Thread: Batteries!!!!!

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries!!!!!

We have a new 150 Reflection 260RD - brought it home
    one month ago - having issues with the battery - won't run the fridge on LP due to Lo DC and we had no luck lifting the stabilizers due to Low DC - when we took it out for an overnight test run - we contacted the dealer and have requested a new battery - Have any of you set up two batteries in this model? We used to have a JayCo travel trailer and we set up two batteries and it worked great - our dealer is not very helpful and unfortunately my Hubby is getting older and Im trying to learn a lot fast - Id appreciate any info you could give me on the battery issue - Thanks so much - Kathy

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Are you plugged in to shore power?
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We had to plug in to get the levelers to retract - and should't the fridge work on propane while on only battery? Thats what we always did with Jayco trailer and our old Class A = fridge just runs on LP while traveling

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    42 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Herdindog View Post
    We had to plug in to get the levelers to retract - and should't the fridge work on propane while on only battery? Thats what we always did with Jayco trailer and our old Class A = fridge just runs on LP while traveling
    It sounds like your battery is dead. Need to have the rig plugged in for a day to charge.
    John & Kathy
    2014 F250 Lariat FX4 6.2L SBCC
    2014 Reflection 303RLS
    SW Indiana

Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Batteries!!!!!

Hi Kathy,

The fridge needs 12v to run on propane. It needs the 12 volt for the control board and interior lights. No 12v no fridge. It does sound like your battery is dead.
    2019 GMC 3500 SRW Sierra Denali Duramax
    2020 Reflection 315RLTS

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    26 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a new 150 Reflection 260RD - brought it home
    one month ago - having issues with the battery - won't run the fridge on LP due to Lo DC and we had no luck lifting the stabilizers due to Low DC - when we took it out for an overnight test run - we contacted the dealer and have requested a new battery - Have any of you set up two batteries in this model? We used to have a JayCo travel trailer and we set up two batteries and it worked great - our dealer is not very helpful and unfortunately my Hubby is getting older and Im trying to learn a lot fast - Id appreciate any info you could give me on the battery issue - Thanks so much - Kathy
    Hi Kathy. The freebie batteries that come from the dealers are notoriously cheap - they have to provide them, not the manufacturer. I strongly suggest just purchasing a new one. You could go with a flooded cell like the one you have but with more capacity, that is the cheapest route. But that requires you to check the water level in the battery as part of routine maintenance.

You might step up to an AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat). This is still a lead-acid battery but requires no maintenance, is less prone to vibration and freezing, increased longevity, etc. If you have a Batteries Plus around you, that's a good place to go for advice. If you can take your trailer, they would also swap it for you - make sure to ask about that before you purchase. Of course you can go anywhere that sells batteries for advice. I have 4 Duracell RV/Marine AGM batteries in my boat and they've performed well. Look for one that has larger Amp Hour capacity; likely 90AH - 105AH vs 25AH - 35AH that your dealer may have given you.

The final option is Lithium, but that comes with high up front cost and requires other upgrades such as the charger. I'd just go straight to AGM - my last set of boat batteries lasted 8 years (with noticeable degradation starting at 6 years, I just eeked out two additional years before investing in 4 new batteries). Hope this helps!
    Chad
    2023 23LDE 965W Solar, Victron Multiplus, Solar Controllers, Cerbo GX, 4x280AH DIY Lithium Batteries, SeeLevel Tank Monitoring, Shock Absorbers (Replaced 2022 22MLE)
    2022 F350 6.7L Superduty, Carbonized Gray, Ultimate Lariat Pkg, 4WD, Crew Cab, 160" Wheelbase, 3.55EL Rear End, 3566# Payload
    Adaptive Steering, Ultimate Camera Pkg, 20" Wheels, 397 Amp Dual Alternator, ARE Topper (Replaced 2004 F150)

Mentioned
    136 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you keep the camper plugged in while at home? If you dont keep it plugged in, the battery will definitely die within a month. Even if you use the battery disconnect switch, there are parasitic loads wired in before the switch. Also, if plugged in and you accidentally hit the battery disconnec switch, it will not charge if plugged in. If you search the forum, a lot of people either disconnect the battery while in storage or install a true disconnect switch. You can easily add another battery, just keep in mind that the battery box vent will need to tie in to the compartment vent and there is a bottom vent as well. The only other thing to ensure is correct would be wiring the new battery, other than that nothing to really worry about.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    2023 Momentum 398M-R
    2023 Ford F-450

SOLD - 2021 Reflection 311BHS
    SOLD - 2017 Momentum 399TH

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A buddy of mine just bought 2 group 27 Interstate (maintenance free) batteries for $120 each yesterday...not to bad.
    Location - Wherever the road takes us...Full-timers
    2015 Momentum 380
    2019 Ram Dually

Long Hauler
    Mentioned
    61 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Best bet would be to A) make sure the battery disconnect switch disconnects ALL the power draw, some do and some don't. You really do have to check. Mine does, the old one didn't. B) Load test the battery before springing for a new one. C) The size/number of your battery bank depends on what kind of RVing you do. We've always gotten by fine with a single 12V battery, but we do have an onboard generator, and nearly always stay at electric sites. If you stay often at non-electric spots, you might need to upgrade from a single battery, among other things.
    Howard and Peggy
    2019 Momentum 351M, and 2018 RAM Cummins dually 6-speed.
    His: 1999 Honda Interceptor
    Hers: 2013 Spyder ST-S

Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sounds like the "disconnect" switch is in disconnect position... so not charging battery and allowing 12v to fridge.
    Jim (& Sharon)
    2015 GD Momentum 385TH - SOLD
    For Sale - 2015 Ford F-350 DRW 4x4 Lariat w/ AirLift bags, Titan 65 gal. OEM replacement fuel tank.
    The toy:
    2017 RZR XP 1000 EPS SE