User Tag List

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

About to pull the trigger

Newbie here making my first post. I stumbled across this forum a few hours and been reading posts for the last few hours. Finally, I decided to ask my question...

So... my wife and I (along with our 7-year old) are about to pull the trigger and move to full time RVing. It started as kind of a "dream" about 6 months ago, but the more we research, the more ready we are. So here's my situation and question:

We definitely have decided on a fifth wheel, and in all our research (along with walking through a ton), we've landed on Grand Design Solitude 380FL. Once my wife saw that bathroom, nothing else was good enough. We're probably going to buy a used one (2020 seems like a sweet spot) and then spend some time and money renovating it to meet our needs.

My concern is this. That bad boy seems REALLY close to it's GVWR empty. There's less than 2,000 pounds between it's dry weight and it's max weight. Am I just overthinking this? I don't know what things weigh, but I'm thinking 30 gallons of water is 250lbs, a generator can't be light, I have probably 100-150 pounds of music gear that's coming along, bikes, clothes, etc.

Just a little more background, we'll be staying at RV parks with full hookups 90% + of the time, so I'm not worried about loading up for long boondocking trips. I plan on moving every 1-2 months. Life's a marathon not a sprint, and that's one of the things that's attracting us to this lifestyle. Also, as for a truck, when enough people told me to get an F450, I stopped looking and that's what will be pulling this.

My only last concern is this weight issue.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and you'll definitely be seeing me around.

Mentioned
    83 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know the specs on that particular model, but it is common in the Solitude line to have more cargo area than capacity. This was one reason we chose our Solitude S-Class, which had one of the highest, if not the highest, CCC at the time. You are quite correct in that the capacity gets gobbled up quickly and even more true in full-time use.
    Rob & Nikki + Cloverfield
    2020 Grand Design Solitude S-Class 3350RL
    2015 RAM 3500 Longhorn Laramie Crew Cab, Long Bed, 4x4 Dually Cummins/AISIN

Mountains of Pennsylvania

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only way I would consider a 380FL for full-time living is if it were ordered from the factory with the 8,000 lb. axle/disc brake/load range H tires option. The published dry weights are usually low (you don't really know until a rig comes off the line and is weighed what it really weighs) so, at 1,934 lbs. CCC per brochure specs (no options!), this model would be a no-go for me for full-timing... especially with children. We are a retired couple and, carrying only the minimum, are well over 2,000 lbs. of "stuff."

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Second Chance View Post
    The only way I would consider a 380FL for full-time living is if it were ordered from the factory with the 8,000 lb. axle/disc brake/load range H tires option. The published dry weights are usually low (you don't really know until a rig comes off the line and is weighed what it really weighs) so, at 1,934 lbs. CCC per brochure specs (no options!), this model would be a no-go for me for full-timing... especially with children. We are a retired couple and, carrying only the minimum, are well over 2,000 lbs. of "stuff."

Rob
    Hi Rob,

Thank you for the response. So next newbie question. Would increasing the axles to 8K give us 2K more carrying capacity? I'm a math guy, but with things like this that I don't fully understand, I never know if it's that easy.

Thanks,
    Jason

Mentioned
    187 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
    Hi Rob,

Thank you for the response. So next newbie question. Would increasing the axles to 8K give us 2K more carrying capacity? I'm a math guy, but with things like this that I don't fully understand, I never know if it's that easy.

Thanks,
    Jason
    There's more to it than just the axles and springs; there are the tires to match the load and the brakes to stop it. If the unit is retrofitted (didn't come off the line that way) these upgrades would not change the GVWR on the sticker, either. If the unit were upgraded with 8k axles, disc brakes, and some good tires (and your rims have to be rated for the pressure of the upgraded tires), you would be safer - if not "legal."

On the topic of full-timing, have you read up on legal domicile? Here's a good place to start if you haven't already:

https://www.escapees.com/education/d...xoC0aoQAvD_BwE

Rob
    U.S. Army Retired
    2012 F350 DRW CC LB Lariat PS 6.7
    2020 Solitude 310GK-R, MORryde IS, disc brakes,
    Sailun LRG tires, solar, DP windows, W/D
    (Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
    Full time since 08/2015

Site Sponsor
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We have a 380FL and love it. We don't full-time but are on the road several weeks at a time. The bathroom size is great and really a plus. If you make the decision to never boondock, then no carrying water in the fresh water tank or a generator to save some weight. There's a lot of volume of storage, but gets taken up quickly with bulky items like 2 bikes, rhino dump cart, etc. I echo Rob's suggestion of the 8K axle/disc brake/tire upgrades too. I will do this to ours next year. This is our first year with the 380FL so wanted to make sure it was the one before doing these upgrades.

There is room in the 8' truck bed to store items in front of the 5th wheel hitch. If you get a folding bed cover like a bakflip, those items are somewhat covered by the last section of bed cover that can stay down while towing. Might be a good place for a generator for example if you think you need one.
    New: 2021 Solitude 380FL
    Prior: 2016 Alpine 3600RS
    Tow: 2017 F350 Diesel Dually

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Captcolour View Post
    We have a 380FL and love it. We don't full-time but are on the road several weeks at a time. The bathroom size is great and really a plus. If you make the decision to never boondock, then no carrying water in the fresh water tank or a generator to save some weight. There's a lot of volume of storage, but gets taken up quickly with bulky items like 2 bikes, rhino dump cart, etc. I echo Rob's suggestion of the 8K axle/disc brake/tire upgrades too. I will do this to ours next year. This is our first year with the 380FL so wanted to make sure it was the one before doing these upgrades.

There is room in the 8' truck bed to store items in front of the 5th wheel hitch. If you get a folding bed cover like a bakflip, those items are somewhat covered by the last section of bed cover that can stay down while towing. Might be a good place for a generator for example if you think you need one.
    Thank you fir that insight. It’s nice to hear from someone that actually has this model. We do really love the design a lot. It’s a lot to think about for sure.

Jason

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    2020 not a good year,, pumped rvs out like red cups,,, possible problems in yr or 2,,, 2019,18,17,, good options or 2022,, just sayin,,

Left The Driveway
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonK View Post
    Newbie here making my first post. I stumbled across this forum a few hours and been reading posts for the last few hours. Finally, I decided to ask my question...

So... my wife and I (along with our 7-year old) are about to pull the trigger and move to full time RVing. It started as kind of a "dream" about 6 months ago, but the more we research, the more ready we are. So here's my situation and question:

We definitely have decided on a fifth wheel, and in all our research (along with walking through a ton), we've landed on Grand Design Solitude 380FL. Once my wife saw that bathroom, nothing else was good enough. We're probably going to buy a used one (2020 seems like a sweet spot) and then spend some time and money renovating it to meet our needs.

My concern is this. That bad boy seems REALLY close to it's GVWR empty. There's less than 2,000 pounds between it's dry weight and it's max weight. Am I just overthinking this? I don't know what things weigh, but I'm thinking 30 gallons of water is 250lbs, a generator can't be light, I have probably 100-150 pounds of music gear that's coming along, bikes, clothes, etc.

Just a little more background, we'll be staying at RV parks with full hookups 90% + of the time, so I'm not worried about loading up for long boondocking trips. I plan on moving every 1-2 months. Life's a marathon not a sprint, and that's one of the things that's attracting us to this lifestyle. Also, as for a truck, when enough people told me to get an F450, I stopped looking and that's what will be pulling this.

My only last concern is this weight issue.

Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance, and you'll definitely be seeing me around.
    Congrats on the decision! Wife and I made the decision a year ago with our 3 kiddos, 2 dogs and have had no regrets.

Good call on the 450, I also made that call as I knew full-time living we would be towing heavy, and if there were any brake issues on the trailer I wanted enough truck to handle it... Turns out, it was put to the test this August towing throw the mountains heading to California, wire on one of the electromagnets was loose rubbing against brake hub until it rubbed through, glad I had the 450.

Our 395m is 15,482 unloaded with a GVWR of 20k... After all our stuff and a Honda pioneer, we are barley under that GVWR, no room for boondocking and we shoot for the same, month stays with full hookups.

Congrats on the decision, enjoy the ride, I think it's totally worth it!