but not this time.

You are also right that a lot of the damage is cosmetic. A service provider in Indiana attached the back panel and it's fine. The side with the scratch and dent will need to be replaced somewhere along the way but it's not horrible either.

Thank you again, I appreciate your help.

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dakota View Post
    Hi Sue. Sorry to hear about the accident. Also sorry I can’t help, but I feel your pain. We are on our first long trip to see my aging father in Maryland. Along the way, I destroyed our slider hitch head and getting that taken care of was a real pain. Safety is more important than anything. We were told we may be able to tow safely, but I won’t take the risk. If someone was hurt or killed by my trailer coming off the truck I don’t know how I’d live with myself. After finally getting a new hitch head we got to Pennsylvania and scraped a tree in the campground. I can’t believe they gave us that site, but it’s my own fault. We are on our way back and now in Michigan City, IN. Our refrigerator also failed and can’t be repaired. The camper is 6 months old. We are an hour from Grand Design and they wouldn’t give me the time of day. I hope things work out for you. Prayers for you and the family.
    Hi Dakota,

I first have to tell you about the place that did give us the time of day. Allegiant. The address is 52083 State Road 13, Middlebury, IN 46540. Randy Borkholder is the Operations Manager and the number is 574-825-3303

I called several other places after GD said they were booked through January. This Op Ma was so gracious on the phone. The owner of the company actually helped in the process and when I saw how they had repaired our issue I was amazed!

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles too. It's a real catch 22 (the RV). the convenience is amazing but the responsibility is daunting. I agree with you that harming anyone because of an operator error would be devasting.

I really hope that you can get your work done on your RV. I hope if you call Allegiant your experience is as good as ours was.

Best wishes,

Sue
    2020 Solitude 380 FL-R

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast