User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overnight stops

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Red face Overnight stops

Ok, coming from a 230RL, overnight stops (not at a designated campsite or KOA), on the way to our designation was not really a possibility because you couldn't access the bathroom or bedroom because the slide in the 230 blocked everything. So, now my thinking changes with the 303 that I can stop at a Pilot, Walmart (with permission) or some other places (not sure where yet).

So, just that I get this straight, I can now use everything in the camper off the battery, lights, water bathroom and bedroom......if I want/need more, I will need a generator.

How do you secure a generator at night.....bed of the truck? I still have not chosen a gen yet and not sure about the 100lb'r that rides in the truck bed (can't steel that) or the 45lb'r that can be stolen......hmmm.

Anyway, this post wasn't really a question but an excitement post that I pick up my 303 this week.....yippie. I have always had to think ahead on planning for my trips, where we will stay as a hop, calling and making reservations.....now, don't have to.

I want to say thanks to everyone on this awesome site. I have learned so much from everyone. Although I don't reply to everyone, I read and learn. My questions sometimes, even to me to be so 101, but we as novice campers need the info.

I'm sure I've had the experienced campers scratching there heads at my rambling....appreciate your patience with me.

Thanks again.
    Ray
    Msgt Ray (Ret) and Margie Parker
    2022 GD 303RLS w/Gen-Y gooseneck
    2020 Ram 2500 HD Cummins 6.7/3.73 gears

Big Traveler
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe using a gen in a Walmart lot is frowned upon. Not unheard of, but considered poor form.
    Usually when we 'Walmart' it, we are pulling in late. Don't pop the slides, and leave relatively early. Make a point of going and buying something from the store seeing as they are letting us overnight for free.

Others may have different opinions.
    Last edited by Scott'n'Wendy; 09-29-2021 at 05:57 AM.
    2018 Dodge 3500 6.7 Cummins SRW w/Aisin
    2021 Reflection 303RLS
    New to RV'ing since 1997

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post
    I believe using a gen in a Walmart lot is frowned upon. Not unheard of, but considered poor form.
    Usually when we 'Walmart' it, we are pulling in late. Don't pop the slides, and leave relatively early. Make a point of going and buying something from the store seeing as they are letting us overnight for free.

Others Amy have different opinions.
    Thanks Scott.....good advice.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott'n'Wendy View Post

Others Amy have different opinions.
    Ps Scott......that's helps me to postpone buying a gen right now!!! Yippieee

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Rgpracer

We carry a Honda 2000 in the front storage compartment of our 337RLS. While it's not always a good idea to use it while overnighting in most instances there are times when it's ok... but only if truly needed. When we've had to use ours we made sure to park as far away from everyone as possible and we shut it back down as soon as it was no longer needed. On the 337 the truck and RV need to be almost perfectly straight in line with each other to drop the tailgate and get the generator out for use. I then place the generator in the rear drivers side of the truck bed and secure it with a chain and lock to the tie down point in that corner. Once I have the generator running and the RV plugged in I close the tailgate and turn the truck at a sharp enough angle so that the tailgate can no longer be opened. In this location with the generator under the front end of the 5th wheel it's extremely hard for someone to try and make a quick snatch a run. You must also make sure the generator exhaust is facing forward. I also keep a 2'x4'x½" piece of foil faced rigid insulation board that I placed on that corner of the truck bed to keep any heat and exhaust from rising straight up. Since my Honda only has a 20amp output on it I purchased a 50amp twistloc replacement female plug and made up a 15' cord using 12/3AWG cable for when I run just on generator... this way my big heavy 36' 50amp cord is safely locked away.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock With Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBY4GPC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by IBEW Sparky View Post
    @Rgpracer

We carry a Honda 2000 in the front storage compartment of our 337RLS. While it's not always a good idea to use it while overnighting in most instances there are times when it's ok... but only if truly needed. When we've had to use ours we made sure to park as far away from everyone as possible and we shut it back down as soon as it was no longer needed. On the 337 the truck and RV need to be almost perfectly straight in line with each other to drop the tailgate and get the generator out for use. I then place the generator in the rear drivers side of the truck bed and secure it with a chain and lock to the tie down point in that corner. Once I have the generator running and the RV plugged in I close the tailgate and turn the truck at a sharp enough angle so that the tailgate can no longer be opened. In this location with the generator under the front end of the 5th wheel it's extremely hard for someone to try and make a quick snatch a run. You must also make sure the generator exhaust is facing forward. I also keep a 2'x4'x½" piece of foil faced rigid insulation board that I placed on that corner of the truck bed to keep any heat and exhaust from rising straight up. Since my Honda only has a 20amp output on it I purchased a 50amp twistloc replacement female plug and made up a 15' cord using 12/3AWG cable for when I run just on generator... this way my big heavy 36' 50amp cord is safely locked away.

Kohree 50 AMP RV Power Cord Cover Twist Lock With Boot Inlet Locking Plug Protector Locking Shore Connector Replacement, 50A 125/250VAC https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07VBY4GPC...ing=UTF8&psc=1
    That is excellent Bill.....I appreciate it a lot.

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I got this idea from another member on here who bolted this on his rear bumper. I plan on doing the same one day. Geny is completely secured, not in the truck bed and real close to the rigs connection.
    https://kshmarine.com/custom-generator-boxes/

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh and currently, mine is chained in the truck bed.

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk
    Steph & Lise
    2019 F150 Lariat 2.7 EB
    2020 Imagine XLS 22MLE

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's just me, but I pay the $50 and stay at a KOA. To me, whole lot less work and better peace of mind.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    It's just me, but I pay the $50 and stay at a KOA. To me, whole lot less work and better peace of mind.
    That's not always an option... and I haven't seen a KOA for $50 in a few years.
    Last edited by IBEW Sparky; 09-29-2021 at 07:08 AM.
    Bill & Colleen ~ Schwenksville, Pa
    2019 Reflection 337RLS
    2006 GMC Sierra 3500 8.1L V-8
    Firestone Ride-Rite Air Bags
    Front Stabilizer Bar
    Rear Anti Sway Bar

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast