Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

385th ramp hinges

I have a 2015 385th so far a great rig tows great with my toys in the back but got a problem the ramp hinges are pulling away from the
    mounting the threads in the steel are stripping (not to much to thread there) I was able to get some washers and nylock nut on 3 bolts two on the outside drivers side and one on pass. side hinges but the ones in the middle just can't get to them,

is any one else having this problem all I load is a car the size of a side by side and the same weight or less

thanks for any help

Mark Landon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_1655.jpg   IMG_1762.jpg  
    2015 385
    2012 Dodge 3500
    Meyers Tow'd (Tiger Tow'd)
    Meyers Tow'd (Norra Race Tow'd)
    1923 VW mid engine T bucket
    Bigdog Mastiff

Manufacturer
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Tow'd hauler View Post
    I have a 2015 385th so far a great rig tows great with my toys in the back but got a problem the ramp hinges are pulling away from the
    mounting the threads in the steel are stripping (not to much to thread there) I was able to get some washers and nylock nut on 3 bolts two on the outside drivers side and one on pass. side hinges but the ones in the middle just can't get to them,

is any one else having this problem all I load is a car the size of a side by side and the same weight or less

thanks for any help

Mark Landon
    Hi Mark (@Tow'd hauler),

The hinges in the middle are blocked by the dovetail storage box. Two options: larger diameter self tapping screw or drill through storage box from outside at hinge, install long bolt with nut (in storage box). Would require spacer between box and bumper plate.

Best regards,
    ~ Janice
    Mailing & shipping address: Grand Design RV, Attn: Customer Support, 13868 CR 4, Bristol IN 46507
    Hours: Monday - Friday (8:00 am - 5:00 pm EST, closed holidays)

- Phones: Grand Design RV Corporate at (574) 825-8000 or Customer Support (direct) at (574) 825-9679
    - Fax: (574) 825-9249
    - Email: [email protected]

- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/GrandDesignRv
    - Twitter: https://twitter.com/granddesignrv
    - Google+: https://plus.google.com/113479014558069639097
    - LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/company/grand-design-rv-llc
    - Vimeo: https://vimeo.com/granddesignrv
    - YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCHa...PuUd3J3NHNyXVQ

For EMERGENCY or immediate assistance contact your RV dealer or GDRV Customer Support directly at (574) 825-9679 with your 17-digit RV VIN, name, and phone number.

scott42blue
    Mark and Janice
    Never thought I would say this " BUT " that really sounds like a " Thor, Forest River, Berkshire answer !!!!!.
    Customer buys 80K RV from GD and you tell him to drill through storage box to install correct bolts ?
    I have no problem with my 355 TH but if I was Tow Hauler. I would think about different brand next time.
    Scott

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Do you have a better solution? Not trying to sound like an jerk or anything, but if there is no other solution what else is there to do?
    Curtis, Christine, Cole, and Charlotte

2007 Chevrolet Silverado Duramax LBZ, CCLB
    2020 Momentum 351M

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Do you have a better solution? Not trying to sound like an jerk or anything, but if there is no other solution what else is there to do?
    I would want to hear. Lets up help you get it to a dealer as fast as possible so we can take care of this issue under warranty.
    Scott

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, but if you read his post, he was fixing the problem himself and was asking how to get to those bolts.

2020 Momentum 351M

Setting Up Camp
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the back up offtohavasu but if I can get a shop do with work needed to do but the right way I would let them seeing its a new rig but
    if its not to my liking I can do the work my self

We will see??
    2015 385
    2012 Dodge 3500
    Meyers Tow'd (Tiger Tow'd)
    Meyers Tow'd (Norra Race Tow'd)
    1923 VW mid engine T bucket
    Bigdog Mastiff

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm curious about something, please don't take it the wrong way. You say that the car is the size of a sxs and the same weight or less. Are you basing that off of the manufacturers curb weight? You might want to run by a CAT scale and get it weighed. With the driver and whatever else is in it, it might weigh a little more than you think. Our RZR800 EPS has a curb weight of 1041 pounds, then factor in the driver and everything we carry in it and we don't hit 1500 pounds on the ramp at a time.

http://www.polaris.com/en-us/rzr-sid...evans-le/specs
    Editor - www.RamGunner.com and www.MomentumGunner.com
    2014 Ram 3500 Tradesman/CTD/AISIN/4.10/4WD/CC/LB/DRW/VHF/UHF/APRS/CB/SCANNER
    B&W RVK3600 5th Wheel Hitch/Reese 30140 Gooseneck Ball/Gen-Y HDGH-604 Receiver
    2016 Momentum 385TH (Internal LAN/AV Distribution/Polaris RZR 800 EPS/CB/SCANNER/VHF/UHF/APRS and HF for World-Wide Communications)

scott42blue
    Quote Originally Posted by offtohavasu View Post
    Yes, but if you read his post, he was fixing the problem himself and was asking how to get to those bolts.
    Curtis and all sorry I missed the part about owner wanted to fix it himself I just skimmed over first part my mistake.
    I have heard about this issue before and thought it was a occasional event caused by a install crew skipping washers a few times. I decided to check mine this morning and found slight movement in center hinges. I doubt ramp as been up and down 100 times.
    After that I got creeper and flashlight to check the 4 outside bolts that can be touched. To my amazement there was no nuts or washers. No additional steel added or welded nuts added to back side of mounting point.
    This piece is is around 16 gauge or about 1/16 thick. I was shocked to say the least.
    Seeing that I got a digital inspection camera out and checked inside mounting bolts ( pictures below ). No additional steel, no welded nuts. Pictures show just a 3/8 bolt run through a thin piece of steel. It really made me question this complete GD quality thing. I have already bought stainless bolts and will be drilling into box this weekend. Worst thing is in my view it is a patch not a full repair.
    Scott

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear ramp 002.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	2230Click image for larger version. 

Name:	rear ramp 003.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	15.3 KB 
ID:	2231

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No worries Scott! Although this has GD's name on it, I think it's a Lippert issue. Hopefully GD can bring it to their attention.

2020 Momentum 351M

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast