User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winegard 360+ and GW1000

I have been reading the various topics and just want to make sure I have this correct before I order the GW1000. I am somewhat tech savvy but routers, etc can tie me in a ball of fur. I am trying to wrap my mind around all of this.

What I would like to do is state what I think I have learned and have you network pro’s correct me please.

1. Winegard 360+ is just an HD tv antenna if you don’t have the gw1000, correct?

2. The GW1000 is basically a WiFi router similar to what I have here at home, except instead of taking a hardwired signal (my fiber optic) it take input from cellular or local WiFi to create a WiFi in my RV, correct?

3. I currently have an iPad Pro added to my verizon plan, it has the esim and I plan to disable the esim and get a regular SIM card that I can switch back and forth from my iPad Pro to the GW1000. I don’t really want to add another item to my verizon for now.

4. I assume that the 360Plus main benefits with the gw1000 are the fact that 360 is MIMO for the cellular (no booster) and that both antennas are outside, hence a better signal?

5. Are there better options that I may not have considered.

Thank you for your time. I am sure I will have more questions as I go.

Tim
    Last edited by Alaska_av8r; 09-28-2021 at 08:37 AM.
    2021 Reflection 150 295RL
    2018 GMC 2500HD Denali Diesel 4x4

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    1. Yes. I believe that without the router, the cell antenna up there isn't doing anything. We camped once before installing the router at a place that has spotty cell reception. I hoped the cell antenna would help, but no, it didn't.

2. That is an accurate description, IMO.

3. I thought I'd do the same except with my mom's cell sim card (she uses ZERO data!), but ran into two issues. One, I work from home (or work from camper) and we used up her data quickly. And two, it's not easy getting that sim card in and out. Once it slipped out of my fingers and got lost inside of the router. Had to unplug it all and take it apart to get to it. After we gauged our usage, I added a line to my plan for 10 bucks just to have a full time sim card for the router.

4. I like the all in oneness of it. I suppose I could just use my phone as a hotspot, but that's not always feasible for us. Aside from the data usage being a little higher than I expected, it worked great. Super fast.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello -
    Yes, you are essentially correct on all counts. The Winegard 360+ antenna is a broadcast TV antenna which has a WiFi antenna and dual cellular antennas (MIMO) as well. Without the router attached, the WiFi and Cellular antennas are just along for the ride. One interesting thing about Winegard - they purchased WiFi Ranger about a year or so ago and I read that they will be offering the WiFi Ranger Osprey router (along with controlling software) sometime in 2022. If you can wait, that would be the router to go for IMHO.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikestar View Post
    Hello -
    Yes, you are essentially correct on all counts. The Winegard 360+ antenna is a broadcast TV antenna which has a WiFi antenna and dual cellular antennas (MIMO) as well. Without the router attached, the WiFi and Cellular antennas are just along for the ride. One interesting thing about Winegard - they purchased WiFi Ranger about a year or so ago and I read that they will be offering the WiFi Ranger Osprey router (along with controlling software) sometime in 2022. If you can wait, that would be the router to go for IMHO.
    So, for layman's sake... The green and yellow leads coming from the 360+ are the MIMO antenna wires? I am asking, as I already have a mimo router and would rather just hook up the antenna wires to it instead of blowing $300++ on the Gateway.

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The red wire is WiFi. The yellow and green are the 4G LTE for the SIM card.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You said 3. I currently have an iPad Pro added to my verizon plan, it has the esim and I plan to disable the esim and get a regular SIM card that I can switch back and forth from my iPad Pro to the GW1000. I don’t really want to add another item to my verizon for now.

That sim moved to the router may or may not work. Is it the same form-factor? Is the GW1000 an authorized device on whatevere network your iPad uses?
    Gil 'n Jenn
    Marble Falls, TX
    320MKS (coming out of a Class A)
    2970W / 800AH Victron & Battleborn
    F-350 (SRW, 7.3 Godzilla)

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So my new 2600rb came w/o radio & speakers. One salesperson told me that the winegard unit on the roof was a wifi booster so i should be able to get utube on the t.v. and sirus on my phone no problem.
    True or just a line of B.S.

Seasoned Camper
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It depends.

If there is an 8"X8" box under the antenna, sticking down about an inch, that is the router.

If it is a little 2"X2" flush-mounted plate under the antenna, you don't have one.

Without the router, it is just a TV antenna.
    2023 Reflection 315RLTS
    2017 Ford F-350 Crew Cab Short Bed SRW, 6.7L Diesel
    Hensley Swift Arrow

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_av8r View Post
    I have been reading the various topics and just want to make sure I have this correct before I order the GW1000. I am somewhat tech savvy but routers, etc can tie me in a ball of fur. I am trying to wrap my mind around all of this.

What I would like to do is state what I think I have learned and have you network pro’s correct me please.

1. Winegard 360+ is just an HD tv antenna if you don’t have the gw1000, correct?

2. The GW1000 is basically a WiFi router similar to what I have here at home, except instead of taking a hardwired signal (my fiber optic) it take input from cellular or local WiFi to create a WiFi in my RV, correct?

3. I currently have an iPad Pro added to my verizon plan, it has the esim and I plan to disable the esim and get a regular SIM card that I can switch back and forth from my iPad Pro to the GW1000. I don’t really want to add another item to my verizon for now.

4. I assume that the 360Plus main benefits with the gw1000 are the fact that 360 is MIMO for the cellular (no booster) and that both antennas are outside, hence a better signal?

5. Are there better options that I may not have considered.

Thank you for your time. I am sure I will have more questions as I go.

Tim
    I like our 360+/GW1000 setup. I had an extra AT&T SIM card so used that without any issues. I've had both TVs streaming movies and my laptop on without lagging just to try it. Nice thing about this setup is that it is 12V. I bought a $30 WiFi thermometer to monitor the temperature inside the RV for the dogs. If the RV lost power and A/C units shutdown, I can still monitor the temp on my phone. The GW1000 signal is pretty strong. I have to remember that when I get home. My laptop at the house can be slow before I realize it is hitting the Solitude out in the driveway 100' away versus my home wifi!
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually